Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #1

Best floorplan for Turtling?

We're finalizing our purchase plans and just wanted to collect some thoughts on what makes for a good layout when turtling for a family of 3 (me, DW & DD).

We would probably turtle only when:
1. Staying for a quick night as part of a long trip
2. When the weather is bad enough to want to keep the bunk ends
3. When required to in bear country

We are leaning towards the 23IKSS which has the drawback of requiring us to deploy at least one slide slide to gain access to kitchen and bathroom.

Any other consideration to weigh when thinking about turtling?

Thanks!
Martingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Turtling?

I think the urban dictionary term for turtling is something different then what talking about [emoji12]

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Turbs, "turtling" is a term unique to hybrid TT's.
It's when you sleep in a hybrid without deploying the canvas queen bed ends by sleeping on the dinette or sofa.

Personally, a hybrid with a u-dinette and sofa would be the best for turtling, like the 23SS. Its u-dinette is way better for 2 adults, than the 23IKSS' s conventional dinette.
By the way, there aren't that many campgrounds for a hybrid to fit in, that have bear issues. For example, in Yellowstone, only one campground has a permanent ban on soft-sided campers, where you would have to "turtle" to stay there. And Yosemite has no such ban at any of their campgrounds.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:03 AM   #4

We have the 233s and turtle in the winter u shape dinette an the longer sofa works great with slide in or out .

2014 roo 233S. 2008 saab 97x
dado39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:16 AM   #5

Thanks folks. It does sound like either the 23Ss or 233SS with the U-shaped dinettes would have an advantage over the 23IKSS - so we just have to weigh the offsetting features.

And Dan, thanks for the info on bear restrictions. I thought Yellowstone had more than just at Fish Camp.

Of course our dream trailer would be the 23IKSS with a U-shaped dinette and the tub style of bathroom/shower offered on a couple of the 21' models. Seems like FR could have taken that extra space in the rear bunk of the 23IKSS and used it to offer a larger shower enclosure. Oh well, can't have everything...
Old 11-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #6
phat phrog stunt crew

I think if a bear wants in bad enough the bear will find a way, hard sides or not.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Turbs, "turtling" is a term unique to hybrid TT's.
It's when you sleep in a hybrid without deploying the canvas queen bed ends by sleeping on the dinette or sofa.

Personally, a hybrid with a u-dinette and sofa would be the best for turtling, like the 23SS. Its u-dinette is way better for 2 adults, than the 23IKSS' s conventional dinette.
By the way, there aren't that many campgrounds for a hybrid to fit in, that have bear issues. For example, in Yellowstone, only one campground has a permanent ban on soft-sided campers, where you would have to "turtle" to stay there. And Yosemite has no such ban at any of their campgrounds.
Thanks!
Why Is this the first time I've heard this term? Lol

Turbs
Old 11-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
Camper Less Camping

Turtling...sounds like a bear snack! LOL

Old 11-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Thanks!
Why Is this the first time I've heard this term? Lol

Turbs
Maybe you should hang around here more.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Maybe you should hang around here more.
I know right!

Turbs
Old 11-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #11

The ability to get to the fridge and bathroom while "turtled" or closed was one of our higher priority reasons for choosing the 23ss model. It's not a show stopper, but it's nice to pull into a rest stop, hop in and make lunch without opening slides. That 23ikss is a beauty, though!
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
I think if a bear wants in bad enough the bear will find a way, hard sides or not.
From my experience in Yosemite the bears have learned that windows are easier to break than the metal sides. Some have even learned to access the trunk via the backseat. It really all depends upon how easy other food is to access.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #13

I may be partial since we have a 23IKSS but for just three of you I think it would be a great choice. Adults on the sofas air bed and the kid(s) on the dinette. The nice thing about the IKSS is having two slides so even when turtling you won't feel cramped.
And yes, I wish it did have the U shaped dinette.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martingale View Post
Of course our dream trailer would be the 23IKSS with a U-shaped dinette and the tub style of bathroom/shower offered on a couple of the 21' models.
I've thought the same thing - U dinette would be nice, and about the only thing the 23IKSS lacks to be perfect is a bigger shower.

Hopefully you get a chance to look at the IKSS and 23SS side by side to choose. My own opinion - we don't ever turtle. Even for a quick overnight, we always find a campground close to the highway. It gives the kids a chance to swim or play for a little while we have a cocktail and cook dinner. With a pull through site the front bunk will clear the tailgate of my truck, so we don't unhook which makes for a quick stop. And if its too cold to put the tents down, it too cold to camp IMO. We've added PUGS and relfectix to be comfortable down to 30 degrees or so. But we have found anything much below that has issues even turtling won't help - mainly condensation on the windows and potential for frozen plumbing.

Some people do use campers in really cold temps for hunting season or whatever, but it takes a lot of prep work. And, you can get double pane windows on the Roo now, which would be a nice feature, but it is fairly pricey.

If you do want to turtle with the IKSS absolutely get the air bed sofa.

The IKSS isn't suitable for turtling without putting the slides out. If you do, its workable, but maybe not the ideal setup. If that is only a rare occasion, the features it has when fully setup might outweigh that drawback.

Good luck on your shopping trip!

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #15

We turtle if it's going to rain and we want to leave the next morning. Don't have to fold up wet canvas.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #16

In our 23IKSS we have the couch that folds out and has a nice air mattress on it. I think a couple could sleep on that a one child could sleep on the dinette just fine.
kellieh04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #17

I have a 23ikss and a family of 3 could turtle but it would be cozy. If turtling includes overnights in a Walmart parking lot you are out as they do not want you to deploy slides which you must do in a 23ikss, If turtling is a major issue with you, I would go with a hard sided rv, however we love the extra floor space in our 23ikss and don't consider turtling much of a major issue as we would only do in a rare instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
richl167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #18

I can easily sleep 4 in my 233s all closed up and still get to everything

2014 roo 233S. 2008 saab 97x
dado39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #19

I would think when you turtle and plan on sleeping you would extend your slides which should give you access to everything but the beds.
We picked 233s because you can sleep 4 between bed/sofa and if needed still have floor space for an inflatable mattress.
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #20

Well we weighed all the trade-offs and decided that we could live with the suboptimal nature of the 23IKSS floorplan when turtled - as we expect this to be a very rare occasion (we hope). Plus, we will mostly be a party of 3 so that (mostly) works in the 23IKSS when closed up anyway.

Our new 23IKSS is rumbling across the country towards us as we speak, so I guess I'll get to try that theory out in a few days...

Already have plans to use it over the Holidays out in the desert and then some beach camping in January. Finally remembered some of the nice aspects about living in SoCal!

Now I just have to find time and motivation to get the old PUP ready to sell... because the new Roo is going to be so much more fun to play with!