Old 06-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #41
Friend of mines husband convinced her to loan their camper to her brother-in-law. Nice unit, well kept. It was paid for therefore the insurance was dropped.

Brother-in-law pulled away with the garden hose still hooked up. Effectively pulled half the plumbing out through the wall, destroying the side of the camper in the process. Brother-in-law then pulled camper home without attempting to fix or stabilize anything. Between the initial wall damage, plumbing damage, and water damage, and then the wind from towing pulling things apart further, it was decided the camper was a total loss, and scrapped. Of course, Brother-in-law felt terrible, but brother-in-law couldnt afford a camper, or he'd have had one of his own.

I tow my camper with my race car!
Nights camped so far: 14
Luv70sFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #42
My son-in-law and daughter could use it and it would bring it back clean, and anything broken would be fixed or paid for, at their insistence. My oldest son and his beautiful wife would do the same. My youngest son and his equally beautiful wife (they're sisters ) would bring it back broken and dirty..... So to keep things even, it has to be no for all of them. It's definitely no for anyone else...

J & D in Lovely Weatherford, TX
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH TT
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 6.7L Cummins
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #43
My daughters would not ask. I have a 5er so no relatives have a TV that can handle it or the hitch to connect with. If they did have the equipment the answer would be NO. My truck is my daily driver so it is never loaned.
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2016 F350 diesel
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #44
RV rentals are all over the country now.
guyster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:46 AM   #45
Every case is different , most of my adult life I worked for my Father and drove all of his vehicles ,whether I wanted to or not , as he got older I did all of his repairs/maintenance on all of his company trucks and my Mothers cars . So using their cars and trucks was never an issue - it was family business .
They always had nice TT's and I didn't have to ask to use them .

NOW , my older sister on the other hand was not allowed to drive any of their cars/trucks ever . So using the TT was out of the question . I remember my Dad taking their TT to a campground and setting it up so her and her friends could use it a few times , when he went to pick it up it was always trashed out and she never offered to clean it . After a few times of that monkey business he put his foot down and she was not 'deserving' the use of it .
Both of my parents have passed away , my wife and I have no kids so this is not an issue for us , but if we did have kids it would depend on the character of the person NOT the fact that they feel they are 'entitled' to use our things .
Squatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:51 AM   #46
Interesting thread..this has been interesting to read.

About what I figured..75% no way and 25 % yes or a maybe.

Obviously a lot depends on the owner and who would borrow it.

I just love my kids too much to loan them anything of value over what I can afford to lose.
2004 Cedar Creek 34CTKS heavily customized
2006 Ford F350 FX4 Lariat Dually w/tow boss
1999 Lance 1110...cause it's easier for short trips.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #47
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
No but they can borrow my tent.
My thoughts, exactly! We have a tent and all the camping essentials to go along with it. Can use it ANYTIME! We'll even tag along camping in our TT as well.

As for the, that's easy...NOPE! We are a tad bit protective with our new TT. It's not really broke in yet. At least let us "break" something should it "accidentally" break!
Rick & Brian
1 Happy Camper Pup ( Mya )
2016 Salem Cruise Lite 171RBXL
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:40 PM   #48
In the 70's I had a canned ham kind of looking camper. Not very big. Hand water pump. No toilet. Icebox. Nothing fancy at all. No Air. But it was all I had. Ok for first wife and me and the only child I had at the time. I worked weekends on side jobs forever to pay the $600-$700 I paid for it. Pulled it with a 1967 GMC half ton.

I had those spin up pyramid base jacks I'd set under it so it wouldn't rock.

We went camping for the weekend. When I said it was time to go and we needed to hook up, first wife says "No we're leaving it here. My mom and dad are going to use it for a few days and then you can come and pick it up. They're paying the camping fee for while they're here"

I was furious. I didn't deserve to be in on this decision since I'm the one who put in the work to buy this trailer? First wife never made a spendable nickel while we were married.

That wasn't even the reason we split, much bigger issues. One was the time I got a call saying I owed the water company hundreds of dollars. We read our own meters. They came out and did a check and we were hundreds of thousands of gallons over our bill. I said "WTH is up with this?"

First wife says "I just pay the minimum every month. I'm not looking down there and reading that meter, that's your job"

Now 35 years later she's managed to go ahead and alienate my son and daughter both and neither one will see her or let her be in charge of their kids at all even for a short time.
2012 Windjammer 3001W-Florida Permanent site
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB-summer camping and work
2015.5 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ crew cab Z71 4x4
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #49
I have let my daughter use TT for weekend dog shows where other lodging not close by But I always towed it and sat up then returned to pick up at end
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #50
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
Hi Folks,

Simple question:
Would you let your children borrow your camper for week ends !

We have a new 2016 Roo 23ws and I personally don't agree. My wife on the other hand doesn't mind letting her daughter and her family use it .

What do you think !
Yes we let our kids use it (Ages 28 and 31) but they do not tow it............. Our Sons have used ours nemerous times with no issues..............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote