Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #1

Bike Racks for the hybrid

For some time now I have been searching for a way to transport my beloved bicycle camping with us. The bed of the truck is a no go as it has a tonneu on it. My dealer says it's a bad idea to put a bike rack on the rear bumper. Too much weight and bouncing. I called a hitch company that confirms this and further said that mounting a hitch to the trailer frame would not work because the frame is too light. (really??). So, have you guy's got any ideas or should I just get a really good pair of shoes?
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Always Learning

Your dealer and hitch company are spot on. The back of the camper is a really bad place unless you option in a bike rack (*if* your manufacturer/model offered it).

Otherwise, there are things like the super expensive Arvika bike racks:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ack-23345.html

On top of the truck is an option with a Yakima or Thule setup (again, spendy- but great products).

And some folks are mounting a front hitch to the truck and hanging the bikes up there with great success.

I did see a case where someone mounted bike fork mounts on the underside of their dinette bases. They flip them over when it's time to load bikes, clip them in and travel. I thought this was very slick- unfortunately none of my bikes have quick disconnects for the front wheel.

What I do currently- I use a beach blanket sheet "Neat Sheets" on top of my dinette and lay my bikes on their side. Between each bike, I have a sheet and just stack them up. 8,000 miles or so like that hasn't been an issue. I even have a stroller usually with it and just got a weird tricycle thing for my 1 year old that we include in yea ole stack.

What I want to try is building a bike rack out of PVC and setting that up so the bikes can ride standing up on the dinette.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #3

The dinette mounted racks ependydand mentioned were really nicely done. There are also some racks available that mount on the trailer tongue and hold the bikes above the propane tanks. I have a bike rack rack with a 'sleeve' that fits on the truck hitch's drawbar and carries the bikes on the back of the truck between the tailgate and the trailer tongue.

There are also a couple of tonneau cover systems that are combined with rack systems so you can have both. They are not cheap - but boy are they nice.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Op,
The frames are "light weight" and not structurally sound for the forces applied to it from a bike rack full of bikes.
But otherwise there strong enough for the purpose its intended.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

OP...As mentioned above, I'd consider the front bumper hitch on TV or roof rack as great bike carrier options.

Bumper hitch mount will be easier to handle but if you get bothered by staring at bikes during the drive...roof mount works awesome.

Good luck with your choice.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
Too much weight and bouncing. I called a hitch company that confirms this and further said that mounting a hitch to the trailer frame would not work because the frame is too light. (really??).
all hybrids have ultra-light frames which are not designed for the physics involved with a loaded bike rack that hangs out and away from the trailer's frame and since your trailer has no shocks, the bouncing causes the bikes' weight to pull back and down on the frame and rack.
most bike rack manufacturers won't even warrantee a rack that's mounted on a RV's bumper.
if you don't care about the frame's warrantee, a number of hybrid owners have had a 2" receiver welded and braced to the bumper AND the frame.

the Arvika system is sweet but WAY over-priced.

is your tonneau cover a hard one or soft one?
my Avalanche has a hard tonneau cover system and i'm planning on buying the Yakima Control Tower/Landing Pad 6 system for my tonneau cover.
saw a couple of trucks with this system installed on their tonneau covers, at a big bike festival.

currently i have a ball-mount Swagman bike rack on my truck's step bumper that holds the bikes above the A-frame's batteries.
i have no problems with clearance except on really tight turns.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #7

I know there is a hitch that goes over top of your propane tanks! On the top it has a receiver , so then you put any bike rack ya want.
Zwicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #8

I have a tonneau cover on my truck too but I made a rack to put them in my bed. Works great and was very inexpensive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131125_163248.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	43091

Sorry for the upside down attachment. Not sure why my phone did that. The picture was fine on my phone.
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
Site Team

here's a link to the other tongue mounted system i mentioned:

http://www.support-rack.com/wsf/produits/
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 11-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

I'd go the top o' the topper route. Then you can use the rack for other times the bike needs to come, too.

For those putting them on the dinette.....why not put them on the floor of the trailer? I plan on doing this: Cut a sheet of plywood to fit the section of floor you'll mount the following to: RockyMounts - 9mm Clutch Truck Bike Mount Then cover the plywood in carpet to protect precious interior finishes. This allows the bikes to ride locked-down and not tumbling around the interior.

