Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 12:02 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeerose View Post
Is it not alright to put them down the drain in the galley sink? I was always under the impression that coffee grounds were good and that they helped to clear the drain of any residue. Since our grey water is always running through, as we are permanent, the grounds should not be a problem - or should I be reconsidering this move? Thanks.
I own and run a plumbing business, and whether it's an RV, or a house, coffee grounds down the drains is NOT a good idea. Soap, liquids, and the small amount of pan grease or food residue that is left (AFTER you've scraped most into the trash), are the only things that should go down any sink drain.
rafterq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:33 AM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigell View Post
Throwing any Food Product (such as Coffee Grounds) is Against Regulations in ANY Federal Campground as well as most State Parks...
In all seriousness, just because there is a Federal regulation against something doesn't make it right. If you doubt it, look at the water problem in CA., school lunch programs, etc.

Anyway, enough taking extreme stances on something like this. Have a nice time camping for the rest of the season.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #43

Flight Attendants put coffee grounds in the lav all the time to cut down on the smell and I've never heard of it being a problem. (Other than I hate the smell of coffee brewing because it reminds me of stinky airplane lavs)
Spkittrick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #44
Occasional campers

Shake, Rattle and Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
A garbage disposal would shake every rv FR makes to pcs.
The interstate highways in Indiana do a fine job of that (shaking). After our last trip one of the decorative hubs is missing and I had to replace all of the refrigerator door shelves--supports were cracked from the whamming and banging.
Ray and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
In all seriousness, just because there is a Federal regulation against something doesn't make it right. If you doubt it, look at the water problem in CA., school lunch programs, etc.

Anyway, enough taking extreme stances on something like this. Have a nice time camping for the rest of the season.
Sound wisdom there!!
Old 08-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #46

Coffee grounds are the worst thing for your plumbing at home and in your camper. Much better to dump them out by a tree or save the for your composting at home. I save mine in a empty coffee can( or something like that) let them dry out and put on ant beds ,
Luckylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #47

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Coffee grounds are organic,,,,,that shouldn't be such a hard decision to make. Throw them back to nature, but be considerate where you throw them....somewhere off the beaten path where somebody NEVER would walk.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #48
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Just like engine oil!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #49

Can some one please tell me why coffee grounds or so bad for your plumbing. I have been putting mine down the drain for 15 years, in my house, and I have never had a problem.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #50

I wish some one would have told me 50 years ago not to put coffee grounds down the sink drain. Oh well no problems yet!
Old 08-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #51

Fred says: Hey Mable, it looks like camping season is about to wind down.
Mable: Seems too early for that yet, why do you say that Fred?
Fred: The fellas have nothing better to talk about than coffee grounds.
Mable : Well that just beats all. Last year it was______.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:30 PM   #52

Just dump them anywhere outside that will not cause a mess or annoy anyone else. Coffee ground are a good nutrient for plant life.

I spread mine all around my property after they are dry at which point they are like dust. I even put them in my indoor plant pots s few times a year.

I am fearful of clogging my home sewer line nes with coffee ground and will avoid dumping in RV.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:45 PM   #53

I too think I would just throw them in the bushes and feed the plants.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #54

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
The coffee grounds are kind of rough on the neoprene seals at the gate valves of the tanks. The grounds COULD keep the valves from positively shutting,,,,thus making a leak bigger and bigger. To each his own. I don't even use sandy sewer treatment in those little pillow packets that doesn't dissolve completely. Some people don't worry about it.....me? I'm a little OCD I guess. Brass seats in faucets that get eaten up by calcium in the water is the same priciple. Do what you want.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #55
WFD

Better yet...get yourself one of those Keurig machines that has the coffee grinds in its own little plastic holder and you can toss that whole thing in trash...no mess there!
Old 08-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #56
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Better yet...get yourself one of those Keurig machines that has the coffee grinds in its own little plastic holder and you can toss that whole thing in trash...no mess there!
And IMO throw the coffee in with the little plastic holder and toss both in the trash!
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #57

If you use plastic bags for trash, you can buy bio degradable to fit any size trash can. It's what we do. My own little attempt at not killing off the environment.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:24 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Paul View Post
I wish some one would have told me 50 years ago not to put coffee grounds down the sink drain. Oh well no problems yet!
For anyone who thinks coffee grounds are suitable to go down the drain, I'd have to ask, what DON"T you put down your drains? Then I'd hand you my card, but, what do I know, I've only been cleaning drains for 30 years.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:22 AM   #59

I have not been cleaning drains but I know there is more to it than just coffee. My father seem to always be clogging is kitchen drain and he never but coffee grounds down it. Not saying the grounds didn't make things worse just that there is more to it than just coffee.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Fred says: Hey Mable, it looks like camping season is about to wind down.
Mable: Seems too early for that yet, why do you say that Fred?
Fred: The fellas have nothing better to talk about than coffee grounds.
Mable : Well that just beats all. Last year it was______.
LOL! And I thought I was going to get a simple yes or no! BTW, we did NOT put our coffee grounds into either tank. We dumped them on our noisy neighbors... No, seriously, we put them in the trash. Not that big a deal.

If that becomes too much of a hassle I'll start doing pour-overs (which are more of a hassle) or pick up a Keurig Mini.

Thanks for all of the interesting input. We're good. But if you all want to continue the coffee ground discussion it is fine by us.
drhroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, tank, water, water tank