Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #1

Considering a 21DK

We are in the market for a TT and are looking at several Roo models but our dealer only had a 23ss and a 231ikss in stock. Both seem nice but we have a 3 year old and a 5 month old and we like the idea of having a tub and the layout of the 21dk also looks like we could use the bathroom at the side of the road without ext a slide unlike the 231ikss and maybe the 23ss.

However I have noticed that there are basically no posts from owners on the forum with a 21dk and our closest dealer (Topper RV) has never even seen one of them according to the salesman. Is there something wrong with this floor plan that we are not noticing? Does anyone have one that can share their thoughts?
rown4au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rown4au View Post
We are in the market for a TT and are looking at several Roo models but our dealer only had a 23ss and a 231ikss in stock. Both seem nice but we have a 3 year old and a 5 month old and we like the idea of having a tub and the layout of the 21dk also looks like we could use the bathroom at the side of the road without ext a slide unlike the 231ikss and maybe the 23ss.

However I have noticed that there are basically no posts from owners on the forum with a 21dk and our closest dealer (Topper RV) has never even seen one of them according to the salesman. Is there something wrong with this floor plan that we are not noticing? Does anyone have one that can share their thoughts?
We looked at that one. We didn't like it because u have to climb over the dinette to get to the bed. We bought the 233s roo last year. It gives us 3 tip out beds and the slide out dinette. We love it. Hope this helps.
Smitty65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
Site Team

well, just found out that FR has re-designed the 21DK. it now has a kitchen slideout.
i think the previous design wasn't that attractive with the u-dinette in front and no slideout. that may be why it didn't sell well and why FR has totally changed it. it's only been out for a year and yet FR has decided to get rid of the old layout.

the new 21DK is impressive and i think it'll be a much better seller and it still has the tub.

previous 21DK:
http://www.specialtyrvsales.com/inve...Roo-21DK.aspx#

new 21DK:
http://www.chesacorv.com/web/new/For...yland/5783186/
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #4

Welcome from a Spring member. We bought are Roo from Topper an had the best experience in the purchase. We ended up going with a 23SS and love everything about it. When I was at Topper 3 weeks ago they had about 15 Hybrids in stock. If I can help you with anything please feel free to ask.
keven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #5

I'm another Spring resident and I too purchased a Roo 23ss from Toppers RV. Had I only known Keven earlier perhaps we could have been offered big time offer .

We went with the 23ss over the 233s for a few reasons - the first is we only have one child. The second is that we liked the extra counter space and storage that the 23ss has. Third, I wanted a bit lighter tongue weight if that really exists.

We are absolutely addicted to camping. 100% all in.

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #6

thanks guys, the salesman at Topper seemed decent enough and was not at all pushy which was nice.

My wife is actually in Colorado visiting some family and the local RV dealer has a 21DK in stock so she is going to try and take a look at it tomorrow and see what she thinks. Topper said they can get one if that is really what we decide we want but I have no idea on time line to do so.

They had a two 23SS models and one 231IKSS in stock when I was there but nothing else. Both seemed nice but my wife really liked the idea of having a tub with the kiddos. and being able to get to the bathroom if needed with the slide closed. The 233S is out because we don't need the third bed as our kids are small and they can share one bunk for at least the next 3-5 years.

A few questions on your 23SS's:

Can you get to the bathroom in the 23SS if the slide is in?

I noticed they had very few if any outside storage compartments in the 23SS vs the 23 IKSS, do you find you have plenty of room for storage?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #7

Oh and Topper is not exactly around the corner for me either at roughly an hour's drive. After checking around a bit on line Topper's prices definitely seem to be more expensive than other places so we are toying with the idea of buying somewhere further afield as the price differential seems substantial.

How was your experience with them and have you had to do anything under warranty or deal with them for any after sale service?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #8

All of Toppers 23SS are fully load, if you notice the cheaper places aren't fully loaded atleast when I was looking. If you buy a Roo someplace else Topper has to warranty it but not in a timely manner.. They will take care of there customers that bought from them before somebody who bought else where.

Now I have had warranty work done the ac went out on the 3rd trip, the electric jack was hitting the front bed and spare tire cover was hitting rear bed. It was in two separate times and the longest Topper had it was 2 weeks and that was because they where waiting for a complete new ac unit.

I understand an hr is pretty long to drive but to me it's worth it.. I also don't know what part of Spring your in but from my house its pretty much a straight shot and the drive doesn't seem long anymore.

Not a lot of outside storage 2 compartments but the inside storage makes up for it all.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #9

As keven mentioned Toppers seems to stock fully loaded Roo's. I priced the wholesale rv places and even out in San Antonio for kicks. In the end the extra price I paid for wasn't that big a deal to me. If I were to have built out the Roo exactly as I purchased, then paid to have it delivered to me, it wasn't that large a difference. I also liked being able to take the Roo to Toppers for warranty work.

I have a small punch list going and will drop it off at some point to get the small items taken care of (back right burner doesn't light well, rear bed hits spare tire, and my external hot water access door hinge broke).

Yes, we can access the bathroom with the slide in, but I have found that we use the restroom facilities at the gas station. If I had little ones, that may be a different story. I have an 8 year old son, so our passageway is usually blocked by a bicycle!

There are only two outside storage access doors, but that hasn't slowed me down. I keep my black tank rhino stuff in a large plastic tub that I throw in the back of my truck. My city water hose, basic tools, electric supplies, levelers, chocks, etc all fit with plenty of room to spare in the storage compartments. I'm a newbie so perhaps I don't have everything, but I buy as I feel I need something.

The inside has plenty of storage. Matter of fact we are still figuring out where to put what!

I know the ikss model does not allow bathroom access with the slides in. As to your tub issue, that could be the deciding factor I suppose. Standing at 6'3" the shower is quite cozy , but it works.

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStick View Post
As keven mentioned Toppers seems to stock fully loaded Roo's. I priced the wholesale rv places and even out in San Antonio for kicks. In the end the extra price I paid for wasn't that big a deal to me. If I were to have built out the Roo exactly as I purchased, then paid to have it delivered to me, it wasn't that large a difference. I also liked being able to take the Roo to Toppers for warranty work.

I have a small punch list going and will drop it off at some point to get the small items taken care of (back right burner doesn't light well, rear bed hits spare tire, and my external hot water access door hinge broke).

Yes, we can access the bathroom with the slide in, but I have found that we use the restroom facilities at the gas station. If I had little ones, that may be a different story. I have an 8 year old son, so our passageway is usually blocked by a bicycle!

There are only two outside storage access doors, but that hasn't slowed me down. I keep my black tank rhino stuff in a large plastic tub that I throw in the back of my truck. My city water hose, basic tools, electric supplies, levelers, chocks, etc all fit with plenty of room to spare in the storage compartments. I'm a newbie so perhaps I don't have everything, but I buy as I feel I need something.

The inside has plenty of storage. Matter of fact we are still figuring out where to put what!

I know the ikss model does not allow bathroom access with the slides in. As to your tub issue, that could be the deciding factor I suppose. Standing at 6'3" the shower is quite cozy , but it works.
thanks for the info, I think the 23IKSS will be a no go due to the bathroom issue as well, our tow vehicle will probably be my wife's Expedition EL and with the two kids, two 60lb dogs, and all the other assorted paraphernalia I imagine we will need every inch of storage space we can get!!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #11

Half the time we tow with my wife's Expedition and have no problems towing the Roo. I wouldn't go much heavier then what we have already...
Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #12

We don't like it our self we had one with a tip out and all it was a storage area when we open it .If you camp early spring and fall they get cold at night .So we got one with a slide out and it fits are needs.Maybe it fits your needs because you have kids Have fun this year with it if you get it
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #13

I agree with Redstick on using Gas Station bathroom or rest stop. If you want to use the bathroom on the road that means you have to carry fresh water in the tank, which also means more weight you have to add in.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #14

It has come up in discussions with the dealer that the 21dk is the only model with a 21 or 23 foot box that does not have ducted air.

Does anyone have any idea How much of a difference will that make to keeping the bunks cool during the heat of a Texas summer?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #15

To the OP......Unless I've missed something, I don't see where you've mentioned your tow vehicle. Is this an issue for determining your trailer?

The bathtub would be handy for little ones, but, if you're planning on keeping the trailer for 5 or more years, I would strongly consider the 3 bunk version (233S).

We have a 2012 23SS and love it........counter space, closets, storage, u-dinette and yes, you can use the bathroom when the slide is "in".

Had the 23IKSS been available in 2012, I would have considered it.....great looking floorplan.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #16

What I liked about the ducted air the thermostat can be set to a temp you desire. Also it a lot quieter then the none duct air we had in our pop up. The air in the pop up had a high and low setting only. At night in high it would freeze us out on low it would be alittle warm for my liking.

If I can help you with anything please feel free to call.