Old 05-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #31

Just wondering. Do the heated mattresses help with keeping condensation down under the mattress? We camped in very cold weather last October and had lots of condensation on the tent ends. I didn't notice under the mattress, but I never really looked. We did have the heated mattresses on though.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:51 AM   #32

If the mattress heater raises the temperature above the dew point there will be no condensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 05-06-2016, 09:12 AM   #33

Though I have a class A, DW and I always burn a candle in the rig, even during warm summer days to help prevent the damp feeling the can set into a RV, especially at dusk. Leave one burning all night to for the exact reason of burning up the dampness during cool summer nights while sleeping with the windows open. Since there is only the two of us we don't fear a fire or anything dangerous with the candle burning.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archicamper View Post
If the mattress heater raises the temperature above the dew point there will be no condensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Wouldn't the heat of the mattress meeting the coldness of the bunk end platform cause more condensation? We always had the condensation right under where we was laying. Nothing around the edges of the mattress, just where our body heat was.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disa View Post
Thanks for this. I made a cover with two space blankets (till I buy a Pug) which fixed the condensation on the roof of the tent ends, but very wet underneath the bed.
So we bought reflectix and I put it underneath the bed, but that didn't not fix the problem. The next idea was to try and put the reflectix under the outside of the platform...
I was not too excited about this method, and so, I am happy to hear about the foam underneath the bed. Perhaps the reflectix was just not thick enough. Right now I am lifting and drying the mattress every other day with the fan. A pain for sure.
Thanks again.
You're welcome! Hope it helps. The rigid 1" foam can be a little bit of a pain to store when traveling, but it was the only thing that worked for us to stop the condensation.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #36
Site Team

The condensation on the bed platform surface ( which then wets the bottom of the mattress) comes from the moisture from your body penetrating the mattress and condensing on the cold platform. The best way to prevent it from occurring is to have a moisture and temp barrier between the mattress and the cold bed platform. A sheet of foam insulation will keep the moisture from reaching the cold bed platform and keep the bottom of the mattress warm enough not to allow the moisture to condense. This can happen in a pop-up, hybrid and even in a larger TT or 5er with an unheated basement beneath the bed. Many times this moisture goes unnoticed until mold forms and starts to smell. You can also get moisture between the head of the bed and the RV wall if the mattress touches the wall. The easiest way to cure this is to place a small pool noodle between the mattress and the wall to allow for circulation.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Wouldn't the heat of the mattress meeting the coldness of the bunk end platform cause more condensation? We always had the condensation right under where we was laying. Nothing around the edges of the mattress, just where our body heat was.
I don't think this is the case. Heat typically is your friend. I would venture to say that the center of the mattress is the coolest spot. The mattress does a pretty good job of insulating you from the outside which is pretty much right underneath you. The edges stay warmer from the air inside the camper. Also there is some air movement around the edges of the mattress that will also have a drying effect.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:56 PM   #38

I remember the first time I was awaken after a cold night in the tent camper, thinking I was being peed on.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #39
Who Dares, Wins

That's what happens when you assume the kids walked the dog when he was crying at the door.... OH YEAH.... Right, condensation!

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote