Old 06-18-2016, 05:44 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by shughey00 View Post
Interesting thread..this has been interesting to read.

About what I figured..75% no way and 25 % yes or a maybe.

Obviously a lot depends on the owner and who would borrow it.

I just love my kids too much to loan them anything of value over what I can afford to lose.
I noticed it too. More No than Yes.

What worries me (I'm the OP) is

1- Our camper is brand new (2016 with two weekend trips)......Still smells new!

2- My wife's daughter has two boys (5 and 3), and we all know how boys are !

3- If something happens to the camper, I know I won't be happy. I know it's only material but it's ours.
The past two years, we let them use our camper (our previous one) for a weekend each year, and it always came back with minor things broken.......I didn't say a word and fixed those things.

What to do !!!!!

Old 06-18-2016, 06:01 AM   #52

Maybe you should get them to a RV dealer just to look at some campers. Who knows they may find one that they like (I know I always do, just can afford it). They may get their own camper and then everyone will be happy. At the least they will see cost and think wow can't believe dad is letting us borrow his new camper. If they do purchase one then you get to show them how everything works, its a win win for everybody.

Have a Great Fathers Day weekend

Old 06-18-2016, 06:29 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBar View Post
Maybe you should get them to a RV dealer just to look at some campers. Who knows they may find one that they like (I know I always do, just can afford it). They may get their own camper and then everyone will be happy. At the least they will see cost and think wow can't believe dad is letting us borrow his new camper. If they do purchase one then you get to show them how everything works, its a win win for everybody.

Have a Great Fathers Day weekend
They wouldn't be interested in buying one.....for only one weekend a year!
Old 06-18-2016, 06:40 AM   #54

It is a difficult thing to say no sometimes. I used to be the Dad who always said yes....but I learned that love sometime..many times... answers with a No.

But there is you..me and many others with different views....I just think if it would cause a problem and the borrower has a risk factor that something would happen then there is nothing selfish in declining. We are not obligated to take care of our kids as someone else posted..for the rest of their lives. We help when we can and when we can't or don't want to then they are adults and need to understand.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:06 AM   #55
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Short answer...NO!!!!!

But, they're welcome (on occasion) to pitch a tent somewhere near us if they wish. Or...buy...or rent their own RV.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 125
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:37 AM   #56

No I would not loan it, but I would take them with me. My wife and I have worked hard all our lives with little time for just ourselves. The camper is for our together time . A part of our retirement package, if you will.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post

What to do !!!!!

Buy them a really nice tent. Like others have said, we all started off tent camping. Lots of good memories with the tent too.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #58

Well on a final note, i think you are sunk, the DW wants to lend it, (Strike one) if you don't go along with her you could end up paying for it in the long run LOL

You lent them your last one (strike 2) and got it back in one piece (mostly) so apparently they can tow and set one up.

(strike 3) I think you are going to look like a schmuck if you don't lend it now, if they break it just fix it and move on.

I can understand the DW wanting to lend it out but the 23ws (and hybrids in general) seem to have a HUGE learning curve, I am glad i started with a 17 and I am a retired auto tech!

On a side note...

I used to race a (highly modified) YZ 465 Motocross bike, we lived in the country and a lot of (trail rider friends) always wanted to try my bike. I always said "ok but I think it is going to spit you right off" the bike was built to crash so you rarely hurt it during a low speed spill.

Anyway my brother and I would set them up on it, aim them out toward the pasture and tell them at least 5 times DON'T GRAB A LOT OF THROTTLE STARTING OUT! We always looked at each other exchanging smirks right before the take off LOL

EVERY TIME (at the very least 12 different people of various riding abilities, some with 125 motocross bikes) the bike reared up and spit them right off!

Sometimes in life you think you can handle more than you actually can. That's when you get into trouble. It all comes down to who is writing the repair bill check!

Sorry Dre I don't think I am helping you much.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #59

I think that's now is your opportunity to say no. The fact that you have just purchased a new unit is a very valid excuse/reason. I'm sure your DW will understand that approach. It is very reasonable for your daughter-in-law to understand that this is a new purchase and means something to you and your wife.

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47
2017: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=2, Apr=3, May=6, June=6, July=6, Aug=6,Sept=3,
Running Total:190
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:32 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
I'd have to draw a line on that one. Ya can take care of kids but not go over board. I would never loan my camper to my kids. Nor to anyone else for that matter. Later RJD

I have to agree on the Fifth Wheel. We are going to let our kids use our park model though. We live closer we, can set it up for them, be there in 10 minutes if need be.

Tags
camper