Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #1

Bunk question

We are proud new owners of a 2015 Roo 233s. These forums have been wonderful!!!! I love reading all the advice. I have many questions but the main one right now is folding up the bunks. Do you tuck the bar in the mattress fold or have it on the outside to help hold the mattress on the bunk? Which is the right way? If I tuck the bar, the mattress opens up and hangs off the bunk or even fall off. Here is a picture of the bar holding it in but I don't want to ruin the bar or something if this isn't the right way. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1403454475.782141.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	594.6 KB
ID:	56021

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michele in Colorado.
Towing with 2007 Ford F150
Camping in Colorado
cropper127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #2

Good question! I've wondered this too-
Family of 4: Hubby, me, 2 teenagers
1 Rat Terrier
duncmelsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #3

We put both the cross bar and center bar in the mattress, then fold. There are snaps on the sides of our mattress that we wind around the cross bar support before snapping to the bunk end. Keeps everything folded up and doesn't push on the bunk ends. Our pdi tech showed us this, not sure if right or wrong but it does seem to work well for us.
On another note, there was a post about using vent fans on to help pull vinyl ends in when closing the bunk ends. With door shut and both our fans on, the whole vinyl end gets pulled away from the seals while closing. Works great if anyone is worried about catching any bunk ends in the seals.
This is on a 2014 23ss btw.
Jim
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #4

I just went to check our mattresses but I don't see any snaps.
Camping in Colorado
Old 06-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cropper127 View Post
I just went to check our mattresses but I don't see any snaps.
Our mattresses have two large straps with snaps at the end and two small straps, one on each side on the end that you fold up. The small straps on the sides are the ones that get wrapped around the support and snap to the side of the bunk end. Maybe FR did away with them?
Old 06-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #6

Photo of the mattress, front right side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403469074354.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	56037  
Old 06-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
Site Team

we tuck the C-hoop into the folded mattress, before raising the bunk door.

and the outside mattress straps wrap around the C-hoop, then snap to the inside of the bunk door. then end of the mattress snaps to the other inside snaps of the bunk door.

this is how it works on a 2007 Roo, before they changed to the preattached canvas.
don't know how the mattresses are attached now.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #8

We close our Roo up like your photo. Bar on top.
I have already had 2 snaps break off the beds. Our PDI tech showed us like the photo but I would say our tech didn't know a whole lot about hybrids either.
Good question. I'll try tucking in between the mattress when flipped for closing.
We also have the 2 foam boards attached to the door under the mattresses so that lifts the mattress some as well (snaps broke before installation of foam boards).
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:13 AM   #9

One of our snaps was broken on one of the larger straps. I had a snap kit from our boat so I just repaired it myself.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #10

I don't have a problem having the bar help hold the mattress but I am worried about harming the bar. Where else should I ask for assistance? Should I or could I call Forest River? I want this trailer to out last me.. LOL...

Thanks, Michele
Old 06-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
Site Team

check out RVW's video library.
they had a couple of Roo videos that showed setting up and putting away the canvas ends.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #12

This is an interesting read! We have been just leaving our bar like your photo, on the outside of the mattress but I never really thought it held anything in place, that seems to be those 4 fabric straps with snaps purpose. I like the idea of folding the bar into the mattress for neatness but my fear would be any pressure on either the bar or mattress from anything binding or getting stuck could do damage to either....don't know if it would but I like as much "free to move" things when folding the beds up so I make sure no fabric is getting stuck in door seals. LOVE the idea of running the vent fans with doors shut to "suck" the tent fabric in when closing!

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebemis View Post
This is an interesting read! We have been just leaving our bar like your photo, on the outside of the mattress but I never really thought it held anything in place, that seems to be those 4 fabric straps with snaps purpose. I like the idea of folding the bar into the mattress for neatness but my fear would be any pressure on either the bar or mattress from anything binding or getting stuck could do damage to either....don't know if it would but I like as much "free to move" things when folding the beds up so I make sure no fabric is getting stuck in door seals. LOVE the idea of running the vent fans with doors shut to "suck" the tent fabric in when closing!
Point well taken. On our 23ss, if the cross spport bar for the rear bunk isn't folded up in the mattress and secured, the bar is up against the rear wall and rubs on the wood corner. I don't think you have that issue on a full open bunk. We've noticed the front mattress wanted to fall out more into the trailer when not secured with the straps. Just not sure how long those straps will hold up. YMMV.

