Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #1

Broken clips on bunk light

I have a new 2016 Roo 183 and have used it 4 times so far this year. When I bought it, it came with three of the SunLink bunk lights/fans (one for each bunk).

All three of them have at least one broken plastic clip (the part that clips on the support pole).

Has anyone else experienced this issue? The clips just seem too brittle for the application. I was thinking of ordering replacement clips, or just rigging up Velcro or zip tie straps instead.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #2

We have a 2012 and have had no clip failures to date...sorry to hear about yours but give your dealer a call and tell them you want them replaced under warranty, that should work or at least I would hope it would. You should be able to simply bring the fixture with you to your dealer and have them order/get you new ones.

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply ebemis. Unfortunately, our dealer is a couple of hours away and they have been very slow to deal with other minor issues we've had. I may try bypassing the dealer and contacting forest river directly.

The clips take quite a bit of pressure to snap onto the support poles. The clips have broken while pushing them into place. Sounds like I might have a bad batch.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcobra93 View Post
Thanks for the reply ebemis. Unfortunately, our dealer is a couple of hours away and they have been very slow to deal with other minor issues we've had. I may try bypassing the dealer and contacting forest river directly.

The clips take quite a bit of pressure to snap onto the support poles. The clips have broken while pushing them into place. Sounds like I might have a bad batch.
Mine take a lot of pressure as well to attach to the center bar over the bed..I hold my breath everytime I put them up.. but so far.. so good.. ~knocks on wood~

Old 08-17-2015, 04:27 AM   #5

Never had a problem on our old 2008 183 or the new camper. But, I mainly loop the cord around the bunk cable and let the light hang. That's the only way I can comfortably use it as a reading light while laying in bed.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #6

a pain for sure... those plastic clips are hard to engage...
I have three and never yet to fail
You can go to ACE hardware and purchase metal clips of the same design.
They come in two or three different sizes as I recall. Maybe you could screw a metal clip into the light with a short screw and fix them yourself and have a better clip in the bargain.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
a pain for sure... those plastic clips are hard to engage...
I have three and never yet to fail
You can go to ACE hardware and purchase metal clips of the same design.
They come in two or three different sizes as I recall. Maybe you could screw a metal clip into the light with a short screw and fix them yourself and have a better clip in the bargain.
I'll have to check that out. Thanks. Without looking at the metal clips, I'm wondering if they would scratch the paint off of the support pole. Definitely worth checking into though.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #8

this is a pic of what I am thinking of...
hardware store you can see the size better for what you need
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
this is a pic of what I am thinking of...
hardware store you can see the size better for what you need
Yeah, they're for hanging a broom on the wall.

Just found this on another thread here! Talk about timing!

http://www.amazon.com/Lehigh-13200-O...s_a_1_4&sr=8-4

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Yeah, they're for hanging a broom on the wall.

Just found this on another thread here! Talk about timing!

Amazon.com: Lehigh 13200 Grip Clip Organizer, Silver, Small 5-Pack: Home Improvement
Thanks all. I'm sure the metal clips are much sturdier than the brittle plastic ones that come with the fan/light. I'll have to get out and measure the diameter of the support poles. I think they might be larger than 5/8". I'm also worried about the metal scratching the white paint off of the poles,especially if the position of the light is adjusted. Ideally, I'll get replacement ones from forest river, but that will probably take a long time.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:48 PM   #11

They come in different sizes. This just happens to be the size the other person was using, for an entirely different project.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:54 PM   #12

Yeah, I figured that out as soon as I posted my last reply...thanks
Old 08-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #13

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000D...ds=broom+clips
Jonesclarinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:33 PM   #14

Broken clips on bunk light

I have all 3 sizes. Small I used for my outside shelf (other thread), medium is good for bunk lights, I have one in the bathroom of our Roo with our broom, and the large is pretty big... Too big for our $1 store broom... But a huskier broom/tool handle size.
Very handy.
I say buy all 3 sizes and you'll find uses for them.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #15

As for the plastic ones... I take the opposite approach and find it easier. I pull (carefully) the two halves of the plastic clip apart and place them around the shepherds pole instead of pushing them until they clip. I started doing it that way one night in the PUP when DD was a baby... I had forgotten to put up the fan/light before she was asleep and I didn't want the big "KA-THUNK" that it makes when you push it on to wake her (you know how it is). So I pulled them apart and placed it on quietly, and that was that. Done it that way ever since.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:50 AM   #16

Thank you Jones. Even though I have 3 broken plastic clips on 3 different lights, I am still able to rearrange them so I have good clips on the side of the fan that attaches to the poles (each light has three clips on it). I think I will try your method since it seems (based on responses) that most people aren't experiencing any problems with the clips. Maybe we were just snapping them on too forcefully.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #17
Take The Road Less Travld

I have had that issue. I've broken them from time to time. The dealer has always replaced them for to date, but my trailer is a little older now, they may not. So if you are not careful enough when taking them off or putting them on, they will break.

The metal ones look like a great alternative, but I would be worried about scratching the surface of the poles. I'd rather order a few extra of the plastic. They are cheep and have some on hand.
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post

The metal ones look like a great alternative, but I would be worried about scratching the surface of the poles. I'd rather order a few extra of the plastic. They are cheep and have some on hand.
Thanks! Have you found a place to order them without going through the dealer? I did some quick searches online and only see places to buy the entire light/fan...not the plastic clips. My dealer is not very responsive at all (been waiting 2 months for a new screen) so I'd rather bypass the dealer in this case since they should be pretty inexpensive.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesclarinet View Post
As for the plastic ones... I take the opposite approach and find it easier. I pull (carefully) the two halves of the plastic clip apart and place them around the shepherds pole instead of pushing them until they clip. I started doing it that way one night in the PUP when DD was a baby... I had forgotten to put up the fan/light before she was asleep and I didn't want the big "KA-THUNK" that it makes when you push it on to wake her (you know how it is). So I pulled them apart and placed it on quietly, and that was that. Done it that way ever since.

This is the same way I hang mine as well. After my first initial attempt at hanging them I realized you cannot just SNAP them on without possibly breaking the plastic. They are pretty firm and tight. Better to err on the side of caution than to break them. For myself, and after hanging and re-hanging a couple times, they are a breeze putting on and taking off.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, clip, light, sunlink