Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
I would say a heated mattress pad is a must with hookups. If you think you are going to be able to make the trailer feel like your house at 72 I would get a hotel. I have camped in a popup and a tt in below freezing temps and if your not ready for the cold , and it sounds like DW is not, it can be miserable.
FYI Iggy the op has a hybrid not a popup.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
I've camped in colder weather than that with our roo 19L. We used a down comforter with the heated beds on all night. If you don't have heated beds it will be chilly!!! I would be concerned with the lines freezing. We have the little heating pads on the tanks and drain valve and never had anything freeze yet.

2011 Rockwood Roo 19L toy hauler
2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD 6.0L
wlaczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
Ok...just did same scenario over thanksgiving at Williams ,AZ. And we have a pop-up so start laughing now!

For two evenings it got to 24. I had purchased heat tape but didn't use it because it said it would melt a rubber hose. Did go with the insulation though. Never unhooked the water line- just had a puddle (frozen) under the water connection in the morning. DW had purchased electric blankets just in case. Went with those along with the heated mattresses and it was wonderful. Kept at 65 inside at night cause we don't like cold toilets and ran a buddy heater. Beer chest was frozen solid each morning but defrosted enough by about 9 am for my "im on vacation drink"! In four days, including cooking thanksgiving dinner and dinner every night, went thru one 20 lb propane canister- second one was full. Oh yea- maybe a pair of thermals?

Don't put anti freeze in your fresh tank- it will take GALLONS of water to flush out that taste.
2014 Stealth Evo 2850- "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7- "Clifford"
2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Track Pack- "Julia"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Lay person answer.

rockfordroo is correct that water freezing in RV plastic pipes expand them to a point until they fracture. When it warms up and thaws you find all the leaks.

And I'm not a nuclear engineer.
Ditto. Fill a plastic bottle to the very top and freeze it. The bottle will expand and may very well burst; just like a pipe. Thawing just lets the water run out.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #15
It sounds like you're off to a good start.

In those temperatures, I would not consider camping without hook ups. Without a hook up you will burn through propane and have major condensation issues.
Dave, Southern,ON

2009 GMC K1500 4x4 Crew Cab
2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #16
We just got back from a few days at the Catalina SP near Tucson, AZ. The expected lows were to be in the mid 20s (which was concerning enough in our hybrid), but when we woke yesterday morning it was 13 degrees.

Fortunately we weathered the cold without damage, but we did cut the trip short a day early so we didn't push our luck.

I have the factory installed tank heaters that seemed to work fine. When we first woke up the water wouldn't flow (uh oh), but once I cranked the heat up inside the camper it flowed fine.

We had the heated mattresses set at "4," and the furnace at 65ish. I wouldn't have attempted it without hookups, and we ran an electric spaceheater all night which maintained the inside temps nicely.

I meant to buy and use reflectix, but never got around to it (it would definitely helped). I use the space blankets as PUGS, and they do work as professed. We had little condensation problems, but AZ isn't a very humid place.

We had 4 100lb dogs with the wife and me in the camper, so I assume that added to the heat maintenance.

The only problem I had was that the furnace would intermittently not work. I haven't yet troubleshot the issue, but fortunately the Mr Buddy and space heater picked up the slack.

I hope the info helps. I don't like pushing the envelope with a camper not designed for those type of temps, but at least now I know it can be done. BTW: The temps during the day rose into the 40s. We were able to easily maintain upper 60s during the day and 50s during the night inside the camper.
11' Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins
12' Rockwood Roo 233S
Current: AZ
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #17
When I had my hybrid I camped in sub zero temps with dw who was 9 months pregnant. I had automatic regulator so both tanks ran empty in middle of the night. It was freezing. Next day went to walmart and bought a electric heater seemed to do ok but still not enough. Decided to put 1 bed up and use table for bed for the kids. It was much more tolerable but obviously not as roomy. Moved upto a 3 tent hybrid a few years later and had to put 2 bunks up in order to cool unit in 100+ temps. Sometime just have to improvise in hybrids.
Now have 5th wheel with add on (factory) tank heaters much easier to weather the weather!
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
When we had it, we camped in our pop-up in cold weather. Coldest was about 5 degrees F. And stayed warm Didn't use the trailer water system during that trip though.

Another trick is to use two heaters if you're on 30A service, and then you might not need the propane furnance at all. If your trailer only has 15A plug or your breakers/outlets aren't configured for that large of a load, you can run a second 15A plug into the trailer (if you can find an existing hole, through one of the bed ends, or in through a slide seal), so you can run 2 electric heaters. I've seen 3 heaters used before, but I think that's overkill, unless it's -40 or something. You can do this by using 2 heaters on the 30Amp service, and running a seperate cord from the 15A plug on the post to run a 3rd heater. Don't count on the campground post to necessarily handle this though.

If your bed end's don't make a good seal where the canvas meets the structure, I used to use pool noodles shoved in that area on my pop-up to make a better seal and insulate around the perimiter of the bed. Before the pool noodles, I would shove clothes, and towels to stop the drafts.

Heated blankets are nice. I got way too hot using a heated mattress pad, but that's just me. I found with a heated pad, you can't get away from it, whereas with a heated blanket you can always toss it off if you get too hot.

Reflectix is great. Use it everywhere it makes sense. You can even make chair liners out of it to stay warmer by the fire.

Most important though is to stay dry, and have lots of firewood
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
Just survived 5 degrees two nights in a row in Cincinnati in a 28' Grey wolf TT. Water line heat tapes and insulation is a MUST. 5+ campers in our park had frozen lines. If it stays in the 20's you should be ok with that. If it drops any further you WILL have problems with frozen tanks and lines. In a hybrid I would not risk it at all unless you have full hookups and a good reliable space heater, maybe two. Make sure you pour RV antifreeze in the black water tank or have it heated and insulated. I leave my grey water tank open and just run hot water through it each night for about 5 min and there is no ice in the line. I did have a minor issue with a water line on the trailer freezing up but that's because the factory didn't insulate the line properly. Took care of that problem with the DW's hair dryer and some insulation tubing. A good tip would be to check EVERY line carefully to make sure there is something keeping them from the elements. Good luck
jtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
The Vornado fan heaters are great. They are a safe alternative to a space heater and really warm up the camper.

Spending on the size of your unit, you might want to get two.

FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote