Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #1

Ceiling Repair and/or replacement

Hello all, I have a '99 shamrock with obvious interior water damage on the ceiling from years ago. The exterior roof looks fine, which may mean the rubber has been replaced by a previous owner. I wanted to sell the camper but a prospective buyer, who seemed to know what he was talking about, explained how bad things probably are in my roof. In good conscience I feel that I either have to price this thing at almost "salvage" value in hopes of someone willing to work on it will buy it; or I undertake the task of repair myself. Sending it to a dealer for a thousand bucks is not worth it either way...I'll keep camping in that case, because really it does not leak now. I'm looking for links to people who have replaced entire ceilings and how to go about it. I'm also looking for specific items that I have to buy from a dealer (or repair shop) like ceiling panels etc. and whether it really does make sense to go through the repair or sell for a low price ($2000 for example). Sitting here now I worry about what all I have to take apart, not so much worried about the re-install. My goal for now is to camp in it this season and go for it in October. I just need to find some optimism for a good repair or be consumed by pessimism and sell. I have posted on here before about the bunk door I repaired so I have the tools and time to do it but I just have to find some more knowledge.
Thanks

Old 07-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure about a camper that old, but here you go. If it has strips between the ceiling panels, they usually just "snap" in. Try to remove them and not break them if you want to reuse them. Once the strips are down, you will find that the panels are help in place with a thousand staples, because the new guy likes to pull the trigger on the air stapler. (just kidding). Will help to have a small pry bar to get them out, and since you are replacing, damage to the panels will not matter, but keep it as "whole" as you can for a pattern to make new ones. Of course any light fixtures should be removed before you start. Yo can probably keep AC power on, as long as there are no plugs in the ceiling, but kill the breaker for the converter and unhook the battery for DC. Don't want any wires touching where the lights were removed. You will find insulation in the roof, above the panels, and hopefully not much damage. Not a terrible job, just time consuming, and will need a friend to help hold new panels in place while you get your turn with the air stapler. I use an 18 gauge narrow air stapler, but a good electric one with long staples may work. Might be able to find some paneling from Lowe's or Home Depot you like to replace it with. As for dealer items, maybe the strips between, if you break one, or just get some flat molding and staple that up also. Good Luck, it can be done.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #3

So it sounds like I could do two different repairs...one on the interior panels and maybe some insulation from the inside, but also checking the exterior...which would me tearing off the rubber roof membrane and replacing it at the very minimum right?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyShamrock View Post
So it sounds like I could do two different repairs...one on the interior panels and maybe some insulation from the inside, but also checking the exterior...which would me tearing off the rubber roof membrane and replacing it at the very minimum right?
If it isn't leaking now, why replace the roof. Just inspect the seams and if necessary, clean them real good and cover with eternabond. The inside should not be a problem to replace, just time and patience. Just make sure you put electrical tape on the ends of the 12v wires so you don't get a short. I would sure use styrofoam insulation as thick as possible to replace what is already in there and no doubt water soaked/damaged. If it is styrofoam, make sure it is dry and I would not replace it unless there is mold. Have fun, a couple hundred bucks and some sweat equity and you'll be just fine.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #5

"Why Replace if it isn't leaking?" A good question that I'm sure might interest some others on the forum. Well, when you want to sell it...everybody will ask about the issues. Now that I'm not an RV Rookie, I know that there are issues for everybody, and surprisingly even brand new owners I guess I want to make it eventually more sellable but I also don't want to let the thing dissentigrate on me because I'm assuming that is what is happening slowly with any wood that was previously getting wet. i mean, I feel mostly solid ceiling but there are some soft spots. I have walked on the roof with confidence in solid feel except for two areas, maybe small.
Thanks

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock