Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #1

Bunk end door replacement

I have a 2011 rockwood Roo 19. The front bunk end door is soft on bottom up 2 feet. I'm looking for photos and direction on how to repair this. Please and thanks
Charlie5930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:55 AM   #2

Hi Charlie, I'm in the same boat. Just purchased a 2008 Rockwood Roo in the spring. A few weeks ago I took the mattress off and went up into the front bunk to clean. When I rested my knee down I heard a loud cracking sound. Upon further inspection it seems to be rotten about 2' above the hinge. I also notice on the outside it starting to bubble/delaminate. Top to middle of door still solid so I'm thinking it's getting in the bottom somewhere and wicking up. Looking to connect with someone who has dealt with this issue. Is it worth repairing or just buy a new door?
Robsroo2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
Canadian Member

I had that problem with our 2010 Roo 23SS. It’s called delamination. I was the 2nd owner (bought the previous Spring) and it was 2 years old at the time. I contacted Rockwood’s warranty people and they offered to send new door “cores” (no hardware and no edge trim) at their cost if I was willing to have the local Rockwood dealer do the replacement work. I agreed. The re&re cost me about CDN$1000. Your Roos are much further out of warranty so you likely won’t get the same offer but Rockwood may still be able to sell you replacement door cores. There are some websites out there that have pics of people restoring the doors themselves but that is way beyond my skill level.

My problem was poor design of the sealing system and poor construction practices at the factory. You need to make sure you keep the caulking around the door frames in good condition and make sure the pinch welt seals around the door edges are kept in good condition and seal properly. On mine, the screws that held the door frame in the wall weren’t put in straight and weren’t countersunk which meant the pinch-welt seals couldn’t completely seal the top of the door. Plus the exposed hinge on the bottom seemed to wick water in.

I sold it the next year to a guy who said he had an indoor storage place for it. I think the problem was mostly resolved with new pinch welt seals around the edge of the door but I couldn’t stop worrying about the possibility of it leaking again so I decided to sell it. We wanted a regular TT at that point anyways for easier setup, a bigger bathroom and not having to crawl over my DW to get out of bed.

Here are a couple other threads for information.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ent-29250.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...eak-29462.html

Other than the bed door delamination issue, we had no other issues with that Roo and really enjoyed it. We took it to the Canadian east coast for 3 weeks in 2013. As you can see from my signature, we bought another (used) Rockwood trailer as its replacement so I’m generally very happy with the Rockwood brand.

Good luck with your repairs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #4

I believe repairing is much cheaper but time consuming. If I could find clear direction on how to repair it myself I would do it.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie5930 View Post
I believe repairing is much cheaper but time consuming. If I could find clear direction on how to repair it myself I would do it.
I agree, and am looking for the solution also. Following this thread. My front bunk has the typical delam from the bottom up about half way. Driving while it is raining is bad for these hybreds, all makes and models. I have the tools and ability to repair, but hope to hear from someone that has already tackled this before I dive in.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #6

If you find a video or steps to do this can you please share.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie5930 View Post
If you find a video or steps to do this can you please share.
Here is my current project.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #8

Nice video. I did a similar repair, twice. I followed the same procedure as you except I didn't remove the door. My damage wasn't as extensive as yours but was at the lower left corner. I found the styrofoam at Micheals , I think it's an odd thickness. Since the wallpaper on mine was white I also found an artist type material covered in gesso, which matched the covering almost perfectly. I used a piece of luan on the bottom that I glued the fiberglass exterior to, then styrofoam then the piece of gesso board. Perfect thickness. I used aluminum stock that I got at home depot and pop riveted it to the existing good part of the door and pop riveted the replacement piece of gesso board to that. White duct tape to tape over seam. It looked pretty good. Also sealed anywhere I thought water could in. Bought Proflex caulk to seal exterior around the frame. We really liked our trailer but everytime it rained I worried. Best of luck to you.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #9

I replaced the entire door. FR shipped it to me in a big carton as I recall. Installation by a "RV" repair place was botched at least twice and still ain't right but it no longer leaks as it did the first time they did the installation. Added additional sealing at the edges.

Other door is a little soft at the bottom but is remaining constant.

My current issue last week in a big rain was dripping from the rear bed upper frame. Only water source seems to be the clearance lights (there are 5 in the rear) so I cleaned them out and recaulked. One light cover was full of water.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #10

I finished my rebuild and install last night. Today we have torrential rains as I type, so I'll know my success rate after it stops. Very pleased with the outcome but its 4 long days of labor and about $400 in material. I have a bunch of video to load and edit, that will take awhile.

Heres a sneak peek at the end result from last night.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180906_201420.jpeg
Views:	1522
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	185693Click image for larger version

Name:	20180906_164402.jpeg
Views:	503
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	185694Click image for larger version

Name:	20180906_182452.jpeg
Views:	1080
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	185695