Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 10:08 PM   #1

Boon docking and a generator

Hey guys, been awhile since ive been on here. Sure have missed all the great info. I do have a question...first time boon docking for a few days. Need to know some tips on a generator. Dont need anything to run ac. Just appliances and keeping battery charged. Gotta make sure the carbon monxide detector is going at all times. Gonna use coolers, so no need for fridge. But got to have a hot shower.
jscraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:14 PM   #2

any generator that can put out 2K watts would fill the bill, No reason not to use frig just because you are boon docking, it uses very little power or propane. Make a list of your power requirements and that will give you an idea of how big a generator to use. I use two Yamaha 2ks in parallel for the heavy stuff and just one for charging battery.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:01 PM   #3

X2 on using the frig as they use VERY little propane [weeks on a 20lb tank] and the water heater can go gas also. 2K will easily run a microwave, water heater, TVs, curling iron, but not all at once. You would need a 3k for an AC.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:55 PM   #4
Site Team

And you can use propane for hot water.
Based on your list, none need a generator.
But you'll probably need one to recharge the battery.
If you'll be in a campground, get an inverter generator.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If you'll be in a campground, get an inverter generator.
X2.

Heck, even if you are alone, you would appreciate the lower volume of the inverters.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:34 AM   #6
Boondocking Only

Generators are life savers when boondocking! Get a good 2000 watt. That will be plenty for what you need it for. The lower the decibel rating the better. We run ours a few hrs a day to charge the batteries or if it's snowing or raining we'll run it while watching a movie. Sometimes we'll run it at night for a while to heat up the heated mattresses that really takes the chill off. Menards has 2 very good brands. Happy boondocking!
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #7

I have no reservations about running the generator all day and all night if we want air conditioning. I'll even light it up for 5 minutes to make coffee. But I found out that my 2000i won't reliably power the air conditioner in my new Wolf Pup. I'm waiting for the EasyStart to arrive, which I'm told is a fix to make the 2000i and the 13,500 BTU a/c work together. In the meantime I parallel the 2000i with my 1000i to get the amps I need.

If I didn't already have the Hondas, I'd consider this one.
Westinghouse 2,400-Watt Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator with Parallel Capabilities-WH2400i - The Home Depot
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbck View Post
We run ours a few hrs a day to charge the batteries or if it's snowing or raining we'll run it while watching a movie.
You'll don't need a generator to watch a movie.
I installed a 400w $20 inverter to run the tv and dvd off my dual batteries.
Took about an hour and I'm not the handiest guy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #9

Gen and boondocking.

I've posted before about our Elk Camp. I put in over a month in camp, with rarely having to pull out to empty tanks, since we use the toilet sparingly, and can drain grey into the forest (we checked).
So: We have 3 solar panels (harbor freight) and a controller.That keeps the batteries charged from over night use of lights or heater fan. If it is a day off, and I rise early anyway, I will start the gen set, to heat the water heater. About 15 minutes is all it takes, maybe less, plus providing heavy charging for running the water pump while two people shower. I shut the gen off after the first shower, since the water is plenty hot, and the batteries are up to snuff. If it is mid day, then I don't bother to run the gen, since the batteries are getting a full charge and have adequate time left int he day to run back up after running the pump. This uses more propane since that is how I heat the water when the generator is off (it's a trade off).
Evening showers are with the gen on, since it depletes a few amps to run the pump, and I want the batteries absolutely snapping when it gets dark. (it can be 80 all day, and drop to less than 40 at night).
Using those small Hondas is far better than the larger gen set I used to carry (I also charged another camper at the same time I was charging mine, so needed a 3500). More efficient, lighter, less noise, less fuel. Add the solar panels, and you almost never have to run the gen set.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #10

Opening this can of worms again? Nobody can tell what you want or need but you . Take time to calculate how much wattage you will need, how quite you want to be . Then check out prices and buy one.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #11

I would just suggest that once you start boon docking, and like it like we do, you'll want the 2 Honda 2000's paired together. We take one with us in the spring/fall when no AC is required and put the other one in when we know we'll want AC.
We went with GoPower solar and just have one 160W panel but I want to add another one. My Cardinal has the residential fridge that draws a lot.
Your plan to use ice chests is good for the first time out. Once you decide if you like being away from the campgrounds plus the associated expenses you'll probably want to use your fridge for longer stays. We've been out for a month at the longest. Just think of your purchases as building blocks that you can add on to.
Good luck!
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #12

I've found that a DSI water heater, when on propane still uses battery power, 0.85A, 12VDC while heating and 0.2A "just sitting there. It's not much but when we're bookdocking, really state parks without hookups, I turn off the water heater when not in use to save the power.

- We always use the fridge (our draws ~1A while running)
- Battery lanterns inside.
- We've never turned on the TV while camping.
- We have 2 Champion 2k invertor genny's with the parallel kit to run anything I want if needed.
- Turn off the radio display (ours uses ~0.65A)

To know what draws what from the battery, get a DVM (digital volt meter) and put in series with the positive battery cable. Don't go over 10A (?) or you'll be replacing the DMV fuse ... if you have one. Then go through and turn on a single device and take a reading of power draw. It's not an exact value but it gets you into the ballpark of what you can and shouldn't run.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:56 PM   #13

I bought a Power Horse generator from Northern Tool. It has about the same specs as the Honda, same output wattage, about the same noise level and it also comes with the parallel cable. It has total copper windings and also has a 30 amp twist lock rv receptacle and a duplex outlet. It usually starts with just one or two pulls. It sells for $560.00 or so when on sale.
RCCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:59 PM   #14

Honda Schmonda, save your money and get an equally capable and reliable Boliy generator.

I like Boliy over Champion because it weighs much less 77lbs and is easier on my back. Mine is over 5 years old and has over 1000 hours of use on it and only issue I've had is the throttle servo motor is a little slow to react to loads and it is an easy and cheap fix.

A champion is a great generator too!

I don't like using two generators in parallel. Two generators means two oil changes and oil changes for most generators are a PITA.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #15
Aging Junior Member

Have you considered going solar?
Jeff95814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:47 AM   #16

Solar isn't economical for 99% of Rv'ers. Solar won't run the a/c and solar requires an audit of your daily power needs which most people don't bother doing when they outsource the install of a solar system.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Honda Schmonda, save your money and get an equally capable and reliable Boliy generator.

I like Boliy over Champion because it weighs much less 77lbs and is easier on my back. Mine is over 5 years old and has over 1000 hours of use on it and only issue I've had is the throttle servo motor is a little slow to react to loads and it is an easy and cheap fix.

A champion is a great generator too!

I don't like using two generators in parallel. Two generators means two oil changes and oil changes for most generators are a PITA.
X2 on using two gens.

Hauling gas is a pain. You already have propane. Easier to transport and use. Plus your gen will last longer.

I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:43 AM   #18

I have a WEN 3100 (3100 watt)inverter style gen from Home Depot (Walmart.com has them too). I got mine for $568.00 delivered
Zak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You'll don't need a generator to watch a movie.
Our son gave us a cigarette lighter inverter....yup runs the tv...
antenna booster and entertainment center runs on 12 volt anyway.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator