Originally Posted by jscraig
Can anyone tell me what going on with my battery. It won't hold a charge. It's smoking, I hear it hissing and I smell rotten eggs. It's not even a year old yet. I let it in my camper over winter, and kept it plugged into my electricity. I'm sure I've ruined it, but thought I would ask the experts first.
My guess is you were not charging the battery when the camper was plugged in. You could have tripped a breaker between the converter and the battery or the battery disconnect was open.
In this case the battery went dead; then froze. A fully charged battery will not freeze but a dead one will.
Cracked plates from the freezing can short out when charged creating sparks which could ignite hydrogen created during the charging. NEVER try to charge a battery that has frozen. This could happen:
We looked all over and never could find the caps ...
Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW