Old 06-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #71
Let them rent one

Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
Hi Folks,

Simple question:
Would you let your children borrow your camper for week ends !

We have a new 2016 Roo 23ws and I personally don't agree. My wife on the other hand doesn't mind letting her daughter and her family use it .

What do you think !
I would just have to laugh and say NO! they aren't that expensive, but so much could go wrong. I might reconsider say if they were going to be homeless, in which case I would move it to where they were going to be staying with it, and put a lock on the hitch receiver. Other wise it would be Hell No, go rent on, buy one etc...

2016 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.2 L w/Ride Rite Air Leveling System.
2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #72
3 adult kids, 2 with families and none has ever asked to borrow the RV although a couple have borrowed the old tent. Closest I can comment on this issue was several years ago. My middle daughter and SIL gave us a week of camping at a SP. I had some work thing come up so I couldn't use it the first day, but I could drive and set up the RV the day before and offered it to them to use for that first day and night.
Went over water maintenance (naval showers), holding tank capacities, electrical, etc.
When DW and I showed up the next day found that SIL had drained the FW and completely filled the gray tank after 1 "naval shower" so I had to take care of both and there were some other issues. I was really steamed. These are all minor things and are more an indictment of me - I do not do well loaning out my important stuff. They are all welcome to join us and they do.
Got back this afternoon from 8 great days of camping. 2 of the kids and families were here cooking out and enjoying the pool; son had mowed the yard for a father's day greeting. All is good.

2015 Shamrock 231KSS, Oyster shell
2016 Chev Silverado LT Z71 Ext. Cab, 4x4, 5.3L V/8
Reese Straight Line WDH, 2000W Honda Gen.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping in 2015, 45 in 2016
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:45 PM   #73
Camper borrowing

NO I would not let them. They would not ask.
2016 Grey Wolf 26rr
2005 Honda VTX 1300
2002 F150 5.4L extended cab 6.5 bed
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:32 PM   #74
Our story. Growing up we camped,in a tent, to Airstream, to a motorhome. As me and my siblings had kids my dad always tried to get all of us together at the beach. It was to many for the camper so he rented condos and beach houses and we all gathered. As we all began to have our own kids we started something else. At a campground at the beach he reserved 4 weeks. Mama and daddy took a week and each of us kids took a week (there were 3 of us). Daddy went down first and set up and at the end of 4 weeks he went back and picked up the motorhome. Eventually he traded the MH for a 5er. As my siblings started not using their entire week my family used their days. We enjoyed it so much we started looking at campers and bought ourselves one. Daddy has now sold his 5er but we continue to camp and go to the beach at the same time every year. We have met a group of people that we really enjoy. For the first time in 15 yrs we are not going to be able to go due to my health.

I guess in the end we never asked to borrow the RV. It was offered to all of us. My family is the only family that really enjoys and going different places. We could have not met a better group of friends to spend our vacation with every summer.

Thanks dad. You gave us more than you realize.

2012 F350 CC SRW 6.7
2012 Sabre 34-REQS-6
2012 F-350 SRW 6.7
2012 Sabre 34-REQS
jsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:58 PM   #75
Site Team
I'm too protective of my trailer so the answer would be no. It would brother me for a very long time if there were any damage at all no matter how tiny.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:56 AM   #76
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Sounds like you're a failure as a Dad. And on Father's Day, too!!

Seriously, they don't all take to the lifestyle. Also, some don't take to it until they have kids of their own. So hang in there.

Hey guys....I'm female.
2013 Flagstaff 27RLWS - Chole'
2012 Ford F-150
2015 Ford F-150
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:03 AM   #77
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I'm too protective of my trailer so the answer would be no. It would brother me for a very long time if there were any damage at all no matter how tiny.
That's exactly the way I would feel (I'm the OP) I should have made a precision : It's a travel trailer and not a motorhome.
My stepdaughter's husband would pick up my camper with his truck. (he knows how to pull)
The thing that bothers me is they have two boys (5 and 3), and my hybrid is brand new (2016).
They borrowed my previous camper and it always came back with minor damages which I fixed................
I think I'm going to have a straight talk with them first, as my wife still wants to lend it to them !!!
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:42 AM   #78
We baby our new campers so much! I'm the only one who knows how to work everything the right way. It really depends on who you loan it to, but I would not loan my Roo to anyone!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote