Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #1

bunk end window project update

Last year I posted about a project I was undertaking in which I wanted to add vinyl windows to the bunkends. Since that thread was almost a year old, I couldn't post an update to it. Forgive me if this is uncouth to resurrect the thread or to follow up. I thought some people may be interested in finally seeing the results.

I can finally post some results and pics. I will claim this project was a success. No leaks, no problems or issues. We are able to open the privacy windows in the cooler weather and still keep the warmth inside.

I posted roughly 20 pictures in this shared album site. Click on the tab for pictures and videos, and the first 10 pics show me taking the bunkends off, then preparing to put the finished (windowed) bunkends back on, materials and tools used, then finally some camping enjoyment pics.

https://roobunkendwindowproject.shut...%3dSHARE3SXXXX

The price was worth it to us. If I had to do it again, I would have gone tinted, and had double zippers on each window.

Let me know if you have any questions. We have another trip scheduled in a few weeks, where the weather in Michigan promises to be unexpected, probably cool, and no doubt enjoyable.
edhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #2

One word.........

AWESOME!!!

Thanks for sharing I was happy to see this follow up and have been wondering how your project turned out, looks very sweet

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Good job!

While you would see a warning about the thread being old you should had been able to post to it anyway bringing it back to life. But things worked out here and now you are still able to share the outcome with others.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #4

Reinstall?

Can you share any more insight around the removal and re-installation of the bunk ends to the camper body? Two of mine are pulling away, so I am going to have to do a repair and I have looked around the forums and you seem to be the only person I can find that has removed and reinstalled them!

Was it a relatively easy process? How do they actually install?

I looked at your pictures and see where you pulled the trim away and pulled the canvas away, but am curious about the re/install.

Thank you.

2013 Rockwood Roo 183L
2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax
olwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #5

I wanted to do this but haven't figured out a easy way yet. I bought the tinted vinyl but no progress.
Glad to see it worked for you!!!
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #6

Olwalker, it was easier taking the bunk ends off, than putting them back on. Even putting them on wasn't too bad.

There are two small screws, one in the lower left and lower right corners. IF you are going to take the bunk end fabric completely off, you will need to remove these.

The channel that the edge of the bunk end fabric is tucked into, has the open edge facing left on the left side of the camper, the right on the right side and open toward the top at the top edge. To remove the canvas, you pull it out of the channel in the directions I referenced above. It is "sealed" into the channel with a bead of silicone.

I used my finger tips, a popsicle stick and an automotive christmas tree puller tool to push the edge back into the channel after applying a fresh bead of silicone caulk.
edhawk is offline   Reply With Quote