Old 04-29-2015, 02:12 PM   #11
I started looking for a used Roo over a year ago... I found that Roo owners were very proud of their units... that is they were priced quite high for used. I found a new 2014 model 183 for $17K at a dealer and jumped on it in May last year. I have 3 queen bunks in a very small 19' trailer that is not too heavy for my current tow vehicle.

IMO, A 2002 with any water damage should be priced much less then $5500. Only after tearing the trailer apart, looking it over with a fine tooth comb and spending at least 2 hours looking at everything with a flashlight and a helper, would I even consider giving them a fraction of what they are asking.

If the tires are over 3 years old, you are looking at probably in the neighborhood of $6-800 for a new set, balanced and mounted, no matter what the current tires look like, they need to be changed out every 3-5 years.

With a 5+ hour drive to get it, I think I would run away...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab HEMI 3.21 8 Spd 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #12
Old Ram Guy
I agree with everything you've heard already about the "repaired" water damage, but if this really interests you, that could be a great bargaining chip if the seller is willing to deal. Water damage can cause a lot of hidden damage and they would have to convince me that ALL water damage was repaired; not just a cover up with new flooring or cosmetic fixes. It may be worth a look and, if you aren't sure what to look for, I'd take someone with me that knows campers inside and out. The worst thing about buying a used camper is having to repair the things you didn't break, but even new units come with problems.

Marty, Jenice and DD
Avenger61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:34 PM   #13
Had a Shamrock, it has a high maintenance hinge area. We tried just about everything to control the mold. Replaced the gaskets, didn't help. Before we traded it we super cleaned the hinges - the dealer remarked he never seen one this clean.
I would not buy any TT with water damage/repair. TT are highly susceptible to mold and have to be aired/dehumidified. Please review the previous messages, 5 hours is too far to go to be disappointed.
D. J. Schuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:09 PM   #14
I also chose this route and looking back, i will never do it again. Every repair will take you more time and effort than you can imagine. If you're good a carpentry and want the challenge, 1,000 would be my max price as it's essentially a fix er upper.
2006 Roo 23B hybrid

1999 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4.8L with tow package
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:38 PM   #15
Thank you all so much for your feedback! I think we will be following everyone's advice and just walk away from this one. We are already dealing with mold in our current pop up as it was not taken care of by the previous owner. The hybrid we were interested in has not been owned by its current owner for very long so I'm thinking it's asking for a whole lot of trouble. We'll just keep our eyes open and probably stick out another summer with our current pop up.
Rivermom333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:00 AM   #16
We have a Shamrock 21ss and love it. Got it used too 2006 and also had water damage but the price allowed for repairs which I did. It was a untightened filter under the front bed area. Very slow but eventually rotted the floor-easy repair, put in new laminate floor after repairs Allure. Love the TT lots of room and goodies. If you are serious about the tt, have it checked for everything. Good luck
TinkerToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:37 AM   #17
Take The Road Less Travld
Welcome RiverMom. I am a father of three boys so I can relate. We had a popup for 7 years before getting the Roo and I love it. Much more room and more comfortable on rainy days.
My best advice would be to learn about the tings to look for when buying a used Roo. You might be looking at something good but just need to educate yourself on what to look for. Everyone here could bring up items to look for and overwhelm you with all the tidbits of possibilities. Did this new owner say they just didn't like camping, or it didn't work out? Is there evidence of mold or water spots? are there soft spots in the floor, walls or ceiling? does everything work? I'm sure there are youtube videos on what to look for in a used hybrid as well.
Good Luck!
"Take The Road Less Traveled"
2013 Rockwood Roo 233s
2013 Ford F150 FX4
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
I'm sure there are youtube videos on what to look for in a used hybrid as well.
Good Luck!
I don't know any youtube videos (although that would be great if there are any), but this might help... Forest River Forums - Downloads - PDI Checklist

I actually think its as much or more useful for a used camper purchase as it is for a new camper.

DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote