Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #1

Bought My Used Roo. Suggestions?

Hello, everyone.

My wife and I bought our 1999 Roo 19 at the end of last season. I spent some time rehabbing the floor thanks to a couple of water leaks. This year, we'll need to address the hatch leaks (screen doors on a submarine is apt here) but we only paid $1400 for the unit and all the towing gear, so NBD.

Beyond shoring up the hatches (should I replace them entirely?) is there anything else I should keep an eye open for? Exploding water heaters? Gypsy curses? Andy Dick?

Also, are there any cool upgrades that anyone can suggest?

Thanks, folks!!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You can search through the Hybrid forum and especially the Roo subforum for mods. It depends on what kind of camping you do - if you intend to dry camp (without electrical) than consider bigger batteries and a battery disconnect. Popup Gizmos are very popular to cover the bunk ends and do a good job of staying cooler in the summer and warmer in colder temps.

Do your bunk latches screw down? If so, others with older campers replace them with the newer version.

Look over the bunk seals carefully and consider replacing. They're pretty old and probably worn.

Good luck with you rehab and let us know how it goes.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

1999 was the first year of the Roo.
R-Vision made the very first hybrid the previous year.
So, yours was built when hybrids were going through growing pains and numeous issues popped up.
You might want to contact FR's parts dept. for a retrofit bunk end kit.
This will include new seals.
the question will be if it will one as old as yours is.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

-I am going to upgrade from 1 to 2 batteries.
-I've also replaced all the old bulbs with LED bulbs, so a weekend's worth of power shouldn't be an issue, provided I keep the water pump under control.
-The bunks are battling water issues. Rockwood's retrofit kit fits 2005+, so I am out of luck there. The seals look original. I am taking the unit to the local RV shop (General RV) where they said that they could seal the bunks and repair some of the water damage for under $500, plus offer a guarantee.
-I'll get the updated latches since I still have the old screw-type.
-The mounts for an add-a-room were already present, so I ordered once from eBay for $200. Should be here next week.

One big question is in regards to the holding tanks and their dumpout pipes. They seem low. I am afraid that in some of the state parks I visit which have ungroomed roads that they'll be ripped right off so I was thinking about getting some flexible pipe in order to tie them up higher during travel across rough terrain. Does anyone have any experience with that?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinedrifter
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

-I am going to upgrade from 1 to 2 batteries.
-I've also replaced all the old bulbs with LED bulbs, so a weekend's worth of power shouldn't be an issue, provided I keep the water pump under control.
-The bunks are battling water issues. Rockwood's retrofit kit fits 2005+, so I am out of luck there. The seals look original. I am taking the unit to the local RV shop (General RV) where they said that they could seal the bunks and repair some of the water damage for under $500, plus offer a guarantee.
-I'll get the updated latches since I still have the old screw-type.
-The mounts for an add-a-room were already present, so I ordered once from eBay for $200. Should be here next week.

One big question is in regards to the holding tanks and their dumpout pipes. They seem low. I am afraid that in some of the state parks I visit which have ungroomed roads that they'll be ripped right off so I was thinking about getting some flexible pipe in order to tie them up higher during travel across rough terrain. Does anyone have any experience with that?
Sounds like you are well on your way.

Are you planning on dry camping? What batteries are you considering?

I'm not sure about the pipes. Maybe others have done what you have described. Other people flip their axles. Although I have not heard of any Roo owners doing this, I have read reports from Jayco hybrid owners flipping their axles to raise the whole trailer.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 04-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Sounds like you are well on your way.

Are you planning on dry camping? What batteries are you considering?

I'm not sure about the pipes. Maybe others have done what you have described. Other people flip their axles. Although I have not heard of any Roo owners doing this, I have read reports from Jayco hybrid owners flipping their axles to raise the whole trailer.
I do plan on doing some dry camping for about a week in June, and I like the notion of having lights in the trailer while parked at home without having to plug the unit into the house. As far as batteries, I am not certain of the brand. All I know is that I want 2 deep cycle units (I like the option of redundancy and increased capacity).

I hadn't heard of flipping the axles before. The idea is....interesting, but for some reason it makes me very nervous. I think I might just install some flexible pipe for some forgiveness and maybe install a skid-plate.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Flipping axles change the way it tows so there is a drawback, too. I personally wouldn't do it unless I really needed to.

Dry camping and extending your stay is a very personal issue. If you really want to dry camp, then there are only three ways to extend your trip:

1. Reduce your power consumption. There are lists that help you to estimate how many amps you use per day.

2. Replace your power via a generator or solar.

3. Increase your battery capacity.

People usually do a combination of two or three of these items.

Two batteries work great - either 6-volt or 12-volt. The brand doesn't matter as much as the amp-hours (AH) available. If you want redundancy, then two 12 volt batteries wired in parallel. These commonly come in three sizes - group 24, 27 and 31. There are larger 12-volts batteries but (I am guessing for your trailer) the biggest you could use would be two group 31 12-volt batteries. This would give you about 200-260Ah. Stay away from automotive batteries that stress CCA. You want to focus on the Ah, which is usually listed as the 20-hr capacity.

Make sure to measure the battery tray to make sure they fit and to get the right size battery box.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 04-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #8

You got it for a good price. What type of outside material do you have? I presume it is aluminun siding. With this type of material it is quite easy to do some repairs compared to the bonded walls.Do you have a picture to share with us?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
You got it for a good price. What type of outside material do you have? I presume it is aluminun siding. With this type of material it is quite easy to do some repairs compared to the bonded walls.Do you have a picture to share with us?

Sure. Here are some pics from the day I got it:

Here is a pic of the finished floor after tearing it all up and repairing water damage:

As far as the skin, I am not sure what it is specifically, but I am certain it isn't aluminum. When I got it, there was a silver dollar sized chunk out of the exterior thanks to a freeway mishap (easily repaired by gluing a reflector over it ). The material was more like some sort of fiberglass or petroleum based material.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #10

looks to me that it is the same walls with a fiberglass outside skin followed by a sheet of luan, some hard styrofoam and the inside wall with another sheet of luan. Same that we have on today's rockwood trailer. I still cannot believe that you paid a so cheap price. The seller really gave it to you for almost free!