Old 09-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
There's a difference between the PROPANE detector and the CARBON MONOXIDE detector. On my Roo19, the Propane detector is down at floor level by the electric converter and battery disconnect switch. (Propane is heavier than air.) The CM is up on the wall over the sofa. (CM is lighter than air.) The original post was regarding CM, not Propane.
There is no difference in my trailer. I just checked it last week and it is a Safe-T-Alert combined CO and gas (propane) detector. It is located just above the floor and right under the refrigerator (which is located at the rear of the trailer). With the mass of CO at 28.01 g/mole and the mass of air at 28.9 g/mole, CO from incomplete combustion in my furnace or oven (located in the center of the trailer) could theoretically rise to the level of our bed (located at the front of the trailer) without ever reaching the CO detector.

The trailer is so small that it is not a likely scenario. However, my first boss after college died from CO poisoning in a pickup camper. So, I am not taking any chances and installing a battery powered CO detector near the head of the bed.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

I have a CoStar CO Detector (only) and the manual is less than informative as to the nuts and bolts of its operation.

It does say not to mount it within 5 feet of any appliance or furnace.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CoStar 9RV Carbon Dioxide Alarm.pdf (3.29 MB, 64 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

I found what I think you were talking about.
Carbon monoxide detector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The alarm points on carbon monoxide detectors are not a simple alarm level (as in smoke detectors) but are a concentration-time function. At lower concentrations (e.g. 100 parts per million) the detector will not sound an alarm for many tens of minutes. At 400 parts per million (PPM), the alarm will sound within a few minutes. This concentration-time function is intended to mimic the uptake of carbon monoxide in the body while also preventing false alarms due to relatively common sources of carbon monoxide such as cigarette smoke.

This does not mean the detector does not "reset" to zero after detecting CO. It means that it is "always" detecting some level of CO over a period of time and as long as the exposure over time is below the alarm setting; it will not go off. That is why a low level of CO over a short period of time will not set it off and a higher level, even briefly, will.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #14

Whoops, my mistake, also. You're right. Both the Propane and CM are near the floor near the converter. It's the smoke detector that's on the wall over the sofa. (Sorry, I've only had this Roo for a few months and we've only been out two weekends. And my home CM is on the ceiling with the smoke detector.)
Old 08-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #15

So if I turn off 2 propane tanks at the tank we should be safe until we can get it checked Nothing else can be harmful?
Old 08-15-2016, 11:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OswegoLion View Post
So if I turn off 2 propane tanks at the tank we should be safe until we can get it checked Nothing else can be harmful?
I would think so. Can't have a propane leak if it's shut off and can't have CO if there's no propane to burn.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:10 PM   #17

My co2 and propane detector is the same I beleive and it's down near the floor.

It recently started going off and will not shut off until I turn the main battery off for the rv.
We had a week long trip with no issues, now it's sitting the the driveway, I was working in it when it started going off.

Shut everything down and all was good. Few days later was in showing friends the new rig, was in maybe 10 min and then it started going off again. Only way to make it stop is to go out to the battery cut off switch and turn it off.
Help!
Propane tanks are off, stove checked...

Wolflack 315 pack 12 2017 model
Old 10-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #18

Propane detector will "chirp" when battery power is low.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #19

Agree with wharfrat48 about it chirping when the battery is low. I learned this the hard way camping in Yellowstone in AUGUST and the temp fell to 29 degrees and snow one night, and we weren't connected to electricity. The battery started depleting quickly with the furnace running, and eventually the detector starts chirping to alert you that the battery is running low on juice. So even though it still had enough juice to power the furnace a little longer, it chirps to tell you that the battery is getting lower on power. THANKS!!! It flashes a different pattern or color I believe, which in the manual states was the low battery indicator, not the CO2 detection.

I eventually had to disconnect the battery completely to stop the damn thing from chirping LOUDLY which meant no heat and its 29 degrees outside in Summer. :-) Oh and it was 2:00 am in the morning when all this decides to go down.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #20
Moderators' Assistant

Rodski, did you get a second battery, generator or solar after that experience?

'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote