Old 03-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
Bypass to Water Heater

I will be heading out next week on my first multi-day camping excursion with my 2011 Rockwood Roo 233s. The water heater is bypassed now, because of the winterization process - the pros did it for me using antifreeze.

Of course, I plan to push all the antifreeze out of the pipes before I reverse the bypass.

But my question is this: when needed, how the heck do I reach those bypass valves? From the outside of the trailer, it seems like I would have to crawl into the storage door to reach them. I need to look again, but from inside the trailer, maybe the storage/cabinet doors under the sofa or the bed would allow me to reach the valves?

fedrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
They'll be in fact accessed through the inside of unit not the outside.

When filling tank open the pressure relief valve to allow air to escape.

08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant
locate the outside water heater hatch.
then go inside to find a cabinet inside of the hatch.
you should be able to unscrew a cabinet panel to access the valves.

there are a number of removable cabinet panels in your Roo. many of us put hinges on them to turn them into doors.
i did on the panel covering the WH and also where the inside FW tank is.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
On the 233S you will need to swing the back of the couch over like you are making the bed. Pick up the front of the bottom cushion on the couch & I will lift up as it is on a hinge. You can see the water heater to the front left behind a false wall. The bypass valves are within easy reach using this method. There are 3 ways to access that front storage compartment, outside, through the inside door & by lifting the bottom cushion which allow full access to everything under the couch storage area.
2001 Chevy Silverado
2011 Rockwood Roo 233S
rbq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
water heater bypass

With my Grey Wolf 28BH I made a turn key from a piece of wood 2" X 7/8" onto which I attached 2 cleats extending beyond the length of wood about 2". This fits over the water heater valves and easily turns them. The length of this device reaches from outside the trailer through the storage compartment door which is on the opposite side of the wh. This saves me from lifting the queen bed and removing the small panel to gain access to the wh. Crawling through the storage compartment door along the full width of the trailer was not an acceptable alternative.
2013 Grey Wolf Select 28BH
2012 Ford F250 Lariet Super Duty 4X4
Nights camped in 2015 = 36 and counting
biker2 is online now   Reply With Quote

bypass, heater, water, water heater