Some - time I talk funny lol...

Don & Dona W/yorkies Gizmo, Master Chief, & Tali
2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS 2015 Ford 6.7 XLT
2010 Full Timers & Still Going
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by force View Post
We keep a fitted sheet on the mattress & topper to keep them as a single unit. When we fold the bunk up, I make sure the mattress is folded and pushed as far toward the front before I flip the front bunk up from the outside. Have not had a problem with anything staying in place.

Note that I do not use the little snaps to hold the mattress in place. Those things are a little silly imho

Here are a few pics I just took. Was time to check the Roo's hibernation status today anyway.

That's impressive, Force. And those are 3" foam mattresses?

I may have to give that a try. It'll be worth it. My only thought when I try this in the spring is to make certain the bunks remain sealed when closed and there is no undue pressure on the latches (where they bolt to the frame).

Thanks for the pics. That's helpful.

DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #33
Resident Masshole
Thanks Scott. Yes, 3" from Target on the front, and I think it's just a 2" on the rear bunk for the kids.

Agreed on the seals & being careful about latch pressure. I carry a 4' ladder so I can get up and see all the seals really well as I close it up, while my wife pulls the canvas in tight from the inside. I can get the bunk pretty tight before working the latch, so I don't think it adds too much pressure (knocks on wood).

I've also traveled down some pretty rough roads, and everything stays in place just as the pic shows.
Tom F.
2013 GMC 2500HD SLT Crew Cab
2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #34
Moderators' Assistant
Grizzlygibbs, doesn't your Roo have the straps/snaps to fasten the mattress to the inside of the bunk door?
that's what mine has but i'm only familiar with the older bungee/snap canvas. don't the newer pre-attached canvas ones still have this?

by the way, we have no issues tucking the canvas in with the mattress fastened to the bunk door, not in the 7 years we've owned ours. not even with the foam topper. we do something similar to Force, but our topper isn't that thick.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:15 AM   #35
Thanks Force, mine falls from that position when I have the foam pad on the mattress.

Bikendan, it does have the snaps on the bed platform and the mattress but the snaps do not stay attached with the added thickness of our Costco Gel Memory Foam topper. It bulges out like Force's mattress and inevitably ends up on the ground or up against the slide. The slide catches it on the way out. Not a huge issue but enough to irritate me. I was just curious how others addressed this.

2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited w/tow mirrors, 5.7L, 4.30 gears, six speed tranny, towing package, Firestone Ride Rite airbags.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

233, 233s, bed, roo