Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 09:49 PM   #1

Campground etiquette what would you have done?

My DH and I just returned from a wonderful week of camping. The start of our vacation brought up a topic for discussion and we never got the chance to come to a conclusion. The couple next to us left their outside light on 24 hours a day. It was a very large light and they did not put out their awning to shade it. The light being on was not a problem until it got dark. Then the light shown brightly through the canvas. We have the 183 model and the bright light came through all of the bunks. We could not decide if we should say something or not. We came up with some options to deal with the light:

1) kindly ask them to turn it off at a reasonable hour
2) just wait it out and they may leave soon
3) have another glass of wine and then it won't matter

The couple left 2 days after we arrived and we never came to a conclusion so we decided to ask the forum instead.

2013 7 nights camped
2014 10 nights camped
2015 17 nights camped
2016 10 nights camped
Hockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
Senior Member - Retired

My suggestion would be to keep your eyes out for them the next day and ask if they would please turn off their outside light around 11:00 PM or so. Further suggest you should have let them know their light was very bright and shown onto your unit making it difficult to sleep.

I had someone approach me earlier this year asking me to turn of my outside LED lights on my Class A. I had neglected to turn them off when we went to bed as I normally do. Even though the people were in excess of 200 feet away form us, I apologized and made a special effort to be a good neighbor.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:17 PM   #3

Some campgrounds will require bright lights and even outside TV's be off during quiet hours. Report it to your campground host so they can deliver the message. If they get pissy with you after the host talks to them then you know that going to the host was the right way to go.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
My suggestion would be to keep your eyes out for them the next day and ask if they would please turn off their outside light around 11:00 PM or so. Further suggest you should have let them know their light was very bright and shown onto your unit making it difficult to sleep.
X2
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:17 AM   #5

I wouldve asked them to turn it off the following day. I've found that usually people don't even think about or realize what they're doing that may be bothering others.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:38 AM   #6

i leave mine on all night if i have power hook up, its yellow, not too bright and my awning is out if the weather is ok. So dont think it would bother anyone. Most often my next door neighbor is family and they have never said anything to me.

My GF is a light sleeper so just people talking at a campfire can keep her up even with noise from a fan and or A/C. I always suggest another glass of wine to her so i like that option

Honestly thought, if i was the one with the light on, politely ask me to turn it off, i would rather hear it from you than the park ranger/staff. If i was to say deal with it ok tell the park on me but most wouldnt say that, just think its friendlier to ask direct that to rat someone out to the park

Our trip this past weekend, at 8 pm we had a neighbor across the road a few sites down ask us to turn our radio down, he said it wasnt that loud but pointing in their direction made it seem loud. Well it was not pointed at him but even though it was only 8 we turned it down since he was nice about it. just turning it down a few notches we could barely hear it which made me realize it was not that loud. So we grumbled a bit, turned it off and used a small hand held radio close to us at the family circle while the kids played in the field. Needless to say, the rest of the night, till probably mid night we could hear their radio and their loud laughter, which any other time is fine but not after telling us to turn it down. Needless to say, we had the radio on the next night, about the same volume till quiet hour. Had he asked again it would have been a polite no.
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:48 AM   #7

I just close my blinds and go to sleep. In my RV you could turn your headlights on me I not see them.

I don't leave my outside light on but I'm sure I forgot it at times. He won't be there next week. Enjoy you camping trip.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:53 AM   #8

I don't think it would of hurt to say something. Any considerate person would understand the situation after it is brought to their attention and i would only hope they would respect you for saying something and shut the light over at a decent time.

If they don't respect your concerns then you go over and pull the bulb when they aren't around.
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:20 AM   #9

I would have done your three options in this order.

I would have done number one first. If your neighbors refused your request then I would do number three followed by number two.

I was going to post a dirty trick to pull on jerks but then my post probably would have been deleted.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:22 AM   #10
(Dry Huunday)

X 4 or 5 with the "Politely ask them first" and then go to the Host/Office if needed.
Pretty much what I try to do with any "issues" we have with fellow campers.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpa098 View Post
i leave mine on all night if i have power hook up, its yellow, not too bright and my awning is out if the weather is ok. So dont think it would bother anyone. Most often my next door neighbor is family and they have never said anything to me.

My GF is a light sleeper so just people talking at a campfire can keep her up even with noise from a fan and or A/C. I always suggest another glass of wine to her so i like that option

Honestly thought, if i was the one with the light on, politely ask me to turn it off, i would rather hear it from you than the park ranger/staff. If i was to say deal with it ok tell the park on me but most wouldnt say that, just think its friendlier to ask direct that to rat someone out to the park

Our trip this past weekend, at 8 pm we had a neighbor across the road a few sites down ask us to turn our radio down, he said it wasnt that loud but pointing in their direction made it seem loud. Well it was not pointed at him but even though it was only 8 we turned it down since he was nice about it. just turning it down a few notches we could barely hear it which made me realize it was not that loud. So we grumbled a bit, turned it off and used a small hand held radio close to us at the family circle while the kids played in the field. Needless to say, the rest of the night, till probably mid night we could hear their radio and their loud laughter, which any other time is fine but not after telling us to turn it down. Needless to say, we had the radio on the next night, about the same volume till quiet hour. Had he asked again it would have been a polite no.
I'll suggest that you do double check in the direction of your light that there are no neighbors with windows near you. Those amber lights are still quite bright in the black of night. I enjoy sleeping with my bedroom windows open and have definitely been bothered by amber before. I don't say anything to a neighbor unless it is the white/led lights tho.

Personally, I don't feel it's necessary to have any lights on outside after one has retired for the evening, so I would definitely mention something to the neighbor the next day.

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I would have done your three options in this order.

I would have done number one first. If your neighbors refused your request then I would do number three followed by number two.

I was going to post a dirty trick to pull on jerks but then my post probably would have been deleted.
Hey Pine Tree,since we were "Next Door Neighbors" at Goshen, and Reading line #3,I have a Slight idea about the "Spray Paint Graffiti,bullet holes,cut water hoses,deflated tires,bent over TV and Truck antennas"! Next time I will turn Off My "Scare Light" Youroo!!
Old 07-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #13

Never understood why folks load up an RV to venture into the great outdoors....and then have a radio or TV.....OUTSIDE their unit.

Seems to obviate the whole concept.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Hey Pine Tree,since we were "Next Door Neighbors" at Goshen, and Reading line #3,I have a Slight idea about the "Spray Paint Graffiti,bullet holes,cut water hoses,deflated tires,bent over TV and Truck antennas"! Next time I will turn Off My "Scare Light" Youroo!!
Oh no, I ain't about to mess with you. When I see a coffin in front of an RV I steer clear. I think that coffin at your place in Goshen last year had everyone intimidated.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Oz View Post
Never understood why folks load up an RV to venture into the great outdoors....and then have a radio or TV.....OUTSIDE their unit.

You are a one hundred percenter. Deal with life in black or white. Others see gray zones. Nothing wrong either way.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #16

Quote:

Don't mean this to sound like a flame (it's not), but some of us consider our RV as a movable vacation home, with all its comforts.
As long as I'm not bothering the neighbors, why not enjoy the radio or TV while outside?
If I wanted to rough it, I'd have bought a tent.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:53 PM   #17

Quote:

I will agree on the TV, but to each their own. How can you say something bad about music though? you have a guitar looking pic in your signature and mentioned looking to jam?? You play music where as i listen to it.

Camping to me is getting away from home and life's hustle and bustle. We enjoy going with friends and family, hiking, swimming, fishing, laughing, joking, chatting, playing yard games, cards..... could go on and on, nothing wrong with a little music in the back ground. Oh and that music in the back ground is fun to dance to around the fire at night, kids and adults (after a few drinks) love it!!

We all enjoy camping in many different ways, seclusion and peace for some, big group gatherings for others, or a retired way of living full time....
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:57 PM   #18

....not criticizing the practice(s)....unless it's after 10pm.

Just don't understand them.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:02 PM   #19

One time our neighbor camping were our good friends. He asked us to turn our patio lights off (LED strip) when we go to bed, they did bother him at night. To be truthful, they shine thru our bedroom window with the room darkening shades down. When I go to bed last, it's not until I go into the dark bedroom that I notice they are still on, then I turn them off. Another suggestion, on our bedroom side windows, which one is at DH head, and the other is right at my head. We have put up a dark brown hand towel, fits just right. Those room darkening shades just aren't dark enough.

HAPPY CAMPING
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck.C View Post
Don't mean this to sound like a flame (it's not), but some of us consider our RV as a movable vacation home, with all its comforts.
As long as I'm not bothering the neighbors, why not enjoy the radio or TV while outside?
If I wanted to rough it, I'd have bought a tent.
X2
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg