Old 07-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #1

Buying new - help with options

I am considering buying a new Rockwood Roo 23ss and need help from some of you seasoned veterans in choosing the options. I live in southeastern PA and will be towing with a 2010 Ford Explorer 4x4 4.8L engine with the tow package which I believe is rated for 7115lbs.

Here are my questions...

1. Do I really want/ need a power awning vs. a manual awning?2. What aboutaluminum wheels vs. standard wheels?3. Do I really need heated holding tanks?
4. Do I really need a power tongue jack?
5. Should I buy the brake controller and install it myself?
6. Should I buy the Equal-i-zer 4 pt. 1000/10000 myself?

Any other advise is welcome as I am in the research stage of buying.

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by budven View Post
I am considering buying a new Rockwood Roo 23ss and need help from some of you seasoned veterans in choosing the options. I live in southeastern PA and will be towing with a 2010 Ford Explorer 4x4 4.8L engine with the tow package which I believe is rated for 7115lbs.

Here are my questions...

1. Do I really want/ need a power awning vs. a manual awning?

My preference is manual. I set it in carport position all the time. The manual is much sturdier in the wind.

2. What aboutaluminum wheels vs. standard wheels?

The aluminum wheels look a lot nicer and no rusting.

3. Do I really need heated holding tanks?

Only if you camp early or late in the season.

4. Do I really need a power tongue jack?

Very nice to have especially for getting the W/D bars into/out of position.

5. Should I buy the brake controller and install it myself?

Price them out...if favorable, get the dealer to include in the deal.

6. Should I buy the Equal-i-zer 4 pt. 1000/10000 myself?

Same as above.

Any other advise is welcome as I am in the research stage of buying.

Thanks for any help.
Good luck with your shopping.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
camping

x2 - we have the power awning, ours goes in during windy periods and our friends with manuals stay out. our last camper had the manual and I like it better

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #4

Agree with all but the manual VS power manual. My last TT had a manual awning that was damaged during a freak wind/hail storm. If I'd had my power one I could have rolled it up immediately without exposing myself to the hail storm and it would not have been damaged.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #5

Get the manual awning if you can. The power awning was already an option installed on the new trailer I just purchased. Couldn't find one with the manual. I would have chose that route if I could.

Get the dealer to include the Equal-i-zer in the deal. While your at it, make him throw in Max Air vent covers too.

Power tounge jacks are nice and help with the WD hitch as Dave said above, but not super necessary. And if you get a trailer without one, it is an easy install afterward.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Ive had manual and power awning.
I prefer power awning.
15 seconds out 15 seconds in.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #7

IMHO, I would get a slide topper before any of #1-4 if you have to budget.

A slide topper will prevent most of the debris (leaves, pine cones, sap, bird droppings, snow & ice , etc) from getting into the top slide seals and ensure nothing is up there to get caught and jammed into the slide when closing up. It will also keep most of the rain off too, possibly preventing leaks, especially if the trailer is slightly high on the slide side which would otherwise keep rainwater against that upper seal.

Other than 5 & 6 which are mandatory, if I could get just one option it would be a slide topper no question. My second pick would be the electric tongue jack for the convenience.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOC View Post
IMHO, I would get a slide topper before any of #1-4 if you have to budget.

A slide topper will prevent most of the debris (leaves, pine cones, sap, bird droppings, snow & ice , etc) from getting into the top slide seals and ensure nothing is up there to get caught and jammed into the slide when closing up. It will also keep most of the rain off too, possibly preventing leaks, especially if the trailer is slightly high on the slide side which would otherwise keep rainwater against that upper seal.

Other than 5 & 6 which are mandatory, if I could get just one option it would be a slide topper no question. My second pick would be the electric tongue jack for the convenience.
We don't have a slide topper awning. We camped with some folks who did and they said their awning bows in and captures the rain water when it rains, so they have to go up and clear the water before they can put their slide in. Kind of negates the reason for having a slide topper, doesn't it?
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

7 years with slide outs and have yet to find a reason to spend money on slide toppers
Old 07-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
We don't have a slide topper awning. We camped with some folks who did and they said their awning bows in and captures the rain water when it rains, so they have to go up and clear the water before they can put their slide in. Kind of negates the reason for having a slide topper, doesn't it?
We've never had those or any issues with ours, or our friends that have them. I can see this happening with really long slides, or if the fabric wasn't strung tight enough maybe. If ours ever start to collect water I'd adjust the roll tension. It might also depend on the height of the slide, and how it was installed. Obviously there's lots of people who don't have them and have no complaints. Just my personal opinion that the benefits outweigh the risks of it causing problems.

I've seen the tree debris falling off the slide topper that it's collected, and am glad we have one.