Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #1

Bikes on Back Bumper, different method...

I know that there is a lot of heated discussion about putting bikes on the back bumper, usually swirling around discussions about adding in a tow hitch and then attaching to that.

That being said, I have two "other" ways I wanted to see if anyone had done and if they had success or issues.

1 - A multi-piece bracket on the bumper. I came across this on Amazon today, it is two piece set, one for the front wheels and one for the back wheels, and the attach to the bumper directly with U bolts on the left and right side. I do not think that the U-bolts would crush the bumper, but it does say "Bumper Bike Rack attaches to a 4" -4.5" RV bumper with a 6.5" U-Bolt". What I like about this option, if it works is that I can try to center things so that each of the brackets is close to where the bumper attaches to the frame.

(I have not tried this myself, and I do not even know if there is enough clearance for the spare tire. There is also a 4-bike version). Here is the Amazon Link: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002MGFKNW?psc=1

2 - There are a lot of bike racks that are designed to attach to the trunk of a car. They usually have some sort of frame that sits against the car and some arms coming off. Has anyone tried attaching something like this to the bunk ends. the clips for attaching are usually just sort of a hook, and I think that they could get into the top edge of the bunk. I would just be worried about damaging the rubber gasket on the bunk end. Also I do not know if the latches are designed to take that much force pulling out on the bunk ends during travel.

Just trying to think outside the box, since the normal solutions are not great for these trailers but I really need to find a nice place to put my bikes during travel, I hate having them on the back of my TV and would love to put them someplace else.

Thanks for your thoughts. If you have tried one of these two options, if you have pictures, that would be great to see.
VaTechMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

what is your tow vehicle? I use a front receiver hitch on my truck
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #3

I am using a Ford Expedition. I was looking at the front receiver hitch option, I just came across this today and thought that it seemed like an interesting option.

Thank you.
VaTechMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #4

Usually going to the bumper is not great. The bumpers aren't real robust. I had a 2" receiver welded to my frame and the bumper. See pics and diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch #1.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	87648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch #3.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	87649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch #5.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	87650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch #6.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	87651  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Roo Hitch.pdf (212.9 KB, 137 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #5

Any idea what your weight capacity is with your setup? Also, do you mind giving me an estimate of the cost to weld? I like this idea.
Kansas Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Option 1- doesn't change the physics of what happens to the bumper's weak welds. Multiple brackets don't help with this.

Option 2- same problem, Physics. That rack will bend the bunk door frame so it will be bowed, allowing for water intrusion. And also possible bunk seal damage.

As an avid cyclist, I have seen all the possible solutions proposed and neither of these two will be good on a hybrid TT.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:04 PM   #7

Dealer installed. $600 I think. Certified welder. Used it 3 yrs before I traded for a Mini-Lite; two bikes and Thule TH990XT rack. About 100 lbs total (plus the spare tire on the bumper). No problems with hitch, no problems with frame, no problems with bunk door.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Dealer installed. $600 I think. Certified welder. Used it 3 yrs before I traded for a Mini-Lite; two bikes and Thule TH990XT rack. About 100 lbs total (plus the spare tire on the bumper). No problems with hitch, no problems with frame, no problems with bunk door.
If you really want to put bikes on the rear of an ultralite trailer, something like rockfordroo's setup is the only good solution.
But if your trailer is new, it will probably void the frame chassis's warranty, if you have any frame problems later on.

My bikes are worth a lot of money, so I'm not going to put them anywhere I can't see them or possibly lose them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechMan View Post
I am using a Ford Expedition. I was looking at the front receiver hitch option, I just came across this today and thought that it seemed like an interesting option.

Thank you.
Are you in VA? (Just a guess by your user name) If so, carrying bikes in the front is illegal here. I was going to do the same until a state trooper informed me I could be ticketed for it.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Are you in VA? (Just a guess by your user name) If so, carrying bikes in the front is illegal here. I was going to do the same until a state trooper informed me I could be ticketed for it.
Could not find this section of Virginia driving Law for personal vehicles.

I did see something about a overhang was not to exceed 3 feet on the front of the vehicle. This was about commercial hauling.

Did he show you the codes or just told you this?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:30 AM   #11

I have mounted my bikes in a receiver hitch on the front of my F-150 where I can see them. After spending $41.86 for a night of camping at Natural Bridge state park in VA, I will drive around Virginia in the future and spend my money in parks more camper friendly. I live in Florida and as a senior citizen my fees are $9 to $15 a night. The VA state park was nearly empty, the grounds were cluttered and no one cleans out the fire rings.

2015 Rockwood 2703ws
Ford f-150
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Could not find this section of Virginia driving Law for personal vehicles.

I did see something about a overhang was not to exceed 3 feet on the front of the vehicle. This was about commercial hauling.

Did he show you the codes or just told you this?
I was told by an officer. At the time I did search the VA code and found something that seemed to say it was only allowed for public transit buses. Of course I can't locate it now after searching. Regarding a pick-up truck, my question would be what is the difference in having a bike rack there and a snowplow? I have sent an e-mail asking for clarification since I cold no longer find anything referencing it.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwoodjoe View Post
I have mounted my bikes in a receiver hitch on the front of my F-150 where I can see them. After spending $41.86 for a night of camping at Natural Bridge state park in VA, I will drive around Virginia in the future and spend my money in parks more camper friendly. I live in Florida and as a senior citizen my fees are $9 to $15 a night. The VA state park was nearly empty, the grounds were cluttered and no one cleans out the fire rings.

2015 Rockwood 2703ws
Ford f-150
For the record, Natural Bridge isn't a state park. It is slated to become one in 2016. They don't even have a campground listed on their page.

But if so, you are one of the very few I have ever heard complain about a VA State Park campground. I have stayed at a few and they have all been very nice. Most where I have been have no cell signal & no tv reception. Jst the way I like it. I have never seen one "cluttered". As far as cleaning out the firepit, my experience is some campgrounds do it, some don't, whether it be State Park, National Forest or private. Unless it has someones trash piled up in it, doesn't really bother me.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #14

Back to thread. I have seen bike racks mounted on a rack on the trailer tongue above the propane tanks. Mostly on Canadian TTs but they seem pretty secure and you can see the bikes behind. I do not know the brand and haven't found thenm on the web.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
Back to thread. I have seen bike racks mounted on a rack on the trailer tongue above the propane tanks. Mostly on Canadian TTs but they seem pretty secure and you can see the bikes behind. I do not know the brand and haven't found thenm on the web.
Since this is Posted in Roo/Shamrock tonque mount above the tanks is a Real Pain since you have to remove the Bikes for Bed use. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #16

It seems more and more people are welding hitches on the rear, Seen a Rockwood that had one put on from Canada it was Guys camper I don't know how to spell his name in French. He was in Goshen. Said he never had a problem in 4 years. AS far as Youroo go's he carries a bike built for 2, but his sprocket was disconnected.... (talk about a free ride)

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Since this is Posted in Roo/Shamrock tonque mount above the tanks is a Real Pain since you have to remove the Bikes for Bed use. Youroo!!
I had a tongue mounted rack on my last Hybrid. Not really a pain. Typically you're taking the bikes off to ride them anyway. I could see where it may be an issue on a quick overnight stay. I now have the same rack on my 23LB. A guy here at work welded it up for me.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #18

I use this two bike rack:

AROUND THE SPARE - Swagman

The upper part that carries the bikes is removable for when you don't take the bikes. I loop a heavy duty cable thru the bikes and around the bumper and padlock it .... for obvious reasons. Works well for us.

Got it at Camping World. $50 or $60 on sale.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
I use this two bike rack:

AROUND THE SPARE - Swagman

The upper part that carries the bikes is removable for when you don't take the bikes. I loop a heavy duty cable thru the bikes and around the bumper and padlock it .... for obvious reasons. Works well for us.

Got it at Camping World. $50 or $60 on sale.
I would NEVER put this on an ultra light trailer!
This is a disaster waiting to happen.
TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #20

We just put our 4 bikes in the trailer. Have several throw rugs we use while camping, use those for padding, and just bungee cord them so they don't move. We have a system now so they are in and out quick!
dawnco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike