Old 06-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
Moderators' Assistant

check out RVW's video library.
they had a couple of Roo videos that showed setting up and putting away the canvas ends.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #12

This is an interesting read! We have been just leaving our bar like your photo, on the outside of the mattress but I never really thought it held anything in place, that seems to be those 4 fabric straps with snaps purpose. I like the idea of folding the bar into the mattress for neatness but my fear would be any pressure on either the bar or mattress from anything binding or getting stuck could do damage to either....don't know if it would but I like as much "free to move" things when folding the beds up so I make sure no fabric is getting stuck in door seals. LOVE the idea of running the vent fans with doors shut to "suck" the tent fabric in when closing!

2013 Rockwood Roo 233S
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebemis View Post
This is an interesting read! We have been just leaving our bar like your photo, on the outside of the mattress but I never really thought it held anything in place, that seems to be those 4 fabric straps with snaps purpose. I like the idea of folding the bar into the mattress for neatness but my fear would be any pressure on either the bar or mattress from anything binding or getting stuck could do damage to either....don't know if it would but I like as much "free to move" things when folding the beds up so I make sure no fabric is getting stuck in door seals. LOVE the idea of running the vent fans with doors shut to "suck" the tent fabric in when closing!
Point well taken. On our 23ss, if the cross spport bar for the rear bunk isn't folded up in the mattress and secured, the bar is up against the rear wall and rubs on the wood corner. I don't think you have that issue on a full open bunk. We've noticed the front mattress wanted to fall out more into the trailer when not secured with the straps. Just not sure how long those straps will hold up. YMMV.

You'll be surprised how the bunk ends and fabric gets pulled in the first time you try it with the fans on and door closed

Jim
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Nites Camped 2016 -25
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #14

AHH Jim THAT is a VERY interesting point! I never really have looked at the wall that our 233S Rear Bunk's Bar must be resting on when folded in...you can bet if it is touching the wood and marking it up, I will commence folding that bar INSIDE the mattress like you mentioned!

Glad to hear about the fan idea, I am headed out this weekend for a trip so Sunday AM when I'm packing up, I am excited to give it a WHIRL .....No Pun Intended! ;-)

and oh ya....those snaps really aren't that strong, I already had to squeeze one of them back together with pliers...making me think maybe having a "snap repair kit" on had would be smart!
2013 Rockwood Roo 233S
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #15

Have been folding the bar inside the mattress for four seasons and using the snaps on the top and sides. We also fold ours up with sheets and heavier fleece blanket on as well. When I had the new bunk doors installed a couple of seasons back, the crew at the factory told me to make sure the door and screen were open when folding the bunks. They said the newer ends are much more air tight and it helps get all the material in easier...works for us. I also tend to leave the side windows on the bunks unzipped a couple of inches...we leave them that way all the time to help with ventilation/condensation.

2011 Rockwood Roo 233S
2008 Chevy Express 3500 Explorer Conversion
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Buckeyecmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyecmpr View Post
Have been folding the bar inside the mattress for four seasons and using the snaps on the top and sides. We also fold ours up with sheets and heavier fleece blanket on as well. When I had the new bunk doors installed a couple of seasons back, the crew at the factory told me to make sure the door and screen were open when folding the bunks. They said the newer ends are much more air tight and it helps get all the material in easier...works for us. I also tend to leave the side windows on the bunks unzipped a couple of inches...we leave them that way all the time to help with ventilation/condensation.
I'm new to hybrids...well TT in general, but I fail to see how leaving the door and screen door open when folding up the bunks will help get all the material in??? Did the "crew" say how this actually helps?

2014 Roo 21ssL...towed by 2015 Ram Power Wagon
RACKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #17

I talked to someone at forest river. They say they tuck the bar in the mattress I'm going to do that on our next trip. Mine doesn't have the straps so when you tuck the bar on the side bunk, the mattress just flops down. Oh well.. As far as having the door open when you close bunks, we turn on the exhaust fan and close the door and windows. It causes a suction to help keep the canvas tucked in so we get a good seal when the bunks are closed.

Thanks everyone!
Michele

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Towing with 2007 Ford F150
Camping in Colorado
cropper127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKMAN View Post
I'm new to hybrids...well TT in general, but I fail to see how leaving the door and screen door open when folding up the bunks will help get all the material in??? Did the "crew" say how this actually helps?
You are significantly reducing the interior volume of the trailer when you close the bunks. If everything is closed, there is no place for the air from the bunk ends to escape since the tent ends are attached. So you have to compress the air which pressurizes the trailer. With that little extra air pressure inside it creates resistance when trying to close the bunks and its harder to push everything in when you close up. Whether you use the fans or open the door probably doesn't matter much - you just need to give that air someplace to go.

The reverse is true as well. When setting up the tent ends, it can be hard to do if everything is closed becasue you create lower air pressure inside.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Having the door open allows the air to escape from the trailer. The htt's are much more airtite then a popup, therefore when closing bunk ends, the open door allows the air out, making it easier to keep the material out of the seals. Try it both ways, you'll see a difference.
We have been turning both fans on, shutting the door, then going out and closing the bunk ends. This sucks the material in tight away from the seals. Just have to remember to go in and turn everything off. Works well when only one person is closing up.
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Nites Camped 2016 -25
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #20
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
this applies more to the newer pre-attached canvas ends, not the older bungee/snap canvas ends.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote