Old 07-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #1

Bunk leaks again...and again.....

I thought I had them licked, I installed extra seals around the frame of the bunks and watched it rain. And all was well, at least I thought. Our second trip to upstate pa. Was definitely interesting, it was raining when we got there Friday night and was not fun setting up in the light drizzle with impatient family members awaiting the final setup of camp. And Saturday was sunny and clear. Sunday when we went home the heavy rain began all the way home. But we made it without incident. But today, 4 days later I thought I'd open the bunks and trailer up to let the fresh air in the front bunk was a little wet at the bottom and the back bunk was saturated about 12 inches up. Now I know they were dry before we went on the trip but I guess with the rain and driving it worked its way in to the bottom of the hinge area and soaked that area.
Here's the question, has anybody else came across the same scenario?
Does anyone have a seal that goes in the lower hinge area? I think this would solve the water being pushed in. Does anybody agree with me?
Thanks in advance, I have read many threads on the leaky bunks and appreciate everyone who puts their effort in on contributing.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
MI Camperz

By bunks, do you mean the tent camping beds as in a pop-up or hybrid?
Just generally knowing how helpful people are here, it would help if you stated when model of camper you have.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivoltage98 View Post
I thought I had them licked, I installed extra seals around the frame of the bunks and watched it rain. And all was well, at least I thought. Our second trip to upstate pa. Was definitely interesting, it was raining when we got there Friday night and was not fun setting up in the light drizzle with impatient family members awaiting the final setup of camp. And Saturday was sunny and clear. Sunday when we went home the heavy rain began all the way home. But we made it without incident. But today, 4 days later I thought I'd open the bunks and trailer up to let the fresh air in the front bunk was a little wet at the bottom and the back bunk was saturated about 12 inches up. Now I know they were dry before we went on the trip but I guess with the rain and driving it worked its way in to the bottom of the hinge area and soaked that area.
Here's the question, has anybody else came across the same scenario?
Does anyone have a seal that goes in the lower hinge area? I think this would solve the water being pushed in. Does anybody agree with me?
Thanks in advance, I have read many threads on the leaky bunks and appreciate everyone who puts their effort in on contributing.
Oops sorry it's a 2001 roo 21'
Old 07-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #4

We have an 05 233 and the front bed is starting to delaminate which is obvious signs of leakage - altho we never gotten wet during rain storms while the unit is set up. So like you, it must leak when closed. We are looking for DIY instruction for replacing the plywood/styrofoam behind the outer skin.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #5

I will post a repair tutorial, but this week I have to repair it and put it back together. I'll post it late next week.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #6

Quote:
I will post a repair tutorial, but this week I have to repair it and put it back together. I'll post it late next week.
Looking forward to seeing this tutorial!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:

Oops sorry it's a 2001 roo 21'
I agree that i think the water hits the piano hinge, fills up the channel and wicks its way up from the bottom. My front is delaminating. The back os ok. I am going to try a repair this fall. Replacing the wood should be easy. Not sure how to prevent piano hinge from water.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #8

I'm almost done rebuilding the bunk and I found a few mods I will post all the info.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #9

Quote:
I'm almost done rebuilding the bunk and I found a few mods I will post all the info.
Thanks for the update.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #10

Leaking Bunks

I have a 2013 233s roo and for the first summer of Camping we had zero leaks. A few weeks ago I noticed that one of the bunks was leaking and the mattress was getting wet after every rain storm. After about an hour of trying to figure out why or how to fix, I noticed that the handles that are attached to the bottom of the bunks (the ones that swing closed and hold the bunk in closed position) have a piece of rectangular rubber glued to the underside of the handle. I could see that as time has passed, the rubber piece had slid from where it was supposed to be and moved about an inch to the side. This piece of rubber is used to put pressure on the floor of the bunk in the closed position and when it moved, it wasn't contacting the bunk as it should. I romoved all of the rubber pieces and re-glued (in the correct location) with high strength epoxy, let dry and have had no leaking issues since. Not sure if this is what is happing to yours but is worth a look and was a cheap fix!