Old 06-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #21
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
I have a hard and fast rule, DO NOT LOAN MONEY, CAMPERS, TOOLS, LAWN MOWERS to relatives. It is the fastest and quickest way to make enemies with your relatives and friends that will never speak to you again.

This is my rule!

These are their kids, not relatives.....There's a difference!....

2016 Grey Wolf 26DBH following a 2014 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman

Life is good...Live it!
(2014) Nights Camped - 16 in 6 trips (2015) Nights Camped - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) Nights Camped - 21 in 7 trips
Winter :'(
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #22
Camper borrowing

Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post

X 2. Exactly. We were put on this earth by God to care for our kids the rest of their lives. Lol

Let kids use it. I can fix it if need be !
Other family not a chance!!!

CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:59 AM   #23
umm.... No.
In normal circumstances. In an emergency, different solutions may apply.
Too many disparate systems for them to "learn" - water, electrical, mechanical, towing, rules / regulations / policy and procedures.
If they are experienced campers / drivers, etc . . .
Retired U.S. Coast Guard Mustang
Presently a librarian @ Duke
2016251RKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #24
I was taught a long, long, long time ago never ever loan money, never rent and never go into business with family members. I have seen families split apart over these issues; you start out with the best of intentions but somewhere it all goes wrong.

I have three wonderful children and they have there own families now, but all three do things totally different than I do. So I do not loan tools, money or would ever go into business with them. We love them and do not want any issues with them over things.

Just my $0.02
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67
Jim34RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #25
My wife and I actually borrowed my parents TT one trip a few years back, my parents had slowed down using it as they got older, a cpl years later we bought it from them. They decided they couldn't handle it anymore but didn't want to let it go, my dad will come camping with us now from time to time especially since we upgraded to a much larger TT now. The big thing was they knew we were responsible people and wouldn't trash it.
Bear fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #26
When my wife and I bought our house we had a 2 week time when we had nowhere to live so my in laws let us borrow their TT so we had a place to stay and we were grateful for that. Our kids treated it with more care than their house LOL. If it were my kids I would stress the fact if one thing is broke due to their neglect they will never use it again. Maybe take a security deposit of sorts and if any damage done to it they loose the deposit. Maybe the amount of your insurance deductible. Just a idea to toss around.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #27
Don't Camp Enough
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
We have encouraged our kids (4 of them) to use our camper any time they wish and they have taken us up many times in the past.
We also taught them that when you borrow something ,you return it in as good or better condition.
Other people, friends or relatives--no. We did not have any say in their upbringing.
'2016 Rockwood 8288WSA
'2010 Tundra

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #28
Canadian Member
How much do you trust your daughter, her husband and their kids? Especially with a hybrid. Do you have more than one child that would want the same, and do you trust them all equally?

Lot's of folks around here let their kids use the family cottage for the weekend without being there but I think a camper is more vulnerable to damage than a cottage.

Honestly, I would never have asked my parents to borrow their trailer. Too much pressure and if anything went wrong I'd feel awful about it.

We started out in a 2-person tent (even used it on our honeymoon), then rented a popup when DW got pregnant and eventually bought a popup and moved up from there.

If you've camped with them for years and have every reason to believe they would take care of it as well or better than you, then I would consider loaning it to them for 1 trip a year within 2 hours of our home so I could help them out in an emergency.

If they asked to use it for multiple weekends, I think that's pushing it, and I'd say no.

If you're not 100% sure, I'd go with B&B's suggestion and tell them to get a tent or rent a popup or a cabin, and go camping with them.
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #29
My brother and his wife have an open invitation to use our TT whenever they want. This is our way of saying thank you for letting us store it at their house for free until we get our driveway widened.

They have yet to take us up on the offer.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 with towing package
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #30
Yes, I would let the kids use it, it would have to be a family situation, not my 22year old and a bunch of her friends, husband, wife and kids no problem. I wouldn't be too crazy about loaning the tow vehicle along with it though. But I would do that also, I would do this mostly because of the grandkids. Lol

Now all that said, you have to take into consideration mechanical skills, towing skills and overall trustworthiness.

2016 Shamrock 23WS
Mainframe is offline   Reply With Quote