Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #21

the following is pure conjecture on my part. i noticed the alpha shipped with the skylight is high solids, low VOC. maybe the equivalent of the non-sag dicor but with different VOCs possibly. Ive seen the plastic on the skylight discolor and be prone to cracking right where the dicor stops and the skylight begins on the sealing edge. at least the non-sag might be a better choice here with less VOCs....at least on the edge next to the acrylic.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #22

I wonder just how much of the deterioration of the skylight is purely related to the elements and/or mounting stress points. My roof is on a fifth wheel kept at a seasonal site in Florida, full sun and salt air, 24/7. The majority of our neighbors, who have developed leaks, get them from the skylights. Most if not all of the skylights are black, attract sun and get very hot, every day. To me it makes sense that it is just a matter of time before they get brittle and start to leak. Shortly after caulking, I spray painted mine with an entire can of Krylon, 4 coats. It is now bouncing the sun’s rays and is much cooler…
I am also curious to know if the skylights are made of the same materials. When cleaning this one I was surprised that when I pushed down on it, my thumb easily depressed the surface, very similar to a large children’s ball. Could have sworn that the material on my past RV skylights was much harder.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #23

your pretty much right about the sun. i just snug them down when i swap them. too much deformation when tightening will crack it over time. 303 at regular intervals might be better than the VOCs in paint but ive never painted to know. if i can find a skylight with the crazing at the edge where the caulk meets ill post..
Old 07-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #24

X3 on the Eternabond tape. It fixed my leaking problems around the antennae, bathroom skylight, and the front part of the roof (above the front bunk) where it starts to make the curve. I had major leaking problems above the front bunk and this fixed it. After 2 years it is still holding up in the Texas sun. Very easy to install and is not messy. I've used Eternabond brand and another cheaper version found on Amazon and both work and held up the same.

2020 Flagstaff Super Lite 26FKBS
2018 Ford F-150 Super Crew Platinum

Previously owned a 2018 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Aqualight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:09 PM   #25

So the title to this thread included other seams so would love to ask if anyone caulks around the windows as well as the roof. We have Microlite 21FBRS & DH finished roof today & was wondering .....

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:22 PM   #26

i do windows all the time. some have a foam sealant that dries out leaving large gaps, especially on the non-smooth side coaches. my fav is lexel at ace in clear. the 35 year silicone/ acrylic is common for colors.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:55 AM   #27

What are the frameless windows sealed to the unit with, looks like a gasket of some sort.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk, roo, roof