Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #1

Blue Ox Weight Distributing Hitch ?

Howdy

Does anyone have any experience with a Blue OX brand WD hitch ? My dealer says they are what most of their customers are going with nowadays. Simpler to set up and you don't have to remove the bars for backing up.

Jim S.
cheeseheadjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseheadjim View Post
Howdy

Does anyone have any experience with a Blue OX brand WD hitch ? My dealer says they are what most of their customers are going with nowadays. Simpler to set up and you don't have to remove the bars for backing up.

Jim S.

Love it Jim. Easy setup and take down. Quiet and you don't have to remove sway bars to back up. Very beefy and keeps my TV and TT perfectly level. See my TV and TT in signature.

John

2016 Wildwood 27RKSS
2012 Grand Cherokee Overland (Hemi)
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:41 PM   #3

Good hitch, easy to work with. Just make sure you raise that Jack up to remove tongue weight before you hitch or un hitch.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

Been using one for 6 years now, it works very well.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:05 PM   #5

I do have the same hitch, and do have a question. The rotating latches are the same....There's no left or right !!!!
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
I do have the same hitch, and do have a question. The rotating latches are the same....There's no left or right !!!!
Yes latches are the same. Wish they were left and right.

Hensley Arrow
Old 04-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #7

X2 on the latches. Very light, easy to handle, and no greasy mess.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Yes latches are the same. Wish they were left and right.
Thanks UHDUH.............I'm happy to read that !

Dre
Old 04-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #9

Been using the Blue OX Sway Pro for 2 years on 2 different trailers and give it a 10 out of 10! When we bought our new longer/heavier trailer all we had to do was go to "heavier bars" and the dealer gave me wholesale price on my traded in lighter bars. You WILL NOT be unhappy if you go with this hitch. Here's a couple of tips:

1) Don't buy bars that are much heavier duty than your tongue weight as it will give you a rougher ride. Get bars that are perhaps 200 lbs or so heavier duty than your tongue weight. For example----if your tongue weight is 800-900 lbs, go with the 1000 lb bars, not the 1500lb ones.
2) Use your tongue jack to raise the truck/trailer (after hitched/locked together) approximately 4"-6" (maybe a little more depending on how your set up) to allow you to tighten/untighten the chains. Much less tension when you do this.
3) Get yourself a heavy duty 18"-24" breaker bar with the correct size socket to use in lieu of the crappy short, flat tool provided by Blue Ox to tighten the chains.
4) When adjusted properly, your tow vehicle should sit level and your trailer should be level to slightly lower in the front. Bars when tightened properly should be pretty much parallel with your trailer frame. They will be bowed, but parallel to frame.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #10

I have a Blue Ox Sway Pro and my trailer is rock solid towing and backing up is a breeze. You do have to be careful when releasing the tongue hitch and it is probably wise to raise the tongue up prior to releasing. The breaker bar with a socket would be better than the tool the company gives you to work the latches. I'm in agreement to get the correct bars to match you tongue weight. Lastly, you can over tighten the bars if you raise the tongue high enough. This could cause the trailer wanting to push your tow vehicle straight into a turn. Could be a problem when the roads are wet. All and all a great hitch set up.
Steveinthehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveinthehills View Post
I have a Blue Ox Sway Pro and my trailer is rock solid towing and backing up is a breeze. You do have to be careful when releasing the tongue hitch and it is probably wise to raise the tongue up prior to releasing. The breaker bar with a socket would be better than the tool the company gives you to work the latches. I'm in agreement to get the correct bars to match you tongue weight. Lastly, you can over tighten the bars if you raise the tongue high enough. This could cause the trailer wanting to push your tow vehicle straight into a turn. Could be a problem when the roads are wet. All and all a great hitch set up.
Why is a breaker bar with a socket better !!!!
Old 04-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #12

Blue Ox Weight Distributing Hitch ?

Our trailer has a dry tongue weight of 1100 lbs so I ordered the sway pro 1500 set I couldn't get my f 250 no where near level. I ordered 2000 lb bars which are to be here Monday which I hope will level the truck.
I use an 18" breaker bar to set the chains. It gives me enough swing, I don't have to remove the propane cover and the bar gets my hands away from the trailer fame when disconnecting.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
Why is a breaker bar with a socket better !!!!
Simply it's more comfortable to the hand and you have more leverage. Oh yes more knuckle clearance.

Hensley Arrow
Old 01-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Been using the Blue OX Sway Pro for 2 years on 2 different trailers and give it a 10 out of 10! When we bought our new longer/heavier trailer all we had to do was go to "heavier bars" and the dealer gave me wholesale price on my traded in lighter bars. You WILL NOT be unhappy if you go with this hitch. Here's a couple of tips:

1) Don't buy bars that are much heavier duty than your tongue weight as it will give you a rougher ride. Get bars that are perhaps 200 lbs or so heavier duty than your tongue weight. For example----if your tongue weight is 800-900 lbs, go with the 1000 lb bars, not the 1500lb ones.
2) Use your tongue jack to raise the truck/trailer (after hitched/locked together) approximately 4"-6" (maybe a little more depending on how your set up) to allow you to tighten/untighten the chains. Much less tension when you do this.
3) Get yourself a heavy duty 18"-24" breaker bar with the correct size socket to use in lieu of the crappy short, flat tool provided by Blue Ox to tighten the chains.
4) When adjusted properly, your tow vehicle should sit level and your trailer should be level to slightly lower in the front. Bars when tightened properly should be pretty much parallel with your trailer frame. They will be bowed, but parallel to frame.
RSchleder - what Blue Ox hitch do you have for your 2016 Wildcatt Maxx 28RKX? I have the same model but a 2017 and am looking for the proper hitch that will fit. Thanks for the help
BMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #15

X3 on the Blue Ox

Once balanced (set-up properly) it is a great hitch. Post 9 is spot on as are the others.

BTW the tongue weight is 1245 Lbs. Trailer loaded with 1500 lb. bars
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #16

I've been using a Blue Ox now for a few years. Couldn't be happier with it. Worth every penny.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Forest River Forums mobile app
1996alnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #17

I have the Blue Ox Sway Pro and was wondering if I get a breaker bar, what size socket will I need?
Thanks
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:03 PM   #18

I am not sure if they are different sizes but mine is 1" to replace the tool with a socket.

Glad I saw this. I am picking up my new trailer thursday and bought the 1500 with the weights matching up with what others have. It was pricy but the options seemed to make it worth it.

When they shipped mine the grease zerk was damaged. I have swapped these out myself on cars amd assume they are the same here but the shipper said they may have to ship a whole new setup. Anyone have issues with swapping them that would require a new unit?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forest River Forums mobile app
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:16 PM   #19

Take care when unloading the springs. Once the chain passes over the midpoint the handle can swing around quite forcefully. If your arm is in the way you could end up with a smashed wrist.

That warning applies to other types of weight distributing hitches, as well. I'm describing the circumstances where it can happen with a SwayPro.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:04 PM   #20

Thank. I read earlier that it was better to lift the trailer a bit still attached to the ball to ease the strain.

I also have the breaker bar and socket already. If you used a ratchet would it be better or worse than the breaker bar? I have not seen this in action so not sure if you need to ease it down or if it flys by with ratchet attached and passive if it would snap somewhere else damaging more than your hand.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forest River Forums mobile app
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, hitch, weight