Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #1

Camper back up trailer

Any one using a back up camera on the back of your camper? I have one on the truck but thinking about installing one on the back of the camper. Any one have any ideas?
airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:02 PM   #2

I was looking into something like that, too, but was pretty disappointed in the reviews I read on the ones i,was researching on Amazon. Most of the negatives I saw had to do with limited range of the transmitters. I then realized that my wife gave me a Go Pro Hero 3+ that's Wi-Fi equipped, and it has a range of 600' (allegedly!). I use it and my iPad, and it works great.
mattyboy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:07 AM   #3

Friend gave me a wireless unit he bought for his SUV and then traded. second season and I have not hooked it up. Backing up without a backup camera doesn't seem that much of an issue. I tested the unit by powering the camera and setting it 30 ft behind the vehicle and it worked fine so when I get around to wiring it to lights I am sure it will be ok. Plan to use trailer lights that I can turn on when I back up. I'll still have the wife stand back there

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
richl167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by richl167 View Post
Friend gave me a wireless unit he bought for his SUV and then traded. second season and I have not hooked it up. Backing up without a backup camera doesn't seem that much of an issue. I tested the unit by powering the camera and setting it 30 ft behind the vehicle and it worked fine so when I get around to wiring it to lights I am sure it will be ok. Plan to use trailer lights that I can turn on when I back up. I'll still have the wife stand back there

The key element here is when you have the engine running and put it in gear to do what you bought it for. I tried one, and the bluetooth in the TV couldnt be shut off or disabled and produced so much static that the picture is unusable at all
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
Site Team

I use this one. It is not wireless but there is no interference in either direction and the picture is great, the screen large and it has audio. Yes you do need to run a wire, but it is a one time deal and took less than an hour I did more than was needed. ( I ran 3/4" flex wiring protector the length of RV and pulled through that also have in place if I need to add any other wiring front to back) You also have one more connection to make when hooking up and unhooking, but it is much less than the other systems and no range or interference issues. I am very happy. Got mine from BHphoto.

Rear View Safety RVS-770613 Rear View Camera

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:47 AM   #6

I have one on my TT. I extended the connection for the one on my truck up into the truck bed and disconnect the truck camera and plug in the trailer camera when I am towing. I keep the TT camera on all the time while towing.
Charliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I use this one. It is not wireless but there is no interference in either direction and the picture is great, the screen large and it has audio. Yes you do need to run a wire, but it is a one time deal and took less than an hour I did more than was needed. ( I ran 3/4" flex wiring protector the length of RV and pulled through that also have in place if I need to add any other wiring front to back) You also have one more connection to make when hooking up and unhooking, but it is much less than the other systems and no range or interference issues. I am very happy. Got mine from BHphoto.

Rear View Safety RVS-770613 Rear View Camera
I plan on doing the same. I already had a wireless one on my TV, so I plan on running a hard wired camera from the TT to the wireless transmitter on the TV, then disconnect the camera from the TV and plug in the TT backup camera when we are camping. Sounds very similar to Charliec's set up.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:09 PM   #8

I installed a camera on the back of my TT and on the tow vehicle. It really comes in handy when changing lanes in traffic. The cameras also have microphones built in so I can hear directions from my spotter when backing into a camp site. I got mine from Rear View Safety. Backup Camera System | Rear View Backup Camera | RearViewSafety.com
Lowes48fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyboy76 View Post
I then realized that my wife gave me a Go Pro Hero 3+ that's Wi-Fi equipped, and it has a range of 600' (allegedly!). I use it and my iPad, and it works great.

I was thinking about doing the same with my GoPro but saw some folks complained that there was a several second delay by the time the video showed on the iPad. Do you notice a lag or is it pretty much realtime?

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #10

Just installed one this past week. Tadi Brothers system. Two cameras. One "eye ball" mounted next to the license plate for backing up to the hitch. This one was hard wired. Picked up the reversing signal and power from the trailer plug. Came off the brake controller for the monitor and have it where I can have the display up on the dash. Also installed wireless for the trailer. Camera is 120 degree view mounted just below the center running light at the rear of the trailer. Drilled through and wired up stream of my real living light below the cabinet. The transmitter is installed in that cabinet opposite the camera. All works quite well and will be taking it out tomorrow for the first road test and back up into a camp space. I am sure I will need to make some adjustments for proper angle. This provides me viewing behind when traveling down the road as well as back up. Hopefully it will make backing less of a communication adventure between my wife and me.
80gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
I was thinking about doing the same with my GoPro but saw some folks complained that there was a several second delay by the time the video showed on the iPad. Do you notice a lag or is it pretty much realtime?

There is a short lag, but not several seconds in my experience so far.
mattyboy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #12

Hard wire it. You won't be sorry at all.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:09 AM   #13

Back-up Verses Observation camera system

I have seen lots of conversations on the Back up camera system, but I can tell you from experience that if you want a wireless system look for Observation camera system, not Back-up camera'.
I had purchased a Back-up system from a Furrion supplier, and it would work fine for doing exactly what it is, a Back-up only system. On the highway the range of the camera to the transmitter would go out of range constantly. I called the Furrion support line and they were fantastic. They stated that if you want a system that stays live while driving, you need a Observation system, not Back-up. They exchanged my system and it works great! It never loses range and the video has no delays. I just made a 1200 mile trip from FL to OH and not a glitch with the system. The Furrion Support team is awesome! Since many FR units come with the Furrion Bracket already installed, I highly recommend their system. It took me maybe 5 mins to install on the trailer and the monitor to less then a minute to sync. Please note that FR uses the running lights to power that camera for the factory wiring. You must run the parking lights to have the camera on. That works great for me. If I do not want the camera on I just turn off the tail lights. Then turn back on when I wan that on. Love it.
speedozeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:51 AM   #14
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Go ahead and back up....lol

Title says it all for the mis-communications I get from DW! My daughter and DW gave me a rear view safety systems camera and monitor. I placed it just below the center lite on the rear of my Crusader. Monitor is crystal clear, large and bright. I currently have it wired thru a delay relay and some diodes, such that if I tap the brakes or use the turn signals, it will come on for 5 minutes. Do either, and the timer restarts.
I wired mine thru the underbelly with a fish tape, up thru the floor along by the slide, hid the wire along the slide seal, behind the ceiling/roof moulding, thru the rear cabinets, then out thru the back wall just under the center rear marker lite.
Taped the lead in wire to the umbilical cord for the fiver, and make the connections at the same time when hooking up. So far, so fine!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, trailer