Originally Posted by wiesenbornk
Our carbon monoxide detector keeps going off. It seems to happen on the first day of every trip. Seems like it coincides with using hot water. Anyone else have this issue?
Check the seal around the hot water heater. (where it joins the camper's wall).
I seem to recall a thread a few years ago where this was happening and there was no (or little) caulking between the metal of the water heater and the wall of the camper.
This allowed un-burned propane to enter the camper. The way the system works is there is a 15 second purge of propane before the spark occurs. If that spark fails to ignite the propane for any reason, the 15 second purge starts again. It will "purge/spark" 3 times before it locks out and you have to turn the switch on and off to start it over again.
This purge could allow propane to seep past a bad seal and enter the camper. The detectors are sensitive and if your detector is near the water heater it may be detecting the purge gas. If it seems to be taking a long time for the "reset" light to go out (30 seconds or so) the heater could be having issues getting a light initially. Check the flue in that case for spider webs that could be burned out after it finally lights.
Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW