Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #1

Composting toilet

Does anyone here use a composting toilet? From what I've found on the web, it seems to be a great idea. No black tank, no odor, no water and can last several weeks before it needs to be cleaned out. I found this full timers couple's site 'gone with the wynns' and they swear by it. Tempting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:12 AM   #2

I was watching a show on TV that was putting them in "small Houses". It's a interesting show and I was very interested in the composting toilet. I was going to research them but hopefully I will learn about them here.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #3

Well, after much research, I just ordered a Nature's Head composting toilet. No more dumping of black tank in tote and dumping station. No more wasting fresh water to flush. I can use the black tank as an additional grey tank. Can't wait to receive it and install it in the spring.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #4

Holy smokes, you're going to fit a Nature's Head into a FR expandable? One would never have fit reasonably in our 21SS, especially with the need to "crank the handle!" My best friend's father has the toilet in his hunting cabin, and likes it well enough but complains about it only holds 2 gallons of "liquid waste" so that's a lot of dumping to keep up with what one person produces per day. The average person expels about one-half their fluid intake per day with normal activity. So that's about 2 quarts if you follow the ~1 gallon recommended intake. Plenty more if you're an avid hydrator, coffee drinking, and enjoying the ice cold brews while camping!

Let us know how it works out for you! We may return one day to more primitive camping/boon-docking.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:41 PM   #5

If you have heard of the Wynn's on You tube, they SWEAR by theirs.

I cannot get my wife past the notion of handling #2 into a glorified litter box as she calls it. I love the idea, but I have to work on her some more.
carlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #6

I measured the space and it should fit well with a bit of room to spare. I ordered the one with the spider crank. I saves 3 inches they say compared with the regular crank.
I've seen all the videos, including the Wynns' and everybody swears by it.
And for liquids, I try to use a tree as often as I can.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #7

Interesting concept. The only composting toilets I know of either slowly drain into a leach field, or have to be dumped. Both take chemicals and time. I am curious what the advantage is? Where do you dump the compost? Please keep us posted on the #1's and #2's of the matter.
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #8

The whole where to dump what and when is a topic that I have not seen much coverage on. The solids/compost can be used to fertilize non edible plants, but when not near a flower bed that need some "help" what then. And then there is the whole Urine element. I guess just take that into a regular toilet every so often?
carlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #9

From what I have read, the toilet can take about 90 uses till it's full and has to be dumped. If there are no appropriate compost pile to throw it on, some will dump in a compostable garbage bag and put it in a dumpster. I assume it will continue to compost and just be dirt in the landfill. The longer it stays in the toilet, the more pleasant it is to empty as it turns to dirt. The urine can be dumped in a park toilet or I've read that it can be dumped on the ground where allowed and even better if diluted. It's a sterile liquid.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #10
Professional Texan

I would a soon do in in the woods like a bear. No chemical and back to nature the natural way

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
hamster

I would rather use my conventional toilet and visit the dump station on the way out.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
I would rather use my conventional toilet and visit the dump station on the way out.
+1. No interest in a composting toilet. We have plenty of water here in PA, and it's your friend. We have composting toilets in our State Parks and State Forest rec areas, and they're disgusting, to put it bluntly. I would never be so bold as to un-engineer what many RV designers (and users) have done before me. But good luck, keep us posted on how it turns out.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:04 PM   #13
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gocamp View Post
From what I have read, the toilet can take about 90 uses till it's full and has to be dumped. If there are no appropriate compost pile to throw it on, some will dump in a compostable garbage bag and put it in a dumpster. I assume it will continue to compost and just be dirt in the landfill. The longer it stays in the toilet, the more pleasant it is to empty as it turns to dirt. The urine can be dumped in a park toilet or I've read that it can be dumped on the ground where allowed and even better if diluted. It's a sterile liquid.

If you're going to use a compostable toilet please dispose of the waste properly. Compost materials, especially poop, does not belong in a dumpster. Setup a composting area at home and use the compost in a garden. Dispose of the liquid waste in a toilet or outhouse.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #14

I just saw these on reruns of the show - Tiny Houses. they look interesting.

It seems like just a different type of work. Not much easier.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote