Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #1

Blown fuses on Roo 23ss

So our first weekend was a success! But!!!! Our 2013 roo 23SS kept blowing fuses for the slide out. Once when we got there and opened it up then again when we closed it. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, the outlet behind to the left of the stove doesn't work.... I'm thinking the wires could be what's blowing the fuses..

Thanks! Happy Memorial Day
garsplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Site Team

we've never had a problem with our 23SS's slideout but the outlet may be related. but it's hard to believe that since the slide motor is 12vDC and the outlet is 110vAC. the outlet would throw a breaker, not cause a 12v fuse to blow.
was it working fine before you left for this trip? was the outlet working also?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #3

Was it plugged in to shore power when this occurred or running solely on battery. I understand you say the plug by the stove was not working either so that indicates it was plugged in. Do you still have the problem when running solely on battery?

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #4

I do not have a Roo but a Shamrock 25RS and we blew 2 fuses on one of our slides when we were letting it out both times (at campground and at home).
Old 05-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #5

We were plugged in, haven't tried it solely on battery power yet. This was our first trip with the trailer. Picked it up from the dealer Thursday and Friday headed out on the adventure. Tried to plug my 5 cup coffee pot into the outlet and realized it didn't work. Then made the connection that it might be related to the fuse. When we replace the fuse the slide works and goes either all the way out then blows the fuse or all the way in then blows the fuse. Really confusing and frustrating being a new trailer
Old 05-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Site Team

so, you didn't do any Camp Driveway before you left?
it's always advised to do this, to make sure all the systems work before taking off for a campground.
should be a simple fix though. good thing you can manually crank it in. i had to do that one time. it's a heavy slideout.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #7

We did the check out at the dealer, everything worked fine hooked up to power, we just tried just the battery and another blown fuse when the slide got to close to all the way closed. About 1/2 inch from all the way. So the closest to drive way camping was the dealer garage
Old 05-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #8

Have no idea about the slide out fuse, but the outlet problem could be GFI related. Check the bathroom outlet to be sure it has not tripped on a ground fault.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #9

Good idea gbpacker, ill check that this week. Just got back from putting it in the storage lot. Looks like research and calls to the dealer will be on my weekly to do
Old 05-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #10

When a DC motor runs, it creates "back electromotive force" or "back EMF." This back EMF limits the currrent flow through the motor. If the motor stalls, the back EMF goes away and the stall current will increase above the running current. If the system isn't designed for this, the stall current can blow the fuse. I've never dealt with slideouts, so I don't know if they are set up with a limit switch that kills the power at end-of-travel or if they're designed to stall out at end of travel. If it's the former, the limit switches may not be making up and the motor is stalling at end-of-travel and pulling enough current to blow the fuse.
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #11

Your problem is a known one and there are other threads on here discussing it. It's a defect. I own a brand new 23 SS too. Yup blew the fuse first time I operated the slide out. Others report blowing the fuse during their PDI at the lot. Once the slide creates a load on the motor it can blow the fuse. No way to avoid it because you need to run the slide out to the end and then suck it in tight right. Go to a speciality auto parts store and find an auto resetting fuse. It will break and then reset itself - save on buying fuses and crawling underneath the trailer. The only issue is that these fuses are a little fat and don't fit into the rubber holder so you'll have to wrap it some how to make it water proof. Should fix your issue. Don't think it's related to your AC outlet.
CDNWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #12

Had same problem with our Roo 25RS plugged in at home, I changed my extension cord to a 12 gauge and "knock on wood" hasn't happened again.
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #13

We have a 2012 23ss and had a lot of "newbie"
issues last year with our trailer when connected to shore power. Turned out we were given the wrong or defective power cord --- got it replaced under warranty and now things work great! Maybe this helps others here? Just thought I would mention it.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #14

We had it happen the first weekend we used are Roo. I went ahead and replaced the fuse and it has never blown again. The dealer looked at it and couldn't get it to blow.. The service manger said it seems like it happens on every FR trailer.
keven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #15

I've blown the 30A fuse on both the power tongue jack and the slide out.....not sure why. I carry a couple of 30A fuses (Green) in case it happens again. It hasn't happened latley.

Probably best to buy a resettable fuse as mentioned and you won't have to worry about crawling under the trailer to replace a fuse.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #16

Well so far it's only been the 15 amp under the fridge that's blown, I haven't checked or thought about checking the one underneath ....
Old 06-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #17

Well, so far so good.... I checked the 30amp under the front... Blown, replaced that and we have been smooth sailing this weekend. Fingers crossed that it continues. Thanks for all the ideas and help everyone
Old 06-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #18

Well just got back from the dealer. I took in the Roo just to make sure I was correct with the fuse issue. Turns out, the slide out was out on the same circuit as the; power awning, porch light, water pump and two other things (I forgot what they were). So slide out and 5 other things tied to the same circuit = blown fuses ..... Things are peachy now! Smooth sailing