I'm a big fan of roof racks, but my wife's downhill bike is not one you want to lift on the roof of a car......
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Is your tonneau cover a soft roll up?
Old 11-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grege View Post
I have a tonneau cover on my truck too but I made a rack to put them in my bed. Works great and was very inexpensive.

Attachment 43091

Sorry for the upside down attachment. Not sure why my phone did that. The picture was fine on my phone.
When taking pictures with a smart phone and putting them on frf you have to hold the phone sideways with the bottom in your right hand.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
You might want to either ditch or store the tonneau cover until you reach your destination. That's what I did when I had my TT. Here's a photo of a bike rack I made out of some 2x4's over a weekend. It was cheap and really worked great. One of the vertical 2x4's was secured at the base with only one bolt so it would swivel and was secured at the top with a bolt and wing nut thus pinching the front tire so it was secure. The front and rear of the bikes were additionally secured to the truck bed with bungee cords. The 2x4's framing a box was so I could store other gear without it sliding around and banging into the wheels. You could fashion it for more than two bikes if you choose.

Here's the youtube video I used to fabricate my own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0898.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	43100  

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
Always Learning

I'm a dinette carrier and what you propose is a good idea- we just don't have the floor space with the way our slides are.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #15

lloydg - Nice build!
ependydad - Ah, I see. my Roo 183 has no slides and thus a bunch of floor space. I forget this is not really the norm.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #16

Just curious, it is always mention not to mount a bike rack to the rear frame of a hybrid because of the light frame. It is said that the overhung weight of the bike rack bouncing is not good for the frame.

If you think about it isn't the bed hanging off the end of the unit an overhung weight extending even further out than a bike rack and supported basically by the same frame. To take it one step further put an overactive couple in that same bed and the bouncing could even be worse than the bikes.

Personally I mounted a rear bike rack to my previous pop up and I have one on my 23IKSS and have not experienced any problems with either

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Engauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engauge View Post
Just curious, it is always mention not to mount a bike rack to the rear frame of a hybrid because of the light frame. It is said that the overhung weight of the bike rack bouncing is not good for the frame.

If you think about it isn't the bed hanging off the end of the unit an overhung weight extending even further out than a bike rack and supported basically by the same frame. To take it one step further put an overactive couple in that same bed and the bouncing could even be worse than the bikes.

Personally I mounted a rear bike rack to my previous pop up and I have one on my 23IKSS and have not experienced any problems with either
I don't think you tow with people in the bed when it is extended. Big difference and the bed is not tied directly to the frame.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I don't think you tow with people in the bed when it is extended. Big difference and the bed is not tied directly to the frame.
No I don't tow with people in the bed but the point is the bed is supported by the frame, not directly to the frame but still supported by the frame. It is an over hung load even further out than a bike rack and supporting even more weight than a loaded bike rack when two full grown adults are on it. The last time I check the bed were rated in excess of 750 lbs. Whether it be the bikes bouncing while in transit or the bed bouncing while entertaining there is still a shock load to the system.

Even with the big difference being the bed is not tied directly to the frame then if you were to create a support off the frame and mount the bike rack to it them it would not be directly to the frame so it should be OK?

My point being and my two cents is that I have no issues with properly supporting a receiver off the frame to mount a bike rack and use it to carry two adult bikes.

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Engauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:35 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engauge View Post

i don't think you understand how a hybrid is engineered for the bunk door and its supports. the ends of the trailer's frame are designed to support those forces.
putting a loaded bike rack on a barely welded bumper is not the same.

can you have a receiver welded and braced to the frame AND the bumper and be successful. probably but most of us like to have our 5 year frame's warranty. doing this OR putting a bike rack on the bumper, will void the frame's warranty, but obviously you aren't worried.

personally, my frame's warranty is up but my bikes are too valuable to put on the back of a trailer, on a bike rack welded to an ultra light frame.
i prefer to keep them where i can see them and where i can see them if something begins to fail.
when something fails on the back of your trailer, you won't know it until you see the bikes and rack bouncing down the road, in your rear view mirror.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #20

And let's not forget any poor soul who happens to be traveling behind you when the rack and bike(s) let loose. Lethal. Do the right thing.
rbneron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, expandable, hybrid, shamrock