Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #1

Brake control setting

We ordered it 9 weeks ago and still don't have our 233S but we're getting ready for it. I just got a brake control installed in our new RAM 1500. What would be the gain setting number used for this combination of RAM and ROO 233S? I know it would be different for most people but what's a good starting point?
2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #2

A lot depends on the style of the controllers you have. What brand. Usually you have to get the perfect feel for your truck and camper all can be different.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #3

First what brake controller did you buy and install?

If it is a Prodigy or not you will have to wait until the trailer arrives and hookedup. At that point you will do some basic setup but you will have to drive and apply the brakes to get it setup correctly.
You basically want the trailer to actually apply its brakes a little mor ethan the truck so it won't go into a slide.
Didn't you get a book or something with your brake controller?

Hope you get your rig soon as I can see you are getting a little wild waiting.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #4

The controller I got is from Dodge that fits directly in the dash. I don't know the name bran that Dodge uses. It has a manual slide to apply the brakes and a + and - button to adjust the gain. The settings show up on speedometer display.
I have to call the dealer tomorrow so they can track our trailer. Camping season starts in less than two weeks here. Might have to cancel our first trip reservations.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Albuquerque, NM

What you will need to do is to set up the controller for use with your towed camper. Instructions for doing so are in the Ram Owners Manual (I have a 2013 Ram also). I downloaded it from Ram website. There are a few steps you need to first perform. Through the Unconnect screen, choose the Trailer type - your trailer would probably be type 1 or 2, depending on the weight, and then set the trailer brake type - to light electric in your case. Once you have these set and are hooked up, you need to adjust the gain on the controller. The instructions for this start at page 542 of the owners manual. I would suggest starting at a 5 gain. Essentially, you manually engage the controller (not hit brakes) doing 20-25 and see what happens. You increase gain until the brakes lock (skid). Then you back off the gain until you get firm braking without the brakes locking. Once that's done you're ready to go. What's important is to perform the adjustment while the trailer is loaded to go, not empty.
2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Char_n_Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #6

Ok I am pulling a ROO 233S with a RAM 1500.
I have the RAM Mopar brake controller that you have.

Mine is currently set to 6.5. The instruction that I got was to start with a setting of 5.0 and do the following exercise:
1. While driving along with trailer hooked up on a level road at about 15 to 20 km/hr
2. Manually apply the trailer brakes (trailer brakes only no truck brakes) this should stop your truck in a comfortable manner.
3. If you feel the truck stops to slowly increase your gain if it stops to quickly decrease it.

I had mine at 6.0 for a while but I bumped it to 6.5.

Hope this helps.

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Eco-Diesel
Previous Trailer -> 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #7

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try that if and when we get the trailer.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #8

I don't know about your controller, but I installed a Prodigy P2 in my Ram. The book tells you to set it at 6.0 and do the brake test. If the trailer tires lock up, back the setting down till they stop without losing traction or locking up.

I have mine set at 6, but I haven't had a chance (or place to try) to set it up properly.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #9

2gocamp: Just remember - "When all else fails, read the instructions!" lol
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #10

Hi.
I had read the instructions in the RAM manual but I was just hoping to get the input of others to get a good starting point and learn from others. This is a great place to get info and help from a lot of knowledgable people. I was just told I should get the trailer on Thursday of next week, the day before we are booked to go camping. Not much time to experiment.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #11

I have a Chevy with the factory installed brake controller and mine was set at 4.5 and i was towing an 8314ss. Prior to this camper i had a Fleetwood Mallard with an after market in a GMC Suburban, i am sorry i can't remember the name of it but i do remember the setting and it was 5.0.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #12

I don't even have my brakes engaging yet,just bought the 99 Roo and have to get the proper brake controller for it and then adjust it . I noticed a scraping noise behind me on the tow home, brakes partially engaged ? any help, anyone have any ideas on this ? thanks , Jim
Jimmacgillivray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:41 AM   #13

If the 99 has original brakes and has sat unmaintained for a period of time, scraping might be normal. (Oxidation scraping away.) if it doesn't quiet down, get the brakes looked at, they could be shot.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #14

Thanks for reply,redsuspenders I jacked the wheels up and rotated them around a bit, no binding or resistance, it doesn't seem serious ,perhaps as you say ,rust oxidation, from sitting. I'll check out the stopping abilities now that I have the Brake controller installed and will post the results. I notice that your location is Cobourg Ont. I lived in Ont. various places , Sudbury working also Hamilton,Brantford and Mississauga . I am from P.E.I. looking forward to enjoying this Rockwood Roo ,having it inspected soon, What are you towing ? appreciate the help. Jim
Jimmacgillivray is offline   Reply With Quote