Old 04-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #1

Question Considering a change

I bought a Flagstaff T12RB (hard-side popup) last September and I quickly learned on the one and only time we camped in it that it very very small even for two adults. So I am at the dealership in Bath NY looking at one of the Shamrock models, however my 2010 Subaru Forester only has a towing capacity of 2400 lbs. Needless to say I was disappointed to learn that my vehicle had such limitations and that I would not be able to purchase a larger unit.
Can anyone suggest a good towing vehicle that does not have to stop at ever fueling station? Thinking about a Chevy Suburban, but I haven't researched them yet, maybe a club cab? We are middle age couple that love our dog who comes along with us where ever we go. Something else worth mentioning is I am a full time student that commutes 80 miles to class and back so millage is a huge consideration.

"The only journey is the one within."
— Rainer Maria Rilke
beyond-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What size hybrid are you considering? The smallest Shamrock 17 hybrid is going to need something in the 4,000lb plus range. Then they go up from there in size with slideouts and 3 bunks being the largest.

Do you know which one you want?

Suburbans are fairly large for two people and a dog IMHO. Are you looking just at an SUV or would a pickup work? Personally, if it were just me and my DW and our golden, I would probably buy one of the new Ford Ecoboost pickups.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
What size hybrid are you considering? The smallest Shamrock 17 hybrid is going to need something in the 4,000lb plus range. Then they go up from there in size with slideouts and 3 bunks being the largest.

Do you know which one you want?

Suburbans are fairly large for two people and a dog IMHO. Are you looking just at an SUV or would a pickup work? Personally, if it were just me and my DW and our golden, I would probably buy one of the new Ford Ecoboost pickups.
I'm not sure which one I looked at except it was shorter than the others were with a front and rear slid-out sleeping compartments. The price of it was $16000.00
— Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 04-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #4

Many options...
I had a 2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 V6 Auto SuperCab that had a 5800 lb tow rating.
We carried 2 adults - 2 dogs.
12 to 14 city 18 to 19.98 hwy. Never broke 20 mpg with it.
It is a body on frame truck. You could get one cheap.

Now - 2011 F150 XLT 4x4 5.0 V8 Auto Supercrew cab 7700 lb tow rating.
12 to 14 city 19 to 22 hwy.
A Supercrew XL 2wd, you could get a brand new one cheap.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Ditto to what Scott said- I think the new ecoboost engines will give you a nice towing capacity and the gas mileage you desire!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
MI Camperz

I love the Suburbans. Classy Truck! After having a pop-up are you sure you want a hybrid with tent beds still? Not saying anything negative about them, just saying be sure.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #7

As long as your looking at a new TV might as well get one that will tow more than the Shamrock. Camper upgraditis comes on quickly as you are discovering.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond-there View Post
I'm not sure which one I looked at except it was shorter than the others were with a front and rear slid-out sleeping compartments. The price of it was $16000.00

Got it!

Its probably the 17, which as you can see below has two bunks and is their shortest unit.

Its GVWR (heaviest it is rated to weigh loaded) is ~3,800lbs. If you loaded to that extent, then I think any SUV or truck at 5,000lbs towing capacity and 1,000 lbs payload would be good for you. This would actually provide you some cushion, but not so much that its a gas guzzler.

Consider that Ecoboost if a pickup is your thing. Its reported to have some nice mpg ratings along with a fair amount of power. Otherwise, you have plenty of SUVs in that range, too. Just don't follow my lead. I tow with a Sequoia because of my family of 5 and a dog. I definitely would not recommend it if good gas mileage is key. Works well for me, but it can get thirsty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.GIF
Views:	54
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	29036  
Attached Images

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
I love the Suburbans. Classy Truck! After having a pop-up are you sure you want a hybrid with tent beds still? Not saying anything negative about them, just saying be sure.
The Shamrock was the first I have looked, does anyone know much about the the Micro? I'm not sure who manufacturer's it. My goal at this time is not to get an RV that is overly big or costly.
— Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 04-27-2013, 06:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Got it!

Its probably the 17, which as you can see below has two bunks and is their shortest unit.

Its GVWR (heaviest it is rated to weigh loaded) is ~3,800lbs. If you loaded to that extent, then I think any SUV or truck at 5,000lbs towing capacity and 1,000 lbs payload would be good for you. This would actually provide you some cushion, but not so much that its a gas guzzler.

Consider that Ecoboost if a pickup is your thing. Its reported to have some nice mpg ratings along with a fair amount of power. Otherwise, you have plenty of SUVs in that range, too. Just don't follow my lead. I tow with a Sequoia because of my family of 5 and a dog. I definitely would not recommend it if good gas mileage is key. Works well for me, but it can get thirsty.
I like the Ecoboost and the price is more attractive than other pickup's I have looked at. I'm certainly going to give it careful thought when I'm ready to trade in my Subaru

— Rainer Maria Rilke

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock