Old 03-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #11

The LED colored lights with remote are fun to use and give you the ability to dim them or be wild and let them "dance". They are available from many sources. I get mine from MCM Electronics: Home and Pro Audio/Video, Security and Test Equipment and amazon to just name two sources.

they are easy to replace and not that expensive. I replaced my stock white lights last summer with colored remote control lights. I left them on in the driveway for weeks last summer without a hitch. We left for FL in January, and while it was still cool in North Fl I tried them out and found that I could not control them at all... in fact they seemed to want to do whatever they wanted. I turned the power off at the main inside switch and forgot about it. After traveling a little further south into warmer weather, well they acted OK, except for a few of the red LEDS in a 6 inch strip no longer lit up. Over the course of 9 weeks, in rain, cool, foggy weather, they sometimes worked the way they should and sometimes not.

My Shamrock 183 will only handle a 10 foot strip of LED lights and they seem to mostly come 16 foot to the LED strip. Not wanting to cut the strip off (which you can do) or wasting the extra lights, I gule-caulked them into place down the rear arm of the awning next to the camper wall. That is where the strip is mostly having lighting problems (some LEDs are out or dim) and I wonder if sometime the back of the strip would ground itself out to the metal of the awning posts with moisture???... when it warms up I will have to check now that I am back home.

As a backup porch light, I replaced the stock incandesent bulb on the outside porch light with an LED. The lens is yellow to make it kind of a bug-lite. It worked well when my LED lights were acting crazy. Glad I have both options available.

The LED strips work off of a 12V source voltage, and with a cutter and black tape you can easily splice in the remote control device near the awning (outside of the camper wall) where the 12V wires are exposed to power the LED strip under the awning. The LED strip you buy fits nicely into a grooved aluminum track mounted to the camper... slide in from one side.

I have already bought strip light holders to put on the awning roll end to give me even another light source for the evenings. When winter camping in FL in Jan and Feb, it gets dark early and outside lights sure help. In the summer they can add a non-harsh light source.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #12

The factory LED lights, mine are by Dometic, and very cool in color and are not appropriate for camping as far as I am concerned. When mine failed a bought a warmer color white from Amazon and spliced them in to the existing wires. It is now much more pleasant to have the lights on. Just make sure that your splice connections are watertight.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:55 PM   #13
rbq

I remember when we doing the PDI on our 2011 Roo & checking everything out & we couldn't get one of the slide windows open. The tech had to put a suction cup on out side to get it to move. Has worked fine ever since.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:26 PM   #14
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
If you decide on after market, china made, buy 2 of the strips. Sooner or later you'll use or need it. The 3m tape on them is bad, the 3m sticky type can be had at Lowes. IF you go back on this forum, to the mods posts, really tons of info.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #15

I am a firm believer in "You get what you pay for". Try this vendor:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...rips-and-bars/

You will never have to replace them again.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:29 AM   #16
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd1343 View Post
I am a firm believer in "You get what you pay for". Try this vendor:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...rips-and-bars/

You will never have to replace them again.
If you want 1 color only and want to pay more for the rest of the controllers,and etc., and have a sack full of green stuff, then go for it. Good vendor but not enough selections.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
If you want 1 color only and want to pay more for the rest of the controllers,and etc., and have a sack full of green stuff, then go for it. Good vendor but not enough selections.
Look at it this way: You spent $20,000 on a camper and expect a $20 string of lights not to fail relatively quickly. That logic makes no sense. The post was in response to replacing the OEM lights which are one color with no controller.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #18
Left Coast

I don't believe the leds have been out long enough yet, the flexible strips, to be used as we try to do . Also, the tape backing is very marginal. tear some off and you'll see that the tape is the insulator for the contacts. If people aren't careful with installing, they will work for a while, but road vibration will win. I've had leds since this first became the rage, and have tried a few vendors, and found paying more, doesn't mean you get more. There bound to get better in time.

Tags
awning, camper, light