Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 09:58 PM   #1

Black tank smell

Need recommendations for a better solution. Our black tank is stinking up the camper. We use the packets but its not working. What do you use?
tuckerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:03 AM   #2
Site Team

Odorlos, never any smell.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:21 AM   #3

Are you able to flush the tank? I always flushed the tank 3 times at the end of the trip.
I have used Aqua Kem it seems to work wonders, do you have a Tornado flush on your tank? What type of camper do you have?
Old 02-27-2016, 07:36 AM   #4

We have a roo. I put the blue packet at the start of a trip and also after draining the tank. Thats the extent of my rv knowledge...
Old 02-27-2016, 07:46 AM   #5

I don't use any chemicals and have never had a problem with black tank odor. If the toilet seals properly (holds water) and the vent is not plugged the gas should not be in the camper. Make sure your ceiling vent is off when you flush or leave it on for a few minutes after you flush. Check the system for cracks and leaks.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:49 AM   #6

Ok, if you are at a campground, when you are packing up and ready to head home,
empty the tanks, listen for when they are finished running, close the black tank valve and go inside and open the toilet and hold your foot down on the flush pedal and watch for the tank fill, I fill mine to the top and when it gets full go out and open the valve and wait until it is done, then go inside and do it all over again.

Last trip of the season I do this 3 times, if you have a black tank flush inlet on your camper search on youtube to see how to use it.

I also recommend getting some aqua Kem bottles, they work wonders and it seems to be instantaneous. LOL which is nice, I wouldn't have survived the Black tank ordeal for 6 years without it. after you flush and at various times, ad some in, even while you are camping, I leave a little in the bowl and it takes the odors out very quickly.

You also can use a flush wand this would work great but I never had one, the tanks flushes seemed to work well with my Kodiak, I have a flusher port on my new camper so i will be using that.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:50 AM   #7

Lots of info on forum....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=black...D_IcLtesHxufgD

also the geo-method is good to read....

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #8

Thank you. I will try that!
Old 02-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #9

If you are hooked up to a sewer and have your grey tank valve open sometimes the sewer smell will enter that way. Also, if there is a roof vent blockage that may also cause your issue.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If you are hooked up to a sewer and have your grey tank valve open sometimes the sewer smell will enter that way. Also, if there is a roof vent blockage that may also cause your issue.

Yes, I've see new comers do this. When hooked up to full service, they leave the gray and black valves open. This opens up a clear path for the black tank odors to travel up to your shower and sink drains.
4WD SRW Diesel
Old 02-27-2016, 08:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Yes, I've see new comers do this. When hooked up to full service, they leave the gray and black valves open. This opens up a clear path for the black tank odors to travel up to your shower and sink drains.
Wile it is very bad to leave the black tank valve open, there is nothing wrong with leaving the gray tank valve open. You should not get odors in your RV. If you do, there is a problem with your plumbing. All of the fixtures have traps of some form or another and it is impossible for the sewer odors to get past them and into your RV. The most common problem is the cheap air admittance valves used by RV manufacturers. They should all be replaced with code approved house type air admittance valves made by companies like Studor, Oatie and others. Do not use the cheap black valves that came with your RV. Replace them before they become a problem you can't work out.

Bruce
Old 02-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Wile it is very bad to leave the black tank valve open, there is nothing wrong with leaving the gray tank valve open. You should not get odors in your RV. If you do, there is a problem with your plumbing. All of the fixtures have traps of some form or another and it is impossible for the sewer odors to get past them and into your RV. The most common problem is the cheap air admittance valves used by RV manufacturers. They should all be replaced with code approved house type air admittance valves made by companies like Studor, Oatie and others. Do not use the cheap black valves that came with your RV. Replace them before they become a problem you can't work out.

Bruce
Bruce is correct. If you have water in your traps it will block any odors on the other side of the trap. Masking the smell with chemicals is not fixing the problem, it's hiding it. Check the plumbing.
4WD SRW Diesel
Old 02-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #13

We had the same problem just after getting our TT several years ago. I installed the Cyclone vent on the black tank vent and never had a problem since. Then, had some smell coming from the kitchen sink drain and after using the tablets, decided to put another Cyclone vent on the grey tank vent. Never had had a problem since. I also put a cover on my trailer each winter and put a small plastic trash can over it not to puncture anything. Has worked well over the years.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #14

I doubt this is your issue... but don't run your bathroom (fantastic) fan when you flush! It'll suck the smell out of your tank real quick! 😵
My first guess would be a blockage in the vent.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-27-2016, 09:40 AM   #15

Google GEO method thats what I have been using for the last seven years and no bt odors. With the black tank water is your best friend. Had an odor problem in the kitchen sink area on our at that time one year old rv. Turned out to be the air admittance valve. Bought two good valves at home depot and replaced the kitchen valve along with the lavatory valve, no more odor.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Bruce is correct. If you have water in your traps it will block any odors on the other side of the trap. Masking the smell with chemicals is not fixing the problem, it's hiding it. Check the plumbing.
This should be correct when water in the the trap is dormant. However; with water passing thru the trap (faucet open) there is a gap that will allow odors to escape toward any negative pressure source (fan, window open, etc.) and it doesn't take much for that odor to permeate throughout an rv and stick around for sometime. I typically leave the grey valve open while connected to a sewer (I don't boondock) but there are occasions (mostly not) when this issue does arise and closing the grey tank valve cures it. Seems more likely to occur when rv park is at capacity. My coach has no plumbing issues.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
with water passing thru the trap (faucet open) there is a gap that will allow odors to escape toward any negative pressure source.
This is absolutely untrue.

Bruce
Old 02-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

The air admittance valve is a new one on me; never heard of it. Apparently it is an alternative to a roof vent?
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #19
Gold Miner At Heart

You are leaving the tank closed while camping and then flush when its close to full or after two to three days of camping. I ask this because I don't know how many campers I've talked to that think your suppose to leave the black tank valve open when camping. We always use two of the chemical packets after we flush the tank. and don't forget to add at least a gallon of water with the packet. Then when were finished camping we flush the tank from full to empty several times. Then add about three gallons of water and two packets and leave that in the clean tank until next trip. Unless your winterizing. Then we empty until the spring.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
The air admittance valve is a new one on me; never heard of it. Apparently it is an alternative to a roof vent?
It really is an alternative to a roof vent, although you will still have a roof vent for your tank. The air admittance valve acts as the separate vent for the fixture it is venting. In a house, this vent would connect to another vent that goes through the roof or it would go out the roof on its own. The air admittance valve is designed to allow air into the drain after the trap so the trap is not sucked dry by the flow of another fixture or the draining of the tank. Most RVs have them only on the bathroom sink drains and kitchen sink drains. The shower or tub is "wet vented" by the sink's air admittance valve.

Bruce

Tags
black, black tank, tank