Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #1

Bike Racks

I have read all the posts recommending against mounting to the rear bumper --- has anyone used a trunk/hatch mount type rack on the tow vehicle? I don't care about not being to open the back of the car -- but am concerned about having enough clearance between the SUV and the trailer for turning, etc. We tow with a 2006 long wheelbase Envoy Denali -- trailer is 2011 Roo 233S.

First trip tomorrow , and I am trying to keep the peace with my husband who REALLY wants to take the bikes (and has been told by neighbor who has bumper mounted rack on big trailer that I am overly cautious!)

Any and all insights appreciated!
triumphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Site Team

triumphess, i posted an answer on RV.net hybrid forum.

but, i did think of another solution.
i am currently using a ball-mount folding bike rack from Swagman. it bolts to your Denali's rear step bumper, in the hole for a ball. here's a pic:

i got one off of Ebay for about $60. it should hold the bike high enough to clear the battery on the tongue. i use it with two bikes on my '07 Avalanche, which has the same step bumper.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #3

triumphess,

We just purchased a 2011 233s and hit the same problem. I was using (with a popup) a Blue Ox 4-bike rack (similar to the one above) that attached to a bracket on the draw bar between the ball and receiver. However, it doesn't have near enough clearance to clear the tongue jack (we have an electric one) or the propane tanks. Thought about swapping the battery and propane tanks locations, but the jack would still get in the way. Luckily, all the new space inside the camper freed up enough space in the back of my E150 van for four bikes, electric scooter, couple of chairs and more. What about a rack on top of the tv? Good luck! Like your 233s? Not too many of us out there on the forums.

2019 Vibe 261BHS
2021 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear
Husky Centerline TS WD Hitch
Buckeyecmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #4

hellooooooo,

i built a rack and put it on the front of the trailer.
i think you can see the pictures at Picasa Web Albums - 11351261114590963... - Trailer pictures
this is on a Roo 23SS. i moved the battery box forward a few inches. i built the frame out of square tubing. i bought a receiver at walmart and welded it to the top. i left enough room for the bed to open when the rack is not on. it holds up to four bikes and works great. i have an equalizer hitch so there's no problem with added tongue weight.

joe phillips
jphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #5

jphillips,

Great work on the bike rack mod. If my camper wasn't new, I'd give that a shot...too chicken after spending all that money I do like it, and I think there's a lot of wasted space on these trailer tongues that could be better used...like for your rack. Thanks for the pics!

2019 Vibe 261BHS
2021 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear
Husky Centerline TS WD Hitch
Buckeyecmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #6

I put a 4 bike Swagman on the rear bumper of my 233S and have not problems. To eliminate bounce you could put a ratcheting strap from each door latch to the end of the bike rack. Of course as you can see, we only use the two outer places because of the spare, but it's just the wife and I anyhow.

'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.
popeye59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #7

New member just found your post on this bike rack mod and was thinking of doing that to solve my bike hauling problmes. Can you give me an update on how its worked out, held up, trouble with turning vehicle and such?
JIMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #8

We gave up on a bike rack. We generally put the bikes in the camper braced by whatever else we are bringing (and generally with an old blanket over them.)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

What about roof racks for the Envoy ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #10

Envoy is gone! We are now towing with a 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew. And it is waaay easier to just stick them inside (and they don't get wet, dirty, etc!)
Old 05-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphess View Post
Envoy is gone! We are now towing with a 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew. And it is waaay easier to just stick them inside (and they don't get wet, dirty, etc!)
Or get stolen, messed with or void the warranty on the frame.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphess View Post
Duh-uh.....I didn't notice this thread was started 2 years ago, and a member reactivated it again after all of that time. Whoops.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMS View Post
New member just found your post on this bike rack mod and was thinking of doing that to solve my bike hauling problmes. Can you give me an update on how its worked out, held up, trouble with turning vehicle and such?
JIMS, it would help knowing which person you're asking this of.

also, posting what type, make, year and model RV you have, would help.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #14

After reading all the posts NOT recommending adding a receiver hitch and talking to FR customer service, elected to just store our 2 bikes inside the TT. Actually takes less time than with bike rack. Never had any problems, but need to be careful not to bump anything when taking bikes in/out.

Since then we got a truck and this solved the problem...
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, roo