Old 07-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
7 years with slide outs and have yet to find a reason to spend money on slide toppers
X2

Get the power awning though

Old 07-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1. Power awning over manual is one of those gray areas. No right or wrong choice here. FWIW, we like the power awning and have had both. No problems with wind and easier retract when you want to.

2. Your choice. I don't care on this trailer so I opted not to upgrade to aluminum.

3. Yes - If you camp when its freezing.

4. Yes - but you might want to do this yourself. FR will probably install an LCI from the factory. These are not too reliable. We replaced ours with a Barker 3500vip the first summer.

5. Easy to install a Prodigy P2 or P3 with most makes of trucks that have the wiring harness in place.

6. Equal-i-zer is a very good WDH. So is the Reese Dual Cam among others. 1000/10,000 lb bars is what you need.

We also like our slide-out awning. Much cheaper if you get this from the factory than it would be if you add it later. We have had no problems with ours. In fact, if you don't get one, than plan to sweep off the slide-out when you bring it in. Of course, we are almost always in the woods, so YMMV.

I second the vent cover recommendations. Nice to leave the vents open when its raining. Keeps down the condensation, too, which is something to watch out for.

Do you dry camp? If so, you will need much bigger batteries than the group 24 that the dealer will provide. Or, plan to take along a generator (preferably a quiet Honda or Yamaha). The group 24 is fine if you are always on electric.

Then there are useful items to buy after you get the trailer. My advice is to camp for a weekend first to see what you really need. However, one item that most seem to agree on is a good awning rug. I also recommend the following: A multimeter, torque wrench for your wheel lugs and Equal-i-zer bolts, cordless drill for your stabilizers and LED bulbs.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by budven View Post
I am considering buying a new Rockwood Roo 23ss and need help from some of you seasoned veterans in choosing the options. I live in southeastern PA and will be towing with a 2010 Ford Explorer 4x4 4.8L engine with the tow package which I believe is rated for 7115lbs.
you have to have the 3.55 rear end and the factory tow package with the factory type III/IV receiver to tow the 7115lbs. and it's a 4.6L, not 4.8L engine.

Here are my questions...

1. Do I really want/ need a power awning vs. a manual awning?
IMHO, i like having the manual awning and wouldn't want a power awning.
2. What about aluminum wheels vs. standard wheels?
that's strictly a "Bling" issue. if you want the "Bling", then go for it.
3. Do I really need heated holding tanks?
if you plan on camping in cold weather, then it's a good option. i live in California and would never use it.
4. Do I really need a power tongue jack?
yes, especially with a WDH. you can buy one on Ebay for around $100, so compare that to what the option costs.
5. Should I buy the brake controller and install it myself?
depends on what the dealer charges. i bought my Prodigy from RVW for $100 and installed it myself in 30 minutes. very easy, the only thing easier was installing the power jack.
6. Should I buy the Equal-i-zer 4 pt. 1000/10000 myself?
again, depends on what the dealer charges. i bought my Equalizer from RVW and the dealer i bought my 23SS from, installed it for free.

Any other advise is welcome as I am in the research stage of buying.

if you plan to camp in wooded campgrounds, get the factory slidetopper. i made the mistake of not and ended up paying more to have CW install one. so glad we have one now.
if you only camp in parking lot-style RV parks that have very few trees, then it may not be worth it.
also, #1 hybrid mod: order Popup Gizmos or get the generic solar blanket versions for the bunk ends.

Thanks for any help.
you'll love your 23SS!!! and Welcome to the "Roo Kroo"!!!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #14

You are right Bikendan it is a 4.6L in mistyped that. It my Explorer sufficent to tow the 23SS? It seems I am ok by at least 500lbs.

Thanks for your advice and the advice of others it is very helpful!
Old 07-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #15
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by budven View Post
You are right Bikendan it is a 4.6L in mistyped that. It my Explorer sufficent to tow the 23SS? It seems I am ok by at least 500lbs.

Thanks for your advice and the advice of others it is very helpful!
yes, if you have the factory tow package, with the type III/IV receiver, the Ford towing guide says you have the 7155lbs. tow capacity.
that's just under my Avalanche and it tows our 23SS just fine.
get the 1000/10000lbs. Equalizer and Prodigy BC from RVW and you'll be good to go get it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #16

X2 on get the slide topper. Who wants to drag out the ladder to clear debris and bird droppings off the top of the slide every time they break down?

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #17

Power awnings are nice ..when the weather/ winds act up.. its a lot easier to push a button and roll them in 8 -12 seconds ? a power tounge jack..much better when hitching/un-hitching..rain vent covers very good idea...i have had them on 3 units so far..pick up a extra 30 amp ..25-30 ft extension cord ( once in a while.. you may not reach the post ) work a deal out when buying ..for all of the items that you need..good luck !!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
yes, if you have the factory tow package, with the type III/IV receiver, the Ford towing guide says you have the 7155lbs. tow capacity.
that's just under my Avalanche and it tows our 23SS just fine.
get the 1000/10000lbs. Equalizer and Prodigy BC from RVW and you'll be good to go get it.
We towed our popup w/ a 4.0 V6 Explorer with the factory tow package. Rated for 5,000 lbs. Was fine for that, but a TT is going to have a lot more resistance. Obviously the V8 will make a big difference, but the 233 is probably going to be a lot of trailer for that vehicle. The Explorer, IMO is a not in the same league as the Avalanche. If you within the weight ratings, should work, but I think you really feel the drag on the tv. A good hitch and sway control setup should help a lot.

And, for what it's worth -

I would say go for the power awning (had both and love the power awning).

Go for the aluminum wheels. Steel are going to eventually chip and rust. Plus the Roo's aluminum wheels do look pretty sharp.

Defintely get the power tongue jack. I thought that was totally un-neccessary but it ours came from the factory with it. Now after many hooks/unhooks with the WDH, I wouldn't want to be without it.

Heated tanks - unless you camp when it is literally freezing out (not my thing) you wouldn't need them.

We have the factory slide topper awning. It is nice, but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to keep it from accumulating water. Gets a big puddle on top every time it rains.

And - while we are on options - you already have 3 beds, but if you have plans for the couch - consider the air mattress if it is an option on that couch. Our couch is really not usefeul as a bed except for a small child.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #19
cogito ergo moo

For me, the single best option I got was the inflatable queen bed in the sofa. Very comfy and nice to have for the occasional guests.

Tim
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
For me, the single best option I got was the inflatable queen bed in the sofa. Very comfy and nice to have for the occasional guests.

Tim

I like that option too.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote