Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #1

Before purchasing, should we be concerned about...

Hi all -

My husband and I have put a deposit down on a used 2016 Shamrock 23IKS. We went back this weekend to do a better inspection and found a few things that we'd like to understand if they should be deal breakers or are minor things.

1. 2 stains near the top of one of the bed canvases
2. Several small (~1-2 in) bubbles on the roof
3. Bent bolt under main slide

I've attached pictures below.

Re: stain - The stains could be from condensation in the camper but we are afraid it could also be a leak. If so, the dealer would patch it. Is this sufficient? We are expecting rain this week and hoping to test it but may have to rely on a hose test if it doesn't end up raining (forecast says 20% chance).

Re: small bubbles - searching on this site seemed to have mixed responses with some folks saying this is a big cause of concern but most seeming to indicate that this is a watch and repair if it continues to expand

Re: bent bolt - one of the under bed cabinet doors was open at some point when the slide was moved in. The cabinet door hinges were clearly repaired (there's nothing structural wrong there, just cosmetic). Outside, underneath the main slide, the last bolt closest to the front of the trailer is bent as is some metal near it. This does NOT appear to impact the movement of the slide. It sounds fine and structurally it seems fine.

Our gut reaction is that these are all minor but since they affect the most expensive areas to fix/replace, we wanted to get someone else's perspective.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2778.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	152473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2779.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	152474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2780.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	152633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2783.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	152634  
RTWer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:38 AM   #2

If one of the site team members would move this to the Shamrock Forum, I'm sure you will get some help with your questions
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith52 View Post
If one of the site team members would move this to the Shamrock Forum, I'm sure you will get some help with your questions
Thread now in Shamrock sub-forum. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ut-145199.html

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:08 AM   #4

first two items are completely minor...

roof bubbles like that are almost normal...
if there is sponginess behind or around the bubbles or anywhere on the roof then walk away

minor water stains like that could have come from condensation during a humid/rainy evening that turned cool over night... you don't say where in the country this is in, but any humid area of the country will give you condensation on the inside that might leave marks like this... these stains are easily cleaned up

main thing to look for is water stains around the hinge area where the beds attach to body, and wavy sides on the bunk ends and any side of the RV indicating de-lamination

I can't comment about the bolts/hardware damage, but as long as the slide works well...

Hopefully everything else will check out...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:45 AM   #5
Always Learning

For me, I would want that bolt and the piece that looks bent both replaced. At some point in the future, you may need to remove that bolt and seeing it bent like that tells me it'll be a PITA (but then again, I'm entirely not mechanically-inclined nor able).
Old 09-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #6

Shamrock bolt bent

I can't comment on the stains/bubbles as that is out of my area of experience. But, by studying your excellent picture of the damage, I would suggest that it is superficial...but the little aluminum angle bracket could be easily straightened, using a Crescent wrench and a small amount of effort.

The bent bolt brings to mind the question of "Why is it so long?" as well as what bent it? If you would have someone move the slide in and out, while you observe what comes near the bent bolt, it may give a hint as to the cause. Also, very common in some industries, a bolt (unless it is a high strength one) will often be struck with a hammer after installation to keep the nut from backing off. Not what I would call a great practice, but effective. Note also that the nut is a "spin lock" (serrated washer head)type, also meant to effectively keep the nut from loosening. Hopefully, all of this is a "non-problem" but bears checking out..
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For me, I would want that bolt and the piece that looks bent both replaced. At some point in the future, you may need to remove that bolt and seeing it bent like that tells me it'll be a PITA (but then again, I'm entirely not mechanically-inclined nor able).
YOU may not be inclined or able..............but you are Dead On Right!

If you ever wanted to remove it you would have to cut it off flush with the top of the nut, (a hacksaw would be perfect) and then the nut would come right off.

Of course you would have to replace the bolt then because you may never be able to get the nut to start back on the bolt.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWer View Post
Hi all -

My husband and I have put a deposit down on a used 2016 Shamrock 23IKS. We went back this weekend to do a better inspection and found a few things that we'd like to understand if they should be deal breakers or are minor things.

1. 2 stains near the top of one of the bed canvases
2. Several small (~1-2 in) bubbles on the roof
3. Bent bolt under main slide

I've attached pictures below.

Re: stain - The stains could be from condensation in the camper but we are afraid it could also be a leak. If so, the dealer would patch it. Is this sufficient? We are expecting rain this week and hoping to test it but may have to rely on a hose test if it doesn't end up raining (forecast says 20% chance).

Re: small bubbles - searching on this site seemed to have mixed responses with some folks saying this is a big cause of concern but most seeming to indicate that this is a watch and repair if it continues to expand

Re: bent bolt - one of the under bed cabinet doors was open at some point when the slide was moved in. The cabinet door hinges were clearly repaired (there's nothing structural wrong there, just cosmetic). Outside, underneath the main slide, the last bolt closest to the front of the trailer is bent as is some metal near it. This does NOT appear to impact the movement of the slide. It sounds fine and structurally it seems fine.

Our gut reaction is that these are all minor but since they affect the most expensive areas to fix/replace, we wanted to get someone else's perspective.

Thank you!
Look at the ceiling above the bed that is water stained. Is it discolored as if it too had been wet, or is the wallpaper that covers the plywood inside bubbling too? Both are signs of a water leak.

Get up onto the room and look at EVERY seam and area where any lap sealant was used to seal the rubber roof. Look for the TINYIST crack in that lap sealant. A pin hole will let in a surprising amount of water that will do HUGE damage!

RUN don't walk away from that particular unit if that is the case. You DO NOT want to start out with a leaky roof!

the roof bubbles were covered elsewhere. They are not ideal but not a problem unless the roof is soft beneath them.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #9

Going straight for the bent hardware on the slide...
You need to know WHY? And yes, as someone else said, make the dealer replace it. It will need to be cut off with a mini-grinder or good dremel tool, and then two people will need to remove it...one to crank on the nut and one to hold the roll on the bolt. That may be no big deal, or it may involved disassembling part of the interior. Either way, don't drive off the lot with that liability.

And again, find out WHY that bolt was bent. If the slide "derailed" somehow and was properly repaired, no big deal. But if the answer is "we don't know," I'd be very leery about buying this RV. Slide problems are no fun.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:32 PM   #10

Thanks

Thanks, everyone! This is great feedback. I will follow up on most of these items and hope that everything checks out - and is! - ok.
RTWer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:32 AM   #11

The stains may because the previous owners were smokers. Smoking in humid conditions will leave stains near the top of walls or canvas. May not be an issue.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #12

Perhaps a rock or other road debris hit the bolt while travelling?
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #13

Water Leaks

If you don't know, Travel Trailers are built with pressboard, and apparently glued together with Elmer's glue. The slightest leak will cause expansion of the wood and delimitation of the sides, roof, and I assume flooring. I recently had a tiny leak on the edge of my roof, and it caused a large bubble on the side of the trailer and a small (but bigger than yours) bubble on the roof. I caulked everything I could see that could leak, and painted over all of the factory sealant with Snow Roof. Hopefully, that will stop the problem.

Unless you are getting a great price on that trailer, I'd look for one without the bubbles on the roof.