Old 08-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #1

bike rack ideas

I am looking for a way to mount a bike rack or carry bikes. I made a clamp on reciever for the back bumper but was told that it isn't reccomended because the welds could break. I was wondering if anyone here has any ideas on how to carry bikes. I have roo 21ss. thanks for any suggestions.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #2

I'd be curious as well. I have a 21RS and eventually would like to get bikes and carry them. What's the best, safests method?

Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #3

Poptoprails

Bike rakes on ModMyRv.com
Old 08-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
Grape Escape

One I made for bikes,scooter carrier

Welded 2"receiver to 3"steel channel which is ubolted to the trailer frame and rests on top of bumper and u bolted to it as well.
Have carried a 200# scooter on back with special frame which slides into receiver with no problems. Any receiver type bike carrier works as well.

http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/45...600x600Q85.jpg
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:21 AM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

if you must put the rack on the rear, you'll need to have a receiver welded and braced to the frame and bumper. bolting or welding it to just the bumper is not enough.

my bikes are too expensive to risk being in the back of the trailer where i can't see them until they and the rack are bouncing down the road!

i have a ball mount rack on the rear step bumper of my Avalanche. it'll carry up to 3 bikes. i have enough clearance except on extremely tight turns. that way i can see them in the rear view mirror.
the Toppoprails rack is by far the best solution, but also the most expensive one.
i wish Yakima or Thule would come out with something similar and cheaper.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #6

Added Hitch to Front of Truck for Bikes

I have a 2006 Ford F150. I installed a trailer hitch to the front of my truck and purchased a bike rack for our bikes. We travelled 6 months and 16,000 miles with our bikes in front. No problems with the exception of a few bug bodies to wash off now and then.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 AM   #7

I have a bike rack that holds 4 bikes which is a lot of weight. You may want to check into the weight rating of your trailer bumper. At the last RV show we went to Forest River had put a sticker on the back of there travel trailers with the weight rating on them, I believe that the max weight rating is 150 lbs at 6" extended out. There are two great suggestion here, If you have to put the rack on the back of your TT have It welded to the frame or have It installed on the front of your tow vehicle, remember If your bikes fall off It could be very ugly on the highway. Spend the money and do It right.
One other thing I noticed about receivers, a bike rack fits tighter in a class 4 then In a class 3, with a tighter fit there is less movement up and down when you hit a bumb in the road, the rack moves with the motion of the trailer then on It's own which causes less stress on the bumper of the trailer. The same thing go's for utility trailers, If the load is tight down then the load moves at the same rate as the trailer so there is no counter action from the load.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmojvlff View Post
I am looking for a way to mount a bike rack or carry bikes. I made a clamp on reciever for the back bumper but was told that it isn't reccomended because the welds could break. I was wondering if anyone here has any ideas on how to carry bikes. I have roo 21ss. thanks for any suggestions.
If you have an SUV, put those puppies on top.....it shouldn't be any higher than your trailer.

If you have pickup, check out my signature for the solution I can up with. I rigged up some adapters that allowed me to mount some old Yak Rack gear to my Trac Rac system.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #9

I have a bolt on receiver for the rear bumper. I use a 4 bike carrier to haul our bikes. you can weld and bolt a receiver to the frame all you want. if you don`t support the weight of the bikes and rack they will still bounce around.

I mounted 2 eyebolts through the rear wall and bed studs to support the weight of the bikes. I use 2 ratcheting tiedowns and criss/cross them. I also use a tiedown under the bumper, over the reciever and back under the bumper to keep any twist from happening in the bumper/receiver. I also have a setbolt to take any vertical movement out of the hitch. here are some pics.

I have 2 years and many miles of towing and I have no issues with bouncing or flexing. I also have a rear camera on the trailer and the bikes are rock solid. before I put in the setbolt the bikes would still bounce around badly! now with the setbolt and the tiedowns I never worry about the bikes bouncing around!
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

Dodge Guy, unfortunately, your setup won't work with the hybrids because of the rear bunk.
there are no studs to put eyebolts into. mounting eyebolts to support the bikes, would weaken the integrity of the bed platform. the platform outer frame is the only thing i know of that keeps it rigid.
the only place to put such a setup would be on the corners of the back of the hybrid.

Tags
bike, bike rack, roo