Old 12-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #1

Bunk end support installation

I recently purchased a 2015 Flagstaff Shamrock 23SS, and I've noticed that the previous owners must have had some issues installing the support frames on the bunk ends, as the vinyl roof is all scraped up from the metal ends of the poles. Are there any secrets to installing these supports and NOT scratching up, or worse, tearing the vinyl material? Are there any mods that people have made to avoid this problem. I have to say, my 2008 Starcraft Antigua had a better system with a plastic end the snapped around the bunk end frame. I never had an issue installing it, and the vinyl top never got any damage.

Thanks again. You all have been great with all my questions. I'm sure I'll have a bunch more when I finally get to go out and camp in this TT! I'll be looking to find out what your favorite mods have been, as well as what issues/problems people have typically had with this model.

jimtrvl917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:58 AM   #2

can you post a couple of pictures of what is happening? I have a roo 233s with bunkends. I should be able to answer your question with if I can see a picture.

Kevin

Old 12-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Are you talking about the tent end shepherd pole and the U-frame support?
Need pics to understand.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #4

Sounds like you are talking about installing the shepherds poles. The metal bunk end frame pole is laying down where I can pretty much reach it. I put the end of shepherds pole into that and push. With the end of the sheps pole properly fitted to the hoop frame pole there is no sharp edges rubbing against the canvas when I push it into place.

Which makes me wonder, maybe the problem isn't with the sheps pole but maybe there are some sharp edges on the bunk end frame pole where the plastic piece attaches that rub when things are pushed into place. I would check that out too.
Towed by 2016 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
Replaced 2011 Ford F-150 screw, ecoboost, maxtow
that overheated every time it towed up hill.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:17 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. I am talking about the shepherd's pole. The end of the pole is simply the aluminum, no type of plastic ring on the end, correct? Mine are simply the cut metal tube, and it looks like it's been scraping the top of the vinyl as the previous owner just tried to "stab" the end into the u-shaped piece. I guess the answer is to crawl onto the bed each time and directly insert the end of the shepherd's pole into the plastic piece on the u-shaped piece. Unfortunately, the TT is at a storage lot, so I can't get any photos until I have an opportunity to get back there.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
Site Team

I NEVER needed to crawl on the bed. I stood on the floor, lifted up the U-support enough to push the end of the pole onto the middle plastic knob and simply used the pole to push the U-support up and towards the end of the tent roof.
While still holding the pole, I inserted the hook end into the ceiling tab to secure it in place.
It was a 5 second operation.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
Old 12-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #7

Dan, I'll have to try this a few times to figure out whether I will have an issue or not. I think the previous owners simply tried to "stab" the pole onto the support bar, and ended up raking the vinyl in the process.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #8
Canadian Member

The following video shows what you should have on the pole and the hoop bar and how to set them in place. Go to 10:08 in the video.

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
The following video shows what you should have on the pole and the hoop bar and how to set them in place. Go to 10:08 in the video.

YEP, exactly how I did it(i don't own my 23SS anymore).
Don't get the need to crawl on the bed to accomplish this. My DW is 5'5" and she was able to do this the same way.
Equalizer WDH
Old 12-05-2019, 12:40 AM   #10

IT really is not a big deal to push up the U shaped pole in the bunk which raises the tent then stab the J pole end into the plastic knob near the apex of the U-pole, push the U-shaped bunk end pole fully into the tent end and fasten the J-end onto the catch on the ceiling... NO MODS necessary... doing it in the DARK can be a problem!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #11

This is exactly how I do it also.

Kevin
Old 12-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #12

The video shows how it's done.

-- Chuck
Old 12-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #13

The video was perfect, thanks. I think the original owners were too lazy to reach in and connect the pole to the u-shaped support and simply took stabs at trying to connect them. In the process, they scraped up the inside surface of the tent material with the end of the shepherd's pole. I'll be sure to us all of your suggestions. They also had the mattress in backwards, so it was always sticking out of the bunk end when the TT was opened up. Easy fix on that one!

As always, I've only been a member of this forum for a short time, but you all have been great!
Old 12-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I NEVER needed to crawl on the bed. I stood on the floor, lifted up the U-support enough to push the end of the pole onto the middle plastic knob and simply used the pole to push the U-support up and towards the end of the tent roof.
While still holding the pole, I inserted the hook end into the ceiling tab to secure it in place.
It was a 5 second operation.
This is also how I do it. Stabbing something is a good way to push through something if you miss.
Stevejfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:34 PM   #15

As others said, the shepherd's pole is a bare-ended pipe on both ends. The socket on the hoop is what contains it and protects the canvas.

Context:
I had a high-wall (HW) PUP. One end had a king bed. I'm 6'6", so a big guy with very long arms. Yet, on the front king bed, I'd kind of struggle to carefully install the shepherd's pole to ensure it would not jump out of the socket on the hoop and puncture the tent end.
The hoop was far enough away that I often struggled to move the canvas out of the way of my view of the socket in the hoop. I had no such problem on the rear queen bed.

On the HW, there is a "stair" to climb into the bunk. I often put one foot on the stair and my other knee on the bed so I had a better view of the hoop. I used my head and free arm to displace the canvas to get a clear view. Being closer also enabled me to lift the hoop higher so I could get better engagement in the socket. In the case of a Roo, the beds are lower, so, if I were having problems "seeing" the socket in the hoop or lifting the hoop high enough, I wouldn't hesitate to get on the bed a bit to ensure a good view...especially on the rear bed - many of which are partially blocked by the bathroom or other cabinetry.

Should you discover any pinhole leaks in the canvas from the previous owner's rough handling, I can attest to the quality of Camco canvas repair tape. https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Awnin...5574168&sr=8-1
I nicked my canvas with a drill bit, put this on the pinhole, and years later it was as good as new. There may be other repair options, but this one works well...just cut rounded corners, and there won't be any weak points for the tape to peel up.
Typical season is about 30 nights camping, usually nearby boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:06 PM   #16
Canadian Member

You might want to buy a set of Popup Gizmos to cover the tent ends.

PopupGizmos

They reduce condensation on the underside of the tent roof in cool weather and block the sun in the morning. They also help reduce heat in the summer.

I also recommend using a couple table-top oscillating fans at either end of your hybrid. Air movement will keep it from getting too stuffy inside and reduce condensation.

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk