Old 09-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #21

I use the brackets mounted to the bumper that you show. I like them. Put the bikes on them, strap them down with rachet straps and away you go. I have them on a hard sided travel trailer and will put a thick rag in between the bike handle and camper to prevent damage. My camper has a rear slide, so I need to ensure the bikes are removed prior to putting it out. The results are not very good if you forget that! My spare is under the front frame of the trailer. On a previous trailer (without the slide) I used the racks for a spot to get the cooler off the ground. That way I didn't have to bend over so far when the beer got low......

Old 09-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #22

I like Rockfordroo's solution. I've been trying to figure out something for my 4 bikes since buying my 2016 Roo 183. BUT, I can't implement that just yet due to warranty issues.

In the mean time, I cover the lowered table and cushions with heavy cardboard and plastic and just lay the bikes on top of one another on the table. I would not do this with expensive bikes though. I use this method for my wife's bike (acquired in a garage sale), my 25 year old bike, my two kid's bikes, and a bike trailer. All stacked up. I do strap them all together and I'm very careful when moving them in and out of the Roo. Have used this method about a dozen times since buying the trailer and have had no issues.

ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #23

A question I haven't seen asked. My TT came with a spare tire rack and spare tire mounted to the bumper. What if I take the tire and rack off and add my bike rack and bike. My bike rack and bike weigh less than the tire and tire rack. The rack uses the same style of mounting. Would this work?

Im not actually going to do it, I have truck bars and I use a thule sidearm. But why wouldn't it be ok if FR put the tire and rack on that weighs more than a bike rack and my bike.I have a carbon bike. it just doesn't seem to add up? Thoughts?

Nights Camped (2017- 16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
A question I haven't seen asked. My TT came with a spare tire rack and spare tire mounted to the bumper. What if I take the tire and rack off and add my bike rack and bike. My bike rack and bike weigh less than the tire and tire rack. The rack uses the same style of mounting. Would this work?

Im not actually going to do it, I have truck bars and I use a thule sidearm. But why wouldn't it be ok if FR put the tire and rack on that weighs more than a bike rack and my bike.I have a carbon bike. it just doesn't seem to add up? Thoughts?
When I went on the Rockwood/Flagstaff tour that question came up. FR answer was to remove the spare and use a rack. They went as far to say that if you need service put the spare back on, but they would even not ding you if you didn't they over look it. Now that was from the Warranty manager himself.... PS: he also stated do not carry more wait then the spare tire.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #25

I use the 2nd option that VaTech posted. Since he and I both have SUV's (Sux Unleaded Vigorously) my 3 bike carrier hangs high enough to clear the jack. Now, with that said, no one tell the weight police since I just added more cargo weight right over the hitch.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
When I went on the Rockwood/Flagstaff tour that question came up. FR answer was to remove the spare and use a rack. They went as far to say that if you need service put the spare back on, but they would even not ding you if you didn't they over look it. Now that was from the Warranty manager himself.... PS: he also stated do not carry more wait then the spare tire.
Interesting, I just never saw this come up in the forums so I was curious. I know it is not the same as adding a 4 bike rack and putting 4 bikes on said rack but for a single light weight rack and a single carbon based framed bike the weight would be similar. My single bike rack and my Cannondale jekyll weigh a combines 35 pounds.

Nights Camped (2017- 16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #27
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
Back to thread. I have seen bike racks mounted on a rack on the trailer tongue above the propane tanks. Mostly on Canadian TTs but they seem pretty secure and you can see the bikes behind. I do not know the brand and haven't found thenm on the web.
best known one: Arvika/Toppoprails
Travel-Trailers

another Canadian company with different tongue solution: Support-Rack
SR 3000 - Support Rack

a third tongue setup, Stromberg-Carlson, which CW carries.
Bike Bunk (Model CC-275) :: "A" Frame Cargo Management :: Stromberg Carlson

like i've said before, i've seen many options and proposed solutions for carrying bikes on trailers.

for me, my bikes cost over $1000 each, so i want them in a secure and safe place, where i can see them. luckily i have a truck so most of the time i can store them in the bed. if not, i have a bumper mount rack for the truck bumper that allows me to carry bikes and still tow the trailer.

if i had the money, i'd buy a Yakima rack system to attach to the truck bed's hard covers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:26 PM   #28

Smile 8 years and 20,000 miles no problem

I have the four bike version, shortened to clear the spare tire and just hold two bikes. Took a few hours to shorten but well worth the time. You can unbolt it and rotate it up when it is not needed, sure it takes a few minutes but when not in use it is out of the way. The TT I has a standard size square tube bumper, no problems at all. I have pictures if you need them. Rick
Old 09-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #29

Attached bike rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechMan View Post
I know that there is a lot of heated discussion about putting bikes on the back bumper, usually swirling around discussions about adding in a tow hitch and then attaching to that.

That being said, I have two "other" ways I wanted to see if anyone had done and if they had success or issues.

1 - A multi-piece bracket on the bumper. I came across this on Amazon today, it is two piece set, one for the front wheels and one for the back wheels, and the attach to the bumper directly with U bolts on the left and right side. I do not think that the U-bolts would crush the bumper, but it does say "Bumper Bike Rack attaches to a 4" -4.5" RV bumper with a 6.5" U-Bolt". What I like about this option, if it works is that I can try to center things so that each of the brackets is close to where the bumper attaches to the frame.

(I have not tried this myself, and I do not even know if there is enough clearance for the spare tire. There is also a 4-bike version). Here is the Amazon Link: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002MGFKNW?psc=1

2 - There are a lot of bike racks that are designed to attach to the trunk of a car. They usually have some sort of frame that sits against the car and some arms coming off. Has anyone tried attaching something like this to the bunk ends. the clips for attaching are usually just sort of a hook, and I think that they could get into the top edge of the bunk. I would just be worried about damaging the rubber gasket on the bunk end. Also I do not know if the latches are designed to take that much force pulling out on the bunk ends during travel.

Just trying to think outside the box, since the normal solutions are not great for these trailers but I really need to find a nice place to put my bikes during travel, I hate having them on the back of my TV and would love to put them someplace else.

Thanks for your thoughts. If you have tried one of these two options, if you have pictures, that would be great to see.
I have tried that bike rack on back of toad (1999 Malibu) and have used in on a Saturn Vue and Suzuki SX4. Works great and did not mark the vehicles.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:48 PM   #30

I have used 4SQUARE Safety Struts for the past 2 years and they work great. You might try them. Bolted to the frame with 1/4" steel and wraps around bumper. Takes the strain off the welds. Do a Google search on them. They claim 400 lbs on the bumper. I remouted my spare tire under the trailer with the BAL Hide-A-Spare. Works great as well. I use a yakima 4 bike rack weighing 150 lbs for bikes and rack. Never a problem.

Tags
bike