Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
I believe the OP has sold his Roo and it appears he has not been very active since early in the month. Perhaps send him a PM. Personally although I liked his design and fabrication to me I believe it would be very cost prohibitive for the gain. Super high wind gizmos have worked for us on a popup and 3 different hybrids over the last 9 years.
This has been a fascinating thread to follow, and frankly a trip down memory lane for me. A very similar thread I started over 18 years ago on the old "PopupTimes" forum was the way PopupGizmos started...I titled the thread, "If I make it will you buy it". Turned out the answer was yes and some 18 years later we're still going.

The design of his project is eloquent and impressive.

Being in the business and having the resources to produce this design makes the idea appealing. But the challenges are very clearly defined by Mr Havercamp...or another way to state it, "Economy of Scale", on every level. That does not mean it's not doable. However, it would be quite challenging.

It would have been pretty darn cool to have seen the progress of this if for no other reason than getting to witness the entrepreneurial spirit of it.

Cheers to all and kind regards,

Bob Pitney
PopupGizmos
popupgizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:16 AM   #102

I actually made a set of these for my Shamrock, I even printed the logo real big in the middle, I tried to hook them on with velcro on the camper but the velcro pulled off and I gave up, I seamed them down the middle with banner hem tape and made them from my standard sign shop banner material, I have come to the conclusion I would have to install a track on the top of the camper and put a piece of rope in and fold it over so they can slide in and stay on the camper better like my awning does.

With my design there was no sewing, I have banner hem tape so strong it destroys the banner when you try to pull it back apart, my whole problem with this is I don't want to ad those rails up on the front of my camper, I think they are ugly LOL, but if you had pugs on and these over top you could have a cool look, and be very thermo protected. My idea was to do just that, if I would put the rail on top how would I attach it? Pop rivets? I also could print the material to match the tent ends but I would have to get them figured out on the top first.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:53 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
I actually made a set of these for my Shamrock, I even printed the logo real big in the middle, I tried to hook them on with velcro on the camper but the velcro pulled off and I gave up, I seamed them down the middle with banner hem tape and made them from my standard sign shop banner material, I have come to the conclusion I would have to install a track on the top of the camper and put a piece of rope in and fold it over so they can slide in and stay on the camper better like my awning does.
Working in a sign shop myself, I know how strong banner tape is....As for velcro, have you tried double lock velcro made by 3M ?
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:00 AM   #104

The velcro didn't stick to the camper paint, it came off in the morning, I just tried the local hardware stuff not 3m, I think standard velcro would work if I get it to stick to the camper, I may put some banner tape under tge velcro and try that. Although now that you mention it I should spring for some 3m, I was in a hurry and short on time when I made these, I have more time now and kinda forgotabout them
Old 04-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #105

Quote:
The velcro didn't stick to the camper paint, it came off in the morning, I just tried the local hardware stuff not 3m, I think standard velcro would work if I get it to stick to the camper, I may put some banner tape under tge velcro and try that. Although now that you mention it I should spring for some 3m, I was in a hurry and short on time when I made these, I have more time now and kinda forgotabout them
Make sure you get the DOUBLE LOCK self adhesive
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #106

Quote:
Isn't the velcro supposed to go inside the camper at the top, not outside on the paint? In other words, the velcro on the cover would be attached to the TOP side of the cover, not the bottom side. So just looking at the front of the TT, you wouldn't see the velco that's attached up inside. This would be similar to the way the tent material is attached. I got that impression from other similar threads I've read.

Maybe someone who's done this can chime in.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:10 PM   #107

chiming in.....yes, velcro is on the inside. there is a nice edge on the top just inside the door opening that i attached the vecro to and it is still attached. don't think that edge is painted, we are opening up tomorrow to start waking her up and i can check then. i used peel and stick velcro that i picked up at joanns fabrics.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #108

My design is different, the material is heavy and needs more than velcro, the dual lock is kinda expensive and I am looking for a solution that provides for a quick on and off.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #109

Bunk ends almost complete

I know this post go yes back a bit but came across this during my search for bunk end awnings or covers. Picture posted was exactly what I was looking for. I'm curious to learn more about how this worked out, the ensign and install detail. Are you still camping?
RDAcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:01 PM   #110

All,

I have had unbelievable success with the bunk awnings. They looked and worked fantastically​. They shaded the bunk in the heat, kept the bunk drier in the morning from condensation, protected from wind and allowed the windows to be open during the heaviest of rain storms. However nice and good looking they are, they weren't able to be produced with out a price near $500 for each end. I felt this was too expensive for most and for those who would buy them, wasn't enough to cover the startup or non recurring costs. I only wanted to have them made if they were of the best quality and materials, as anyone who would have purchased them would know they are the best available.

I did what I wanted, which was to make something extremely unique, attractive and functional. However I did sell the trailer and the awnings with it. The new owner is aware they are unique and desired by some. It would be up to him to share any dimensions or templates, as all the work went with the trailer.

I can tell you the awnings were held on with keder rail to the trailer. They had a custom set of poles the made a simple frame to give the shape in the end and to tighten with the webbing. They attached to a custom bracket on each side of each bunk and there were several anchor points on the awning as well as the bunk for the webbing. I used marine grade vinyl for the bunks and weather proofed the sticking and used special sewing hems to further water proof the bunk.

I had fun with it and did what I initially set out to do. I had thoughts of making them for you all, but realized it would be feasible for me initially. I hope that at least I have inspired someone else to attempt the same for their trailer and come up with something even better! Good luck to all of you and thanks for your attention and appreciation.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:48 AM   #111

Maybe should have talked to Bob at PUGS. He might have been interested in buying your design. I'm sure he's probably set up to make something like that.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:25 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibullsAN View Post
All,

I have had unbelievable success with the bunk awnings. They looked and worked fantastically​. They shaded the bunk in the heat, kept the bunk drier in the morning from condensation, protected from wind and allowed the windows to be open during the heaviest of rain storms. However nice and good looking they are, they weren't able to be produced with out a price near $500 for each end. I felt this was too expensive for most and for those who would buy them, wasn't enough to cover the startup or non recurring costs. I only wanted to have them made if they were of the best quality and materials, as anyone who would have purchased them would know they are the best available.

I did what I wanted, which was to make something extremely unique, attractive and functional. However I did sell the trailer and the awnings with it. The new owner is aware they are unique and desired by some. It would be up to him to share any dimensions or templates, as all the work went with the trailer.

I can tell you the awnings were held on with keder rail to the trailer. They had a custom set of poles the made a simple frame to give the shape in the end and to tighten with the webbing. They attached to a custom bracket on each side of each bunk and there were several anchor points on the awning as well as the bunk for the webbing. I used marine grade vinyl for the bunks and weather proofed the sticking and used special sewing hems to further water proof the bunk.

I had fun with it and did what I initially set out to do. I had thoughts of making them for you all, but realized it would be feasible for me initially. I hope that at least I have inspired someone else to attempt the same for their trailer and come up with something even better! Good luck to all of you and thanks for your attention and appreciation.

Curious, why did you sell?
pidds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, bunk