Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #1

Battery tender?

Is it a good idea to put battery tender on camper battery for the winter? If so a 12v one right
urocav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #2

I keep a tender on my trailer all time not in use. Also keep one on my farm tractor lawn mower and motorcycle. I have greatly extended battery life on all of these.
Ray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray01 View Post
I keep a tender on my trailer all time not in use. Also keep one on my farm tractor lawn mower and motorcycle. I have greatly extended battery life on all of these.
After considerable research, I have concluded that they are unnecessary as long as you monitor the battery voltage and put a charge on them once a month or so. There are lots of people that swear by them and lots of beneficial claims, but I have not seen ANY hard data by independent tester's that can back up these claims. So do what you want.

They probably do not hurt, maybe.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #4

Well I am on the other side of the fence. I had a battery tender on my motorcycles and have lost 3 batteries in 3 years. They were good quality tenders so am not sure what happened.
I am going to pull on my fathers advice and history....before battery tenders he would pull the battery out of our boat or RV, charge them up, then put them in the garage or his work shop (placed on a piece of wood on the concrete floor...not directly on the floor). They were left all winter long then before using again in the spring he charged up again to make sure they were full and then placed back into the boat or RV...my father had batteries and has batteries that are 10 plus years old and work just fine.
Something to be said for a tried and true...!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #5

I've had them in my bikes and four wheelers and worked fine had batteries for appx 3-4 years each time so I don't know...
Old 10-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I use a battery tender on my motorcycle and the last battery lasted nearly 10 years.

Having said that with the motorcycle, I do it differently with my 6-volt batteries on the camper. I'm a fully charge-disconnect-and-check with my multimeter every 6 weeks kind of guy. Note that I store outside and live in WI so the biggest concern is to make sure the batteries won't freeze. I recharge at about 70% SOC.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #7

So will I need a 6v battery tender or 12v. It has one stock battery on it ?
Old 10-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #8

Triguy - What voltage would you consider low enough to then attach a charger/Tender? Thx.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #9

12v Battery Charger, Battery Desulfator, Battery Maintainer, Charger
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #10

Battery Tender (the brand) goes on our Harley over winter; commercial lawn mower, Super Duty tow vehicle, deep cycle marine battery on boat, travel trailer battery, and farm tractor. Those six batteries are idle for months, and five Tenders keep them in top condition.

The first Harley battery was replaced in 6th year; mower battery in the 8th year, and now on 5th year with boat battery. It's frequently sub-zero during winter where I live, and I feel this product has extended the life of each battery. In fact, the Tenders are attached whenever the machines are not in use. I use the ends that attach directly to the terminal posts, and have the male/female plug on the end. Hook-up and disconnect is quick and simple.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I feel the Tenders paid for themselves several times over. And, I lack the ambition to haul all the batteries inside during winter!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #11

I've used a CTEK for several years and haven't had any problems. Works pretty much like all the others... I think it charges at around 3.5A or so until the batteries hit 14.4V and then tapers off the amperage until around 1.9A and shuts off. Kicks back on when the batteries go below 12.7V and repeats. After I've taken a chunk out of the charge on mine, I'll check the water then let it run through a charge cycle, disconnect and recheck the water, then hook it back up and forget about it.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricInColorado View Post
Triguy - What voltage would you consider low enough to then attach a charger/Tender? Thx.
I like to keep the batteries above 12.37, which is what Trojan lists for the 70% mark.

So, my routine is to check and, if close to 12.37, I'll bring out the charger and let it do its thing. It usually takes a couple of months to drop that far so I charge usually once during the winter.

I should stress that my batteries are totally disconnected when in storage so there are no parasitic draws.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 10-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #13

Thanks, Triguy. I just brought my battery in the house, and will keep an eye on it. I've already spent way too much on RV accessories the last month, and would rather skip buying a Tender, if I can.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

That sounds like a good plan. I think you'll be fine if you can put the multimeter on the battery every 6 weeks or so to make sure its keeping a charge over time. Realistically, I think 50% SOC is the minimum to keep it healthy.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 10-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #15

I understand if Battery Tender brand is made in the USA. That will justify the price.However, if it's chinese, just order one from china freight. On sale they are around eight bucks.
Batteries are actually pretty complicated and getting knowledge in proper use, charging, etc. that directly determines battery life is essential. Just think about it, electric car batteries have huge limitations, even after tens if not hundreds of millions in research have been spent. Everything from storage temperature, number of cumulative discharges below 50%, phantom drains that exist in RV's are all considerations. Oh, and the storage on concrete is bad for a battery is just a myth. But, old wives tales die hard, no pun intended.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock