Old 10-03-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
condensation inside the bunk end

ugg!! We just went to crawl into bed and the insides of the top of the bunk ends are covered with condensation. its cold and raining outside and we have the furnace running inside (without setting off the smoke alarm for those of you who read my earlier post). i was surprised to see water droplets all over the inside of the canvas. DH says its condensation. We kicked on some fans to move air around. How do we prevent this in cooler wet temps in the future? Anyone else encounter this issue? thanks all, and happy and dry camping!

artsygirl1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant
There are literally hundreds of condensation posts in the Hybrid section or any other RV forum's Hybrid section.
That's why Popup Gizmos or the generic solar blankets are the #1 Hybrid mod. They and air movement are the keys to eliminating condensation.
Many newbies close up their hybrids like a submarine, which is a bad idea.
So breathing humans and furnaces create lots of trapped moisture.

Sounds like you don't have PUGs. Get them and leave roof vent cracked and a tent window flap opened. A bunk end fan can help too.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:03 AM   #3
bikendan, you are absolutely correct. we are completely new to hybrids and we closed it up tighter than a submarine. we did try to get some air moving but failed to pop open a ceiling fan, window or unzip a bunk end. i've done all now and I ordered PUGS this morning. we'll get the hang of it with the help of good folks on the forums here like you who are willing to help point us in the right direction. Thank you very much for the reply and for your help!

Any other suggestions or a list of "must haves or must do" for new hybrid owners that the PDI/dealer may not have told us?

happy camping!
artsygirl1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:19 AM   #4
Engineer of Crazy Train
Dan is our Resident Hybrid Guru. He's been doing this longer than us. I was in your boat, once. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:28 AM   #5
I've tried to convince people the easiest way to prevent condensation from forming is to stop breathing. For some reason I've made more enemies than friends by suggesting this method...
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #6
Site Team
When we had our hybrid, we put thin self inflating air mattresses under the bunk mattress. The moisture from your body will penetrate the mattress and condense when it hits the cold platform. The vinyl covering and air gap help prevent the condensation.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
Take The Road Less Travld
Ya gotta start somewhere. You will love your hybrid!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #8
Canadian Member
You'll love the Popup Gizmos in your hybrid. Well worth the cost. We always camp at sites with electricity so we used 1 or 2 portable electric ceramic heaters like this one.
Likewise Ceramic Heater | Canadian Tire
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #9
I do a fair amount of driveway camping... where I live it is pretty humid for three seasons. I have to keep the ceiling vent on and the bunk end zipper open about a foot or more to "sweep" the moisture that I generate when I sleep out of the bunk end. Otherwise it will almost always create quite a bit of moisture condensation on the vinyl roof of the tent end if the evening cools off at all. Low 60's at night is enough to create condensation.

I have never camped without an electrical hookup so I use electric cubes heaters to keep warm on cool evenings. I have a 15 inch fan that I often use on low in the camper just to circulate the heated air off the ceiling. All of the slightly moving air on those rainy or humid cool nights also help with the condensation problem. SO far I have not gotten PUGS.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab HEMI 3.21 8 Spd 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
Has anyone here tried using Cedar Breather under their mattresses?

dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote