Old 04-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #1

canvas coming loose

Hi all, Have a question? We have a 2013 roo 233S and the canvas is coming loose (high winds) from inside frame on all three beds, did this once last year and local dealer crimped it and said he did not know why they did not do this at factory but now alll three are coming loose where the glued canvas tucks into frame. Was wondering if others are having this problem, also wondering why you couldn't wrap glued canvas around thin board similar to yard stick or piece of similar sized aluminum and put it in frame seam and screw it in place to where it would look nice but hold a lot better than just sticking glued canvas in seam? any thoughts would be appreciated. Otherwise wife and I love camper and looking forwards to another summer in mountains.

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Retired and ready for Mtns.
Mr.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #2

similar type problem

I'm kind of having the same problem. My unit is a forest River Surveyor. Where the canvas tent connects to the camper, it has a one inch plastic piece that is spiting in half. I also was wondering if I could pull enough canvas through past the bracket and fold it around a rope or something then tighten the canvas?

Any thoughts

Armand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-25 18.51.04.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	31598  

Old 05-29-2013, 04:23 AM   #3

Canvas problems

Sorry to hear your having canvas problems, I think mine are different. Our canvas has a strip several inches wide at the top of canvas on inside of camper. This glued canvas is just not holding and when it comes loose you can see the blue sky or stars or heaven forbid if it is raining it just comes in because there is nothing between the inside camper and outside elements. We have had way too many problems with this 2013 Roo 233s and it has been a real pain trying to get things fixed under warranty. We bought ours at RV Wholesalers in Lakeview Ohio. Mr. Durnell has been great but dealing with his help has been a real pain, it is supposed to be better now. We had awning that would not open or close correctly, refrigerator circuit board went out, kitchen sink faucet that leaked, canvas that came loose, two deepcycle batteries that would not hold a charge and more. Took over a month to get repaired because of trouble with RV Wholesalers and Forest River warranty getting together, terrible experience. Back to your question, I have talked to the RV Dealer (who has been great) in Amarillo, Tx. and this is what we are going to try; If you can imagine a slim long narrow piece of aluminum (like a down scaled yard stick) taking the glued canvas and wrapping it around the aluminum and reinserting it into the groove at roof area (on inside of camper) then putting screws thru the groove, thru the aluminum and canvas and lastly thru the other side of groove. If this doesn't work I don't know what to do. I thought about wrapping canvas around small rope and inserting back in groove but I think the aluminum route is the way we are going to try.
We finally have all our other problems working and besides about thirty something overgrown clothespin type plastic (big) clamps holding all three beds canvas we are very happy with our camper. With the clamps we cannot close our curtains for any privacy and all the comments about how bad it looks for a 2013 model to have all these clamps exposed when inside the camper. You might try RV Net, I have had a lot better response to questions over there. Over here either no response or HAVE PATIENCE AS MR. DURNELL IS A MEMBER OF THIS BOARD AND WILL HELP YOU. Well he has but his support staff at his own business sucks. Any way hope it works out for you. As soon as we get back to Amarillo and hopefully get our canvas problems fixed we are headed back to mountains for summer whatever is left of it.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Old 06-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #4

Just went out for our first trip with the 2013 21SS. I noticed the same problem with our front bunk. The canvas must have came out of that groove on the top in the corner. Has any one come up with a fix yet. Im going to try the warranty to get it fixed but now im worried it will happen again. What a terrible design. That glue doesn't hold for nothing. They have to have a better system like screws or something. We love the camper but this looks like a big problem especially if it rains.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #5

I just noticed on our 21ss the previous owner must have run into the same problem.
Top of rear canvas has clear silicone sealant in spots. When I look close, I can see the uselessness of the design. I will pay more attention this weekend when I set up again and try to figure out a better way to crimp the canvas in.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #6

Name:	image-2443858869.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	33513

I attached a photo I hoped it worked. Did Any one else get warranty work or do it themselves this type of repair?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #7

canvas problems

On mine, it is flat out loose and held in place with about 30 clamps (counting all three beds) it is pure ugly. It goes into shop tomorrow and we are looking for a permanent solution. I could star gaze or fish out of any of the three beds. We love the camper but sure have had a lot of problems. Must have been built Monday morning or late Friday evening If this does not work I think with problems we have had with warranty work etc. we may just give up and go with different style and BRAND!!!
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Old 06-20-2016, 05:39 PM   #8

Unhappy Canvas coming lose Bunk ends, coming out of track

I really love my Shamrock 21Bd!
But I am having trouble with bunk end canvas coming out of rail or track what ever you want call it on each side of end!
The very first night we stayed in it and woke up side was separated from trailer a good foot and half could see out side though the 5 inch gap!
Took in for warranty work and a month later they had glued it and said they crimp it! Well ok its fix, but did not like design after owning another one before this one! Well next camping trip I notice other side coming out of track, pushed back in with my fingers and have been doing that on every camping trip to keep it from coming completely out! I can not take back in for warranty as to many trips already planned! Trying to figure way to fix my self, which would probably void warranty. But just putting silicone in track and pushing seam back in track and crimping it is not going to hold, poor design.
I ve contacted Forest river and don't seem to be too concern about and says there have not been any problems, all they got to do is go to this site and see were people are using clamps and every thing to fix this issue. I think that may be one reason they don't thank have a problem because people are not taking them in for warranty work!
Any suggestion on how to keep it in track or rail grove, its a 1/4 open track were they push canvas seam in it runging up and down side were canvas attaches to trailer!
Thanks Gar
Old 06-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarFish View Post
I really love my Shamrock 21Bd!
But I am having trouble with bunk end canvas coming out of rail or track what ever you want call it on each side of end!
The very first night we stayed in it and woke up side was separated from trailer a good foot and half could see out side though the 5 inch gap!
Took in for warranty work and a month later they had glued it and said they crimp it! Well ok its fix, but did not like design after owning another one before this one! Well next camping trip I notice other side coming out of track, pushed back in with my fingers and have been doing that on every camping trip to keep it from coming completely out! I can not take back in for warranty as to many trips already planned! Trying to figure way to fix my self, which would probably void warranty. But just putting silicone in track and pushing seam back in track and crimping it is not going to hold, poor design.
I ve contacted Forest river and don't seem to be too concern about and says there have not been any problems, all they got to do is go to this site and see were people are using clamps and every thing to fix this issue. I think that may be one reason they don't thank have a problem because people are not taking them in for warranty work!
Any suggestion on how to keep it in track or rail grove, its a 1/4 open track were they push canvas seam in it runging up and down side were canvas attaches to trailer!
Thanks Gar
Well it is now June 22, 2016!! The local dealer had no luck dealing with Forest River people, tried fixing it, it didn't work and I took a beating but traded it in. Took advice from some posters on here and dealt with a local dealer who " Will really take care of you" because you bought from them, well went on trip for several months, came back to Amarillo, Tx. and Darin if he hadn't gone out of business. He took my nearly new Roo to Lubbock and ran it thru an auction! That was how our loose canvas was remedied lol. Loved the Roo, just that canvas will not stand up to stress or slight wind, bad bad design. Warranty work on almost any camper is a hassle is what I am learning but like a Visio T V, NOBODY likes dealing with Forest River warranty work. Live and learn. Anyway good luck.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Old 07-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #10

Angry Shamrock 21BD Cavas bunk ends coming out of track

Well still having problems with bunk end seams coming out of side rail grove on front bunk every camping trip I have to push seam back in track every morning as it comes out, had for warranty work, but still does it, I don't have a solution yet and forest river don't care!
Freezer panel fell off door on way home from camping trip! I fixed
Table screws came out of table had to fix before we could use it! I fixed
Draw below oven feel out on floor, had to fix support under stove for it! I fixed
Picture 1 canvas, picture 2 screws on table not screwed in, freezer panel fell off and 4th draw support not secure to floor

Name:	20160221_083125.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	113406

Name:	20160511_074428.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	113407

Name:	20160705_180256.jpg