Old 07-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #21
Campground etiquette

I have two responses. One is a direct answer and the other is me just sharing something that works for me.

1) Talking to your neighbor the next day about it is the right thing to do. Don't start the conversation with.. "Did you know you left your outside light on last night and it shined into our window."
Start with friendly greetings and normal conversation.. exchange names, where you are from... weather... Then tell them that the light bothered you and ask if they would turn it off before they go to bed. I know that some people are understanding and friendly and some are jerks. But most will be friendly and apologize and turn off the light. There is absolutely nothing you can do about the jerks anyway and they are few and far between within the camping community.
I used to be one of those jerks when i was much younger (18 to 20). Me and my buddies would ride into campgrounds on our motorcycles and never considered the fear and apprehension we caused to other campers. We would stay up late and party and never considered our neighbors.
Even as a young parent of 25, I did some things i am now ashamed of. Once I was camping at a campsite with my wife and 3 young boys and the guy next to us in a big motorhome was running his very loud generator after quiet time of 10PM. I knocked on his door and told him it was past 10PM and asked if he could please turn off his generator... He told me he would run his generator whenever he wanted to and stop bothering him. Mysteriously his generator stopped working at about 11:30PM...? Generators don't work with a broken spark plug. A small tap with a hammer was all it took. But that was the old me and i would never do that now.

2) People laugh when I tell them how I handle situations like this now, but when they are able to do it, they admit it works. Here is my solution.
It is not the noise or the light or whatever it is that is invading your rest that is keeping you up. It is your attitude toward that noise or light or whatever. It is your mental annoyance that someone would be so inconsiderate and the images of all the nasty things you want to say or do. You wring yourself up with anger and frustration to a point where you could never fall asleep. If I hear people partying now, I think of it as waves on the beach or children playing or good friends just having a good time. I do not have any anger or anxiety about it and i just fall asleep. I know it sounds weird, but if you can do it you will be amazed how it works.

larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #22
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Oh no, I ain't about to mess with you. When I see a coffin in front of an RV I steer clear. I think that coffin at your place in Goshen last year had everyone intimidated.
It Never Phased the "Witch Doctor"! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4591.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	114676   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4595.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	114677  

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #23
#1 would be my suggestion, but as some others have mentioned don't lead off with the light issue, some friendly chit chat would ease the transition and who knows they could end up being some great people to party/camp with for the week...

And also #3... another glass of wine is rarely a bad idea...!
Chief, U.S. Coast Guard Reserve
2016 Grey Wolf 23DBH
2007 F-150 5.4 Triton V8
Shawn.O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #24
Originally Posted by Major Oz View Post
Never understood why folks load up an RV to venture into the great outdoors....and then have a radio or TV.....OUTSIDE their unit.

Seems to obviate the whole concept.
AMEN TO THAT!!! My sentiments exactly!!!
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #25
Originally Posted by Major Oz View Post
Never understood why folks load up an RV to venture into the great outdoors....and then have a radio or TV.....OUTSIDE their unit.

Seems to obviate the whole concept.
Friends use to say that my idea of roughing it while camping was to take a black and white tv. Kids did what they wanted along with wife and I kicked back and relaxed. I worked hard through the week and weekends I wanted to relax.
Now I am older and only have the color TV's in the MH, but never have time to take it out. Hmmmm, something wrong here,, Retired and have less time then when I was working.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:03 PM   #26
Now that I'm retired, I don't know how I ever found time to go to work.

But to the original question... I would talk to the neighbor first.
Epat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins
We never had a TV in the tt until our daughter was 3. I leave my bug light on at night as a "security" light.

If you asked me, I'd probably turn it off. Never let the lights or noise bug me too much. I just run a fan and drown them out!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #28
I am not a music person and most of the time other people's choices of music(including my kids) is not shared by me. I prefer no music..or very low volume. Most of the time other people's music bothers me, but I would not say anything till late. They are on vacation too. I have to watch our kids to ensure low volumes of all kinds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
totalled 04-11-16 by storm(picking up new one 10-26-16)
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #29
1 and 3 are my choices. Be nice. Invite them for a cold beverage. Let them know the light shines in through your bunks and it keeps you awake. Drink some more. Laugh about other things and problem will likely be solved. If they are idiots and get ticked off about it, there are other things you can do.

In fact, here is one of things you can do, which will help keep out the light and help insulate your bunks. Get some reflectix from the hardware store (or online), cut it to size, and put it around the inside of your bunks. It blocks the light and keeps you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. We did that on our Pop Up and we loved it! The alternative is PopUp Gizmos. They cover the bunk ends with reflective material which also does the same thing as the reflectix. They are purpose-built for your particular trailer, so will be even easier to use.
Ben and Doreen
Home Away From Home - 2017 PT Crusader 315RST
TV - 2008 F250 Lariat 4X4 6.4 Diesel
42 nights camping in 2015
49 nights so far in 2016 (Still Not Enough!)
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #30
Having camped for over 30 years, I've had stages of compassion for my fellow travelers. It has ranged from "get over it" to "sorry, I didn't realize". One trip I had too good of a time with the Bourbon and went to bed and left the outside TV on. Sometime 3:00 am the programing changed to a horror film with much screaming and noise. Neighbor came over next day and politely ask for more quiet. I agreed and problem solved. New TT, didn't realize the outside speakers were on. I sleep with TV on inside, neighbors enjoyed my programing all night. Brought to my attention, another problem solved. Asking may not always work but it's a place to start. I do hve empathy for light sensitive people. If it were me, I'd equip my TT so no outside light could enter. Easier than trying to get everyone else conform to my needs.

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote