Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #1

Bunk end pulling out at top

Anyone have tips on reinserting the top of the bunk end canvas back in place? We noticed the top right bunkend on our 2013 Roo 183 has come out. Not ripped just pulled out.
If it’s a simple fix, looking to do it ourselves. Click image for larger version

Name:	54541169906__64BBE6B6-B709-43C1-9612-B950D688562F.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	338.3 KB
ID:	169825
NSNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:33 PM   #2

i have done the sides and bottom, have not had an issue with the top. The sides and bottom were just held in with silicon. Ran a bead in the track, stuck the seam in and let it dry. For the side seam, I had to partially close the door to get the canvas seam in the track, then closed the door til the silicon cured. It has held. I would think the top seam is the same way.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:55 AM   #3

Bunk end pulling out at top

There must be a strip of something it gets tucked into before you apply silicon?
Old 04-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSNewbie View Post
There must be a strip of something it gets tucked into before you apply silicon?
not for the side or bottom tracks - not sure about the top track.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:07 AM   #5

Just went through this exact same thing with my Roo 19. Bought it used from the dealer and it pulled away on our first trip last fall. Ours was out more than that we brought it back to the dealer and they fixed it free of charge. I wish I knew exactly what they did, but I do know they used proflex and bonded it back in place.

2013 Rockwood Roo 19
2002 GMC Envoy XL
Husky WDH
Hayes Synchronizer BC
Belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly View Post
Just went through this exact same thing with my Roo 19. Bought it used from the dealer and it pulled away on our first trip last fall. Ours was out more than that we brought it back to the dealer and they fixed it free of charge. I wish I knew exactly what they did, but I do know they used proflex and bonded it back in place.

Would love to know what they did to fix yours. We are popping it to a place this afternoon to have a look.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #7

Figured it was it. Only took a nice day and an exterior inspection. The canvas pushed into an exterior track, however once I saw the exterior issue, I was able to reinsert from the interior back into the track. We will silicon now that we have it back in place. Saved the trip to a dealer. Phew. All it took was a handy person and a little time.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #8

good to know
Old 05-07-2018, 07:11 AM   #9

I opened my camper up this weekend to dewinterize and clean. Took a look at the corner to see what they did. It looks like they removed the material a bit further and cleaned it throughly. Then they coated it all in proflex and stuffed it all back in where it belongs. After that, they coated the area with more proflex inside and out. That stuff dries incredibly hard and it looks to me like it's not going anywhere for a long time.

2013 Rockwood Roo 19
2002 GMC Envoy XL
Husky WDH
Hayes Synchronizer BC
Old 05-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
I opened my camper up this weekend to dewinterize and clean. Took a look at the corner to see what they did. It looks like they removed the material a bit further and cleaned it throughly. Then they coated it all in proflex and stuffed it all back in where it belongs. After that, they coated the area with more proflex inside and out. That stuff dries incredibly hard and it looks to me like it's not going anywhere for a long time.
Any chance you can take a picture? I'm curious if there is something we can do to proactively keep this from becoming an issue.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:25 AM   #11

I can certainly take some pictures. Getting them up here will be a different task. I'll try to get them up asap.

2013 Rockwood Roo 19
2002 GMC Envoy XL
Husky WDH
Hayes Synchronizer BC
Old 05-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #12

So, after our first trip, it looks like the end that was repaired is pulling out again.
I have to call the dealer again and probably haul it there again. This time, I will get more details to share with you. Since it's the same side, i'm wondering if it's pulling more on that side or if it was just repaired insufficiently.

2013 Rockwood Roo 19
2002 GMC Envoy XL
Husky WDH
Hayes Synchronizer BC
Old 05-24-2018, 03:05 PM   #13

Quote:
So, after our first trip, it looks like the end that was repaired is pulling out again.

I have to call the dealer again and probably haul it there again. This time, I will get more details to share with you. Since it's the same side, i'm wondering if it's pulling more on that side or if it was just repaired insufficiently.

Our pulled away after tucking but I hadn’t had a chance to profiled or silicon it (whichever is the right one).
Old 05-25-2018, 05:14 AM   #14

If you're going to try it yourself, invest in a tube of proflex and some isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the mating surfaces. I would recommend methyl hydrate but I dont know how it would react with the surface. Varsol and even some alcohols will leave a film behind a weaken the bond between the tent/proflex and surface. Proflex doesn't recommend anything specific so I think you'll be good with alcohol. That's what i'm guessing happened to mine, poor surface prep.
I work in the aerospace industry with epoxies and sealants, and surface prep is make or break. the best sealant wont do anything to a poorly cleaned surface.

2013 Rockwood Roo 19
2002 GMC Envoy XL
Husky WDH
Hayes Synchronizer BC
Old 05-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #15

I had a similar issue, tent coming out of rail. See picture below (sorry it's sideways, I don't know how to fix that). This is the front bed, right side of tent. Being new I didn't want to attempt self repair. Took to dealer, only 10 mins away. He was going to just reinsert in railing and silicon. I said I don't think that will hold, he agreed, so he did that, PLUS from the inside you can "squeeze" the railing to clamp it in there tighter. We will see if that works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0925.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	173320  
TST Tire Monitor Tow/Trailer
Wprather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:15 AM   #16

I like the idea of somehow clamping the rail and tent material. I wonder if something like this would be helpful to mechanically hold the tent material in place.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wprather View Post
I had a similar issue, tent coming out of rail. See picture below (sorry it's sideways, I don't know how to fix that). This is the front bed, right side of tent. Being new I didn't want to attempt self repair. Took to dealer, only 10 mins away. He was going to just reinsert in railing and silicon. I said I don't think that will hold, he agreed, so he did that, PLUS from the inside you can "squeeze" the railing to clamp it in there tighter. We will see if that works.
just checking to see how the new repair is holding up?
Old 07-10-2018, 07:08 AM   #18

After the dealer did the last repair, mine is holding up now after two trips.
It seems they riveted the material that holds the fabric in place and proflex sealed it all up...i gave it a good tug and it's not moving.

2013 Rockwood Roo 19
2002 GMC Envoy XL
Husky WDH
Hayes Synchronizer BC
Old 07-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #19

I have been on two trips now, and so far the repair is holding with no problem.
TST Tire Monitor Tow/Trailer
Wprather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #20

Quote:
After the dealer did the last repair, mine is holding up now after two trips.
It seems they riveted the material that holds the fabric in place and proflex sealed it all up...i gave it a good tug and it's not moving.
Where did they rivet it? Any chance I can bother you for a picture? Since we're still under warranty, I may bring it in but I'd like to show them a picture rather than have them just slop some more silicon caulk in there.

Tags
bunk