You'll be surprised how the bunk ends and fabric gets pulled in the first time you try it with the fans on and door closed

Jim
Old 06-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #14

AHH Jim THAT is a VERY interesting point! I never really have looked at the wall that our 233S Rear Bunk's Bar must be resting on when folded in...you can bet if it is touching the wood and marking it up, I will commence folding that bar INSIDE the mattress like you mentioned!

Glad to hear about the fan idea, I am headed out this weekend for a trip so Sunday AM when I'm packing up, I am excited to give it a WHIRL .....No Pun Intended! ;-)

and oh ya....those snaps really aren't that strong, I already had to squeeze one of them back together with pliers...making me think maybe having a "snap repair kit" on had would be smart!

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #15

Have been folding the bar inside the mattress for four seasons and using the snaps on the top and sides. We also fold ours up with sheets and heavier fleece blanket on as well. When I had the new bunk doors installed a couple of seasons back, the crew at the factory told me to make sure the door and screen were open when folding the bunks. They said the newer ends are much more air tight and it helps get all the material in easier...works for us. I also tend to leave the side windows on the bunks unzipped a couple of inches...we leave them that way all the time to help with ventilation/condensation.

2019 Vibe 261BHS
2021 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear
Husky Centerline TS WD Hitch
Buckeyecmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyecmpr View Post
Have been folding the bar inside the mattress for four seasons and using the snaps on the top and sides. We also fold ours up with sheets and heavier fleece blanket on as well. When I had the new bunk doors installed a couple of seasons back, the crew at the factory told me to make sure the door and screen were open when folding the bunks. They said the newer ends are much more air tight and it helps get all the material in easier...works for us. I also tend to leave the side windows on the bunks unzipped a couple of inches...we leave them that way all the time to help with ventilation/condensation.
I'm new to hybrids...well TT in general, but I fail to see how leaving the door and screen door open when folding up the bunks will help get all the material in??? Did the "crew" say how this actually helps?

2014 Roo 21ssL...towed by 2015 Ram Power Wagon
RACKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #17

I talked to someone at forest river. They say they tuck the bar in the mattress I'm going to do that on our next trip. Mine doesn't have the straps so when you tuck the bar on the side bunk, the mattress just flops down. Oh well.. As far as having the door open when you close bunks, we turn on the exhaust fan and close the door and windows. It causes a suction to help keep the canvas tucked in so we get a good seal when the bunks are closed.

Thanks everyone!
Michele

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Camping in Colorado
Old 07-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKMAN View Post
I'm new to hybrids...well TT in general, but I fail to see how leaving the door and screen door open when folding up the bunks will help get all the material in??? Did the "crew" say how this actually helps?
You are significantly reducing the interior volume of the trailer when you close the bunks. If everything is closed, there is no place for the air from the bunk ends to escape since the tent ends are attached. So you have to compress the air which pressurizes the trailer. With that little extra air pressure inside it creates resistance when trying to close the bunks and its harder to push everything in when you close up. Whether you use the fans or open the door probably doesn't matter much - you just need to give that air someplace to go.

The reverse is true as well. When setting up the tent ends, it can be hard to do if everything is closed becasue you create lower air pressure inside.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Having the door open allows the air to escape from the trailer. The htt's are much more airtite then a popup, therefore when closing bunk ends, the open door allows the air out, making it easier to keep the material out of the seals. Try it both ways, you'll see a difference.
We have been turning both fans on, shutting the door, then going out and closing the bunk ends. This sucks the material in tight away from the seals. Just have to remember to go in and turn everything off. Works well when only one person is closing up.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
this applies more to the newer pre-attached canvas ends, not the older bungee/snap canvas ends.