Old 06-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #21
cogito ergo moo

Make sure the 'bucking' you feel really aint just a loose sloppy hitch. Ford factory hitch receivers seem really sloppy. With my dear old 94 GMC, I literally had to beat the hitches into and out of the receiver. Now with my Excursion, the same hitches will rattle around. Pulling an empty box trailer would make me think that the hitch broke, it would buck around so much.

I used this...

Roadmaster Quiet Hitch for 2" Trailer Hitches Roadmaster Hitch Accessories RM-061

Not the most elegant solution, but it worked great.

Tim

Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #22

I use a Husky Centerline WDH and anti-sway system. Since my tongue weight is well within the limit for my 3/4 ton TV, I decided to be a little lazy and not hook everything up to take the TT down for some new tires (about 15 mi by freeway). I did notice what I will call the bucking sensation during my drive there and back at 65 or so mph. I do not notice anything like this with the whole set up installed. I am definitely in the WDH/anti-sway camp. Short hops are one thing but I wouldn't want a 100 mi of that ride!

Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #23

Mine did that when oversprung AND undersprung in wdh bars......I say did because I put bags on and it does not ever do it now....but before one link the wrong way instigated the springy truck butt syndrome...

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #24

Here is a picture from this weekends trip. Not much bend in the bars.

I don't know how accurate this is but, I placed a level on the frame of the TT and it was slightly nose high. I placed the level on the frame of the TV and it was slightly nose high also. It tows well but I do have a little bucking. I do have P rated tires and stock suspension with the Chevy Z71 tow package.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #25
2014 XLR 27HFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Do you have a WDH? If so, that could be your problem. You may be taking too much weight off your truck. Unload the bars or remove completely, if your truck's hitch is rated for the weight. Make sure all hitch components are tight.

I agree. With that much truck you shouldn't feel it or need weight distribution till you near the 10K mark. My previous TV was an F250 SD diesel. What a mule.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #26
2014 XLR 27HFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlong View Post
...They had me back the truck up and drop the coupler down on the ball enough to lock the coupler in place. Then crack the tongue back up to reduce the amount of force you need to apply to the bars will getting the chains hooked up. Once everything is hooked up lower the tongue all the way. Use the reverse process to unhook. Works great!
I'm pretty strong, but would never be able to lock my WD bars in if I didn't use this method. Would likely break an arm unhooking them if I didn't lift the back of the truck up first. They do make some interesting creaking noises when the weight comes back down. Over the years though, it has become a comforting sound. I know they are making a strong bond between TV and TT.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #27

Quote:
I'm new to it. This is my first WDH but, a friend of mine has a Reese. I've seen him struggle getting tension on the bars. I've heard the sounds that it makes. It would scare the crap out of me every time for a while if I had to deal with that noise.

One tip/trick the dealer showed me (a few of the TT dealer techs were at a Blue Ox seminar shortly before we got ours). They had me back the truck up and drop the coupler down on the ball enough to lock the coupler in place. Then crack the tongue back up to reduce the amount of force you need to apply to the bars will getting the chains hooked up. Once everything is hooked up lower the tongue all the way. Use the reverse process to unhook. Works great!
When we had our travel trailer, I hooked up exactly like this. But I did buy an electric tongue jack to take the work out of it. That cranking up and down got old after a while.
rburns4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #28

The cranking up and down does get old. I've only been on 3 trips so far and it is already annoying. I'm going to stick with the manual set up. One less electrical component to worry about. Power jack would be nice just in case my back goes out on a trip, but my soon-to-be 11 yr old son can help out.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:36 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
The cranking up and down does get old. I've only been on 3 trips so far and it is already annoying. I'm going to stick with the manual set up. One less electrical component to worry about. Power jack would be nice just in case my back goes out on a trip, but my soon-to-be 11 yr old son can help out.

Wait until it's 95 and 100% humidity and you're parked on a bit of an incline to the point that you are using almost the full stroke of your jack. That power jack will look mighty nice!
Old 06-19-2014, 06:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Wait until it's 95 and 100% humidity and you're parked on a bit of an incline to the point that you are using almost the full stroke of your jack. That power jack will look mighty nice!
Heat and humidity do not bother me that much. I used to work in a steel fab shop. We had no heat and no A/C.

Tags
